+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

COPR and coronavirus

ryeCatcher

Apr 21, 2019
In my opinion if you are able to fly but a bit hesitant due to health risks and no plans for quarantine yourself then why to travel. IRCC is stating that if you have no plans to quarantine yourself then please delay your travel. If you have a job offer to grab or planning to work in a job that can contribute to society directly or indirectly then please go ahead and travel.
This is my preference as well, but their messaging has been mixed and unclear.
It would seem that they will only grant extensions for those who "could NOT" travel, though on the other hand they seem to be actively discouraging travel as well.

Islander216

Champion Member
Nov 27, 2019
In my opinion if you are able to fly but a bit hesitant due to health risks and no plans for quarantine yourself then why to travel. IRCC is stating that if you have no plans to quarantine yourself then please delay your travel. If you have a job offer to grab or planning to work in a job that can contribute to society directly or indirectly then please go ahead and travel.
This is a leap.

Once you have a COPR and PR visa, it's your responsibility to land in Canada before their expiration. If you choose not to land because of your concerns but you're able to, you have to inform them and get confirmation that they deem your reasons valid, and accept extending your documents.

It's not a foregone conclusion.

I think they will be very flexible but you have to be sure they accept on a case-by-case basis.

CanV

Champion Member
Apr 30, 2012
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Be careful. If you able to travel but would have to go into quarantine that doesn’t mean you can’t travel. There have been no clarification about people who can travel but don’t want to.
here we go again... it's not that they "don't want to"... it's that they SHOULD NOT. It's actually pretty clear, but apparently not to you.

CanV

Champion Member
Apr 30, 2012
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
This is a leap.

Once you have a COPR and PR visa, it's your responsibility to land in Canada before their expiration. If you choose not to land because of your concerns but you're able to, you have to inform them and get confirmation that they deem your reasons valid, and accept extending your documents.

I think they will be very flexible but you have to be sure they accept on a case-by-case basis.
it is your responsibility to NOT TRAVEL when it's non-essential. Guess what? Landing is NON ESSENTIAL. And it's not a case by case basis, ALL applicants who couldn't travel after mid March will be extended. And it's NOT "your concerns", it's PUBLIC SAFETY

hinavin

Dec 2, 2010
Canada
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
Mississauga, Ontario Canada
it is your responsibility to NOT TRAVEL when it's non-essential. Guess what? Landing is NON ESSENTIAL. And it's not a case by case basis, ALL applicants who couldn't travel after mid March will be extended. And it's NOT "your concerns", it's PUBLIC SAFETY

How?

prusa

Star Member
Jul 22, 2019
I think all we are asking is a statement from IRCC that anyone who cannot travel to Canada has nothing to worry about and we will either extend, ask for more documents as needed - But no COPR will be refused PR to Canada just because they couldn't land.

If they post this message - automatically a lot of panic will go away and only the ones who absolutely have to will travel.

The very same way they have been open about people who need to submit documents - they have clearly said No ongoing application will be denied because of the inability to submit documents.

prusa

Star Member
Jul 22, 2019
Right now - they send out cryptic messages about web form, and exemptions and if we can not travel then tell us why. What is there to say why - I choose not to put my life at risk is that a reason they are expecting.

With all the people putting details of cancelled flights etc, why should anyone be made to choose between PR and their life. I know for a lot of people who might have spent years for this PR and wouldn't want to lose it for any reason what so ever.

Sorry for my rant - but this has been very stressful.

Islander216

Champion Member
Nov 27, 2019
You do realize that the exemptions were provided because it was deemed certain immigration categories were essential travel?

https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/news/2020/03/canada-provides-update-on-exemptions-to-travel-restrictions-to-protect-canadians-and-support-the-economy.html

https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/services/coronavirus-covid19/travel-restrictions-exemptions.html

It's even explicitly stated in the announcement lol.

Last edited:

vellocet

Jun 9, 2019
Right now - they send out cryptic messages about web form, and exemptions and if we can not travel then tell us why. What is there to say why - I choose not to put my life at risk is that a reason they are expecting.

With all the people putting details of cancelled flights etc, why should anyone be made to choose between PR and their life. I know for a lot of people who might have spent years for this PR and wouldn't want to lose it for any reason what so ever.

Sorry for my rant - but this has been very stressful.
yeah, this is exactly how i feel, i've dedicated years of my life to getting this PR, if i lose it it will be more devastating than getting the virus itself

Reactions: aurelero

whyCorona

Champion Member
Mar 17, 2020
This is a leap.

What you have said above holds good in normal scenario when Corona was not born. Now game has been changed. IRCC is giving an option for extension as a COVID19 special measures for applicants including approved approved PR applications.

Reactions: smithplato

whyCorona

Champion Member
Mar 17, 2020
yeah, this is exactly how i feel, i've dedicated years of my life to getting this PR, if i lose it it will be more devastating than getting the virus itself
Chill guys. @smithplato is getting an extension. His CoPR expired on 18th April and 22nd April his application was reopened for extension. Now he is only required to tell IRCC when he will be able to travel. After that they will send him instructions regarding CoPR extension.

No one is getting virus. Just relax you are not alone into this. If getting stressed will give you an extension then please stress on my behalf too.

Last edited:

Islander216

Champion Member
Nov 27, 2019
What you have said above holds good in normal scenario when Corona was not born. Now game has been changed. IRCC is giving an option for extension as a COVID19 special measures for applicants including approved approved PR applications.
I don't doubt, the vast majority will get extensions without issues. But it shouldn't stop you covering your bases and contacting them about your specific situation to figure out if they agree with you getting one, especially if you are not travelling voluntarily.

Just check with them, that's all i'm saying.

Last edited:

vellocet

Jun 9, 2019
Chill guys. @smithplato is getting an extension. His CoPR expired on 20th April and 22nd April his application was reopened for extension. Now he is only required to tell IRCC when he will be able to travel. After that they will send him instructions regarding CoPR extension.

No one is getting virus. Just relax you are not alone into this. If getting stressed will give you an extension then please stress on my behalf too.
no need to get nasty about it. who told you getting stressed will give you an extension? that's quite a big leap from what i said. congrats on scoring high enough on IELTS :)

Molino de Viente

Star Member
Aug 16, 2018
Kazakhstan
NOC Code......
AOR Received.
26/04/2019
Med's Done....
06/06/2019
Passport Req..
31/10/2019
Chill guys. @smithplato is getting an extension. His CoPR expired on 20th April and 22nd April his application was reopened for extension. Now he is only required to tell IRCC when he will be able to travel. After that they will send him instructions regarding CoPR extension.

indeed, it is very encouraging that @smithplato has had his file reopened. I wonder, why nothing happened to @Canaspirant xyz file yet? His COPR expired even earlier.
By the way,
my COPR expired yesterday...trying not to panic. I also recieved generic response yesterday to the web-form I raised on the 11th of April informing that I am 100% not able to travel to Canada due to lockdown in my country.

Canaspirant xyz

Aug 21, 2018
indeed, it is very encouraging that @smithplato has had his file reopened. I wonder, why nothing happened to @Canaspirant xyz file yet? His COPR expired even earlier.
By the way,
my COPR expired yesterday...trying not to panic. I also recieved generic response yesterday to the web-form I raised on the 11th of April informing that I am 100% not able to travel to Canada due to lockdown in my country.
Actually I called for that purpose only.But the agent didn't ask for my details such as application no and UCI no.
I even told her that its been over a month I have filled web form.They shud have opened it by now but how do I come to know.Though when few days back I had called that agent asked my details and before he cud tell anything my call got disconnected.
@smithplato how did u come to know that ur file has been reopened?