+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

COPR and coronavirus

inlandapplicant

Star Member
Mar 24, 2020
I received an email today from ircc etobicoke:

I am pleased to advise you that your application for permanent residence in Canada is now complete. Congratulations! You are now a permanent resident of Canada!
This letter constitutes an official document issued by the Department of Immigration, Refugees and Citizenship Canada. You can provide a copy of this letter to prove that you are a permanent resident of Canada and to apply for government benefits and services for which you are eligible, until you receive your permanent resident card.
This letter does not replace the permanent resident card; you are still required to submit the documentation to obtain your permanent resident card. If you have a Confirmation of Permanent Residence (CoPR) document in-hand, please send it along with one photo that meets our photo specifications to the address listed above. Please ensure that you write your unique client identifier (UCI) and name on the back of the photo. If your address has changed, please provide us with your current address.
If you do not have a (CoPR), please print a copy of this letter and send it to us along with one photo that meets our photo specifications to the address listed above; we will produce your permanent resident card once we receive it.
We realize that you may not be able to send this photo right now due to the Government of Canada’s order to stay home during the COVID-19 situation. Please send this photo to us when it will be possible as per your provincial and/or local authorities’ guidelines. In the meantime, this letter will serve as proof of your permanent resident status in Canada. You can use this letter for one year and it must be accompanied by a travel document or a federal/provincial/territorial identity document. The permanent resident card is required after this one-year period.
We are making every effort to produce and mail your permanent resident card, but there will be delays as our offices are either closed or working at minimum capacity. Issuance of permanent resident cards should gradually resume as COVID-19 related restrictions are eased.

For those who received this, do we have to sign ircc copy of the copr or no need? I will only send ircc copy plus 1 photo to the address of etobicoke ircc. We need to keep the client copy right?

sansnom

Mar 10, 2017
I received an email today from ircc etobicoke:

I am pleased to advise you that your application for permanent residence in Canada is now complete. Congratulations! You are now a permanent resident of Canada!
This letter constitutes an official document issued by the Department of Immigration, Refugees and Citizenship Canada. You can provide a copy of this letter to prove that you are a permanent resident of Canada and to apply for government benefits and services for which you are eligible, until you receive your permanent resident card.
This letter does not replace the permanent resident card; you are still required to submit the documentation to obtain your permanent resident card. If you have a Confirmation of Permanent Residence (CoPR) document in-hand, please send it along with one photo that meets our photo specifications to the address listed above. Please ensure that you write your unique client identifier (UCI) and name on the back of the photo. If your address has changed, please provide us with your current address.
If you do not have a (CoPR), please print a copy of this letter and send it to us along with one photo that meets our photo specifications to the address listed above; we will produce your permanent resident card once we receive it.
We realize that you may not be able to send this photo right now due to the Government of Canada’s order to stay home during the COVID-19 situation. Please send this photo to us when it will be possible as per your provincial and/or local authorities’ guidelines. In the meantime, this letter will serve as proof of your permanent resident status in Canada. You can use this letter for one year and it must be accompanied by a travel document or a federal/provincial/territorial identity document. The permanent resident card is required after this one-year period.
We are making every effort to produce and mail your permanent resident card, but there will be delays as our offices are either closed or working at minimum capacity. Issuance of permanent resident cards should gradually resume as COVID-19 related restrictions are eased.

For those who received this, do we have to sign ircc copy of the copr or no need? I will only send ircc copy plus 1 photo to the address of etobicoke ircc. We need to keep the client copy right?
Congratulations!
Did you have or attempted to make an inland landing appointment? If so, when? If not, when was your CoPR issueed?

indpnv

Mar 16, 2018
United States
I am not planning on to give a reason of not able to come back to US to Ircc. My primary concerns are the risks that traveling involves at this point because of covid.
I guess that is the reason the verbiage was updated to add unwilling to travel in this link few days back.
https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/corporate/publications-manuals/operational-bulletins-manuals/service-delivery/coronavirus/permanent-residence.html
Just got an email from CBP, see the last line. Applies to land travel only:

Thank you for contacting the U.S. Customs and Border Protection (CBP) Information Center.

In order to limit the further spread of coronavirus, on March 21, 2020, the U.S. reached an agreement with both Canada and Mexico to limit all non-essential travel across land borders. On April 20, 2020, all parties extended these measures for an additional 30 days.

Examples of non-essential travel include:
• tourism
• recreation
• entertainment
If you are healthy and must cross the border for work or other essential purposes, you may continue to do so. Some examples of essential travel purposes are:
• work and study
• critical infrastructure support
• economic services and supply chains
• shopping for essential goods, such as:
o medication
o items necessary for the health and safety of an individual or family
• health, immediate medical care, safety and security
Again, the recent border restrictions affect land travel. They do not affect travelers entering by air, freight rail, or sea.

Bs65

VIP Member
Mar 22, 2016
What exactly do u mean by soft landing? Could you pls explain?
Before COVID a soft landing would have been travel from home country , present your COPR to CBSA for processing and your details for PR card Application, goods to follow if you have it to customs and if Service Canada open at the airport get your SIN. Some people leave on same or next day back to home country and come back in a year or two.

So with COVID everything is the same except cannot get a SIN at the airport or at a service Canada office, online or mail only. Cannot leave on next or following day flight due to mandatory 14 day isolation.

So soft landing just means completing the PR process but not settling permanently until having sorted out home country commitments

Last edited:

DaChui

Mar 21, 2020
Guys, just got an email from CIC-Etobicoke-Landings, said that

"Good day, we are pleased to inform you that you are now permanent resident(s) of Canada. Attached, you will find a letter/letters confirming permanent residence status for you /and your family. We kindly ask that you read the letter carefully and follow the instructions concerning obtaining your permanent residence card(s) as well as applying for other government services. Congratulations and we wish you every success in your future in Canada! Please note that if you have a MY-CIC online account you may receive this letter twice. *** IRCC-Etobicoke – Landings Unit*** "

Is this legit? it's not from the generic CIC email address, but from CIC-Etobicoke-Landings@cic.gc.ca

Did any of you receive something like this?

sansnom

Mar 10, 2017

"Good day, we are pleased to inform you that you are now permanent resident(s) of Canada. Attached, you will find a letter/letters confirming permanent residence status for you /and your family. We kindly ask that you read the letter carefully and follow the instructions concerning obtaining your permanent residence card(s) as well as applying for other government services. Congratulations and we wish you every success in your future in Canada! Please note that if you have a MY-CIC online account you may receive this letter twice. *** IRCC-Etobicoke – Landings Unit*** "

Is this legit? it's not from the generic CIC email address, but from CIC-Etobicoke-Landings@cic.gc.ca

Congratulations! Did you have or attempted to make an inland landing appointment?

inlandapplicant

Star Member
Mar 24, 2020

yes. I also received this. There should be attachment with ircc logo in it

sansnom

Mar 10, 2017
no. I don’t have scheduled appointment butI have raised webform to schedule. Copr issued on March 12
Thanks! Mine was issued on Mar 11th; but still have not heard anything yet...
When did you raise webform? I submitted webform Apr 9th but their reply (Apr 16th) was:

Good day,

Thank you for contacting Immigration, Refugees and Citizenship Canada (IRCC).

The Government of Canada is closely monitoring the novel coronavirus (COVID-19) and any impacts on IRCC clients.

To manage the outbreak of the coronavirus disease (COVID-19), the Prime Minister announced travel restrictions that will limit travel to Canada.

We understand that these measures will affect several IRCC clients, including those who have received a Confirmation of Permanent Residence (COPR) and are currently inside Canada.

• Validating a COPR at a Port of Entry (POE):
    • due to the current travel restrictions, you should not travel to a POE to validate your COPR,
    • travelling to a POE from inside Canada for the purpose of getting immigration services is not considered essential travel, and you will not receive these services.
  • Appointment at a local IRCC office:
    • all in-person permanent resident landing appointments at the local IRCC offices have been cancelled until further notice,
    • local offices are reduced to critical services, therefore, no appointments can be scheduled at this time.
  • What happens next?
    • maintaining a legal temporary resident status is an important requirement. If your status is about to expire, you must apply online for an extension (visitor, student or worker),
    • we invite you to visit our website regularly to receive up-to-date information as more announcements are made.
Please be assured that we continue to closely monitor the situation and provide you with the most current information as the situation evolves.

We hope the information provided is helpful in assisting you with your enquiry.

We would also like to suggest the following online services that might be helpful to you with any immigration, refugee and/or citizenship future requests: