+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

COPR and coronavirus

winterisnotcoming

Star Member
Mar 30, 2019
Update from today:

Driving License:

All drive test centres across Ontario are now closed, so any services relating to driving licenses and tests can only be done from the college park service Ontario in Toronto. I went today and overall the process was pretty painless. I was just switching my UK license to a Canadian equivalent.

Arriving, there was a long queue which I soon realised was not actually that long however everyone was being extra cautious and allowing around 4 meters to the next person. It took around 10 minutes to get into the front door as it was queued around the shopping centre where it's located. Once inside I was made to present an ID document to a security officer who enquired why I was visiting. I explained and he directed me to the reception where I was given a ticket. I then waited for around half an hour (everyone was sat several seats apart, again for social distancing). My ticket number was then called and I had to present my UK license, passport and driving abstract from my driving authority (you should get this before you leave your country ideally). I then completed a simple form and did an eye test, paid $90 and was given a paper copy of my license and the new card will be sent in the post. The paper license has my address given so again can be used as proof of address (you are not required to provide proof of address).

The process was relatively simple and the queuing system was efficient even in spite of the circumstances.
Thanks for sharing your updates. I am in similar situation with applying for SIN and license exchange. Your updates have been very helpful. I have applied for SIN online a week ago, no updates yet. Did you hear anything from them? For proof of address, I just included my sibling's statement with a cover letter mentioning the reason, not sure if it's going to cut it.

Also, I haven't had any luck with linking my CIC application with landing to track PR card process (landed March 13). Did you have any luck with that?

I have not tried opening bank account yet, was waiting on SIN. I guess I will go ahead to open one soon without SIN. I am staying at a Temporary place in Toronto and will be moving to BC in a few days. So, probably I am going to do the bank account opening and license exchange after going there.

Silent_boy

Dec 4, 2018
Dear All,
I have received PPR a month ago March 18 but due to lockdown I am not able to stamp Visa as most of the VAC are closed, is there another way to stamp Visa except VAC what should I do

Canaspirant xyz

Aug 21, 2018
Everyone needs to just exercise patience.
It's a really hard time for everyone, we applicants, airlines, IRCC, Canada and the whole world.

Let's not overwhelm the understaffed IRCC agents with CSEs.
Let's just follow the instructions, if you cannot fly due to COVID lockdown raise CSE and wait till lo k down is lifted and let see what IRCC has to say.

If your COPR expires after travel ban is going to be lifted in your country kindly wait, I see some people here saying y COPR expires June July October.. that's like a slap on people whose COPRs have expired, some even have imminent expiry. In all honesty why cant we all just exercise some patience.

While everyone is worried, it would not go well if you can fly and just refuse to fly just for fear of COVID-19. Let's not just hope that IRCC will gove a consensus for that.

Soft landing is not an options no need growing the thread asking all about that.

Let's focus on what is important.
Exactly .What I feel that as ircc is flooded with all sorts of extension requests ,some already expired, some expiring in next month and some even after that,they might be having some system to prioritize the responses on the basis of expiry dates and it should be there.As there is no point in pondering over copr expiring in July or afterwords as situation is not clear yet.But off course they should start processing the extension requests of March and April expired or expiring Copr as soon as their full office resumes.Those who have deadline of July and after need to be patient as no country has decided policies for those months so no use of raising web form right now.
Becoz no one knows they will be able to travel by then or not.If you give vague reasons, might possible the extension is rejected.

Reactions: pumpkin_latte

SWB

Star Member
Jan 18, 2020
People who have been quoting bhavind and saying that ircc won't consider extension need to think rationally.if the whole world has banned stepping out of homes because of the covid fear how can the ircc think of this as an excuse.

Reactions: DixvilleNotch

Canaspirant xyz

Aug 21, 2018
People who have been quoting bhavind and saying that ircc won't consider extension need to think rationally.if the whole world has banned stepping out of homes because of the covid fear how can the ircc think of this as an excuse.
Actually on the one hand ircc is encouraging ppl to land if they are able to ,and on the other hand they are giving provisions to fill web form.So this is confusing ppl.No one wants to lose copr at this stage.As far as Corona risks are concerned , world is not going to get rid of it completely at least for an year.And that risk starts the moment you step out of your home.In every city of the world it has reached.So as we can not restrict ourselves to our houses for long we have to take risk.So why not for landing.
Ircc must come up with the clear policies and criterion to give extension to end this turmoil.

lost48

Apr 12, 2020
Hi there. How long did it take London VO to respond and what was the email address you sent the inquiry to? Thanks
I wrote the email yesterday to IRCC and the London VO. I didn't get any reply from IRCC but I got a reply from the London office today!

