+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

COPR and coronavirus

lost48

Apr 12, 2020
Same here: May 21st. I am now "following" you :)
@Kay02

I was able to get in contact with my consultant and he said that if you aren't planning on settling down right away or stay in Canada for at least 3 months with a proper plan for the 14-day mandatory isolation, it's best to send the webform and get an extension.

Since I'm not able to make a permanent move to Canada yet, I sent the request for a visa extension to IRCC webform and the London office because that's where my case was processed. I didn't receive a real reply from either but I did get this automated one from the London office.

Thank you for your e-mail. It has been received by IRCC LONDON. Due to the volume of inquiries we can only respond at this time if you have an application in process in our Office.

Please note that sending repeated case status enquiries takes resources away from file processing, resulting in longer processing times.

At this time we are not able to respond to questions regarding:

· General information about immigration programs or processes;
· How to make an application online or at the Visa Application Centre (VAC) for temporary residence; Find a VAC at the following link:
https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/corporate/contact-ircc/offices/find-visa-application-centre.html
· Technical assistance with online applications;
· Expedited processing of non-urgent cases;
· Confirmation of receipt of documents or passports

As some Visa Application Center have closed due to the current situation, We recommend all applicants to submit applications online.

Our office is unable to give advice on travel disruptions due to COVID-19

However, you may find the following web pages to be of assistance:
Coronavirus Disease (COVID-19)
Special measures to help temporary and permanent residents and applicants affected by the novel coronavirus (COVID‑19)

We advise that you check the official government website of any country that you may travel to for up to date information, as well as information provided by your local government and the airline and/or other transport providers that you may wish to use.
For more information, we recommend following developments from:
-The Government of Canada’s travel advice for the UK and specifically regarding Coronavirus
-The UK’s Department of Health and Social Care and Public Health England
- The International Air Transport Association page on government measures relating to the Coronavirus
-Local media sources

Please be advised that the definition of “immediate family member,” pursuant to the “Interim Order to Prevent Certain Persons from Boarding Flights to Canada due to COVID-19, No. 2” has been expanded. Immediate Family members are spouses, Common Law Partners and dependent children (including dependent children of spouse/CLP/dependent child), the parent or step-parent ( including parent of spouse or CLP), and the guardian or tutor of the person.

We are also not able to respond to file status inquiries if we are within processing standards published on our website. You can find average processing times: https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/services/application/check-processing-times.html.
For temporary residence applications, you can also track your application at the VAC link:
https://www.vfsglobal.com/en/individuals/index.html

IMPORTANT:
If you have an application in process: we can only respond to the applicants, sponsors and authorized representatