+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

COPR and coronavirus

prusa

Star Member
Jul 22, 2019
Guys - after much wait I was able to connect to an IRCC agent and I have some news for the folks in USA.

I asked about inability to travel and she said our policy is when you can come you should come.

She said per current travel restrictions, since your COPR was approved before March 18 you are exempt to come in and because you are in USA so there are no travel restrictions of travel from USA to Canada. So for you I would say you can come and you should come before your COPR expires.

I did say about the risk of virus and all, but she was adamant that there are no restrictions for your travel and you should come.

So.. I guess this is a clear answer for anyone where the home country has no lockdown.

kangk

Mar 19, 2020
Guys - after much wait I was able to connect to an IRCC agent and I have some news for the folks in USA.

I asked about inability to travel and she said our policy is when you can come you should come.

She said per current travel restrictions, since your COPR was approved before March 18 you are exempt to come in and because you are in USA so there are no travel restrictions of travel from USA to Canada. So for you I would say you can come and you should come before your COPR expires.

I did say about the risk of virus and all, but she was adamant that there are no restrictions for your travel and you should come.

So.. I guess this is a clear answer for anyone where the home country has no lockdown.
Did you speak to the agent by calling the call centre?

CanV

Champion Member
Apr 30, 2012
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
They recommend that but IRCC recommend you land if you are able to travel. They are 2 different agencies. There are quite a few people still entering Canada but going into quarantine. Would still suggest that those who are able to travel before their COPR land before their COPR expiry date.
i am honestly not sure who to report you to for encouraging people to travel at this time, even worse spreading the fear that people are risking losing their visas if they don't travel before expiry

Islander216

Champion Member
Nov 27, 2019

This is why i've been saying all along, check with them first.

They can tell you that if there is no travel restriction in the country you're living in that you should come and land as per the requirements of your documents.

Don't just listen to people here who are assuming you will all get an extension because of the pandemic, this is completely unfounded if there are no travel restrictions in your country.

Make sure you have an official communication from IRCC stating they will extend your COPR.

Last edited:

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
i am honestly not sure who to report you to for encouraging people to travel at this time, even worse spreading the fear that people are risking losing their visas if they don't travel before expiry
If you look @prusa previous post you will see that I have been providing correct advice. People are supposed to travel if they are able to travel.

Reactions: hinavin

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
This is why i've been saying all along, check with them first.

They can tell you that if there is no travel restriction in the country you're living in that you should come and land as per the requirements of your documents.

Don't just listen to people here who are assuming you will all get an extension because of the pandemic, this is completely unfounded if there are no travel restrictions in your country.

Make sure you have an official communication from IRCC stating they will extend your COPR.
Would make sure you have written proof that you will get an extension if you can technically leave your country but choose not to. The IRCC customer service often provides incorrect advice over the phone.

Last edited:
Reactions: Islander216

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
No, I have until Sept. 9th. I am in NJ (one of the hardest hit states) and it is just not possible at the moment to go through a move. I will contact them shortly and hope for an extension.
It is too early to ask for an extension for September expiry date. You are also in the US and there are no travel restrictions so you’d be expected to land.

as per @prusa post:

Islander216

Champion Member
Nov 27, 2019
Would make sure you have written proof. The IRCC customer service often provides incorrect advice over the phone.
Absolutely, but if you want to travel you just have to cite the exemptions provided by IRCC for approved PRs if you qualify under them.

I think It's more if you aren't travelling willingly, that you have to have something written which states IRCC will provide you an extension.

If you don't, you're taking a big risk.

j9lad

Star Member
Nov 24, 2017
Generally, customer care reps follow official guidelines and reiterate whatever the website/policy states because that's their job. If it's advice provided by an IRCC agent, I wouldn't treat that as official communication.

I live in the Bay Area and the relative number of cases is significantly high here. I cannot come to terms with the fact that the officials would be okay for a person to travel from a high-risk area, knowing that it might increase the chances of infection to folks in Canada. I understand that it's risky to not travel but with the current immigration situation in the US, it would be highly risky to base decisions solely on a suggestion from a support agent.

Reactions: DixvilleNotch

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Generally, customer care reps follow official guidelines and reiterate whatever the website/policy states because that's their job. If it's advice provided by an IRCC agent, I wouldn't treat that as official communication.

I live in the Bay Area and the relative number of cases is significantly high here. I cannot come to terms with the fact that the officials would be okay for a person to travel from a high-risk area, knowing that it might increase the chances of infection to folks in Canada. I understand that it's risky to not travel but with the current immigration situation in the US, it would be highly risky to base decisions solely on a suggestion from a support agent.
Canada is assuming that most have been quarantining at home before coming to Canada. These days airports and flights are pretty empty. Then have to into quarantine for 14 days.

prusa

Star Member
Jul 22, 2019
Does anyone know if we are allowed to use land border after april 22 - renewal of land border restrictions. I am trying to find the page on their website.