Their email is ldnimmigration@international.gc.ca but I would suggest emailing them only if your case was handled by their office. The initial email I sent got an automatic reply with "Thank you for your e-mail. It has been received by IRCC LONDON. Due to the volume of inquiries we can only respond at this time if you have an application in process in our Office."

Dear Sir/Madam,

We have received your enquiry regarding the validity date of your confirmation of permanent residence document (COPR) and visa (if required).

Your application has been updated with notification of your current inability to travel before the expiry of your document.

Please note that your documents will remain valid for travel up until the expiry date shown on the documents, should you be able to travel before that date. Your application will not be closed or refused as a result of not being able to travel within the validity of these documents due to COVID-19 travel restrictions.

Any extension to the validity of your documents will only be possible after a review of your application by an officer, to determine whether any new assessments, including a new immigration medical examination are required. Once you have met all the requirements to have your documents reissued, you will be instructed as to which documents to submit for reprinting of your confirmation of permanent residence document (COPR), and visa (if required). Do not submit your passport until you are instructed to do so.

Please contact our office using a IRCC Web form when you are able to travel.

While we continue to serve our clients, service disruptions and restrictions due to COVID-19 will have an impact on processing times and we are therefore not able to provide a timeframe for the completion of any assessments and at this time. We will endeavor to review your application as soon as possible.

Please consult IRCC’s web page on how COVID-19 is affecting immigration services and Canada’s Coronavirus disease (COVID-19): Outbreak site for the most up to date information.

We trust that this information will be of assistance and thank you for your patience and understanding during these uncertain times.

Sincerely,
AJ

M160RA

Star Member
Apr 5, 2020
Now i got you, you should have told me you were single lol, i thought the minimum requirement for your application was 16,000.

Yeah, you should be fine of course, you meet the minimum requirement.
You had me scared. I thought I made a mistake by buying tickets from the extra money I showed and that border agent would cross check this.
Now i got you, you should have told me you were single lol, i thought the minimum requirement for your application was 16,000.

Yeah, you should be fine of course, you meet the minimum requirement.
I probably wasn’t able to express myself clearly haha.

I plan to take half in cash, keep the rest in my bank account and carry a bank statement with me. Would this be ok or do I need a letter from the bank as well? Do they verify these documents with the bank at the border?

All this is assuming the covid situation improves and we get a clear reply from IRCC regarding extensions.

Adella_Lindsy

Jul 16, 2019
My COPR expiry date is the third week of August and I have no travel restrictions in my country. But I am not planning to travel in the current situation due to my family and situation. Moreover, if I travel I have no jobs to earn money for my expenses in Canada though I can manage for a month. It is obvious to find a job in the prevailing situation. And also I didn't come across any insurance plans which is applicable for us. Can anyone advice me on the following,
-valid reason to extend the copr
-any insurance plans applicable for new immigrants

SCOTCAD

Star Member
May 20, 2018
Thanks for sharing your updates. I am in similar situation with applying for SIN and license exchange. Your updates have been very helpful. I have applied for SIN online a week ago, no updates yet. Did you hear anything from them? For proof of address, I just included my sibling's statement with a cover letter mentioning the reason, not sure if it's going to cut it.

Also, I haven't had any luck with linking my CIC application with landing to track PR card process (landed March 13). Did you have any luck with that?

I have not tried opening bank account yet, was waiting on SIN. I guess I will go ahead to open one soon without SIN. I am staying at a Temporary place in Toronto and will be moving to BC in a few days. So, probably I am going to do the bank account opening and license exchange after going there.
I've still not heard anything back for my SIN number application unfortunately.

I managed to link my PR card on the portal however this has not provided me with any updates or new information, it's coming on three weeks since I landed however obviously the PR card processing times are probably out the window at the moment.

HSBC were fine to open the account without a SIN number and I am just to email the manager once I have the SIN number. Obviously the SIN is an issue for earning money at the moment and I'm not sure how quick this online process will be either way.

SWB

Star Member
Jan 18, 2020
Ircc encouraged people only on March 13, the whole world has changed drastically since then.also travelling has maximum risk.

hypervariate123

Aug 13, 2019
Dear All,
I have received PPR a month ago March 18 but due to lockdown I am not able to stamp Visa as most of the VAC are closed, is there another way to stamp Visa except VAC what should I do
You have to wait till VACs open up and start processing. Your deadline will be automatically extended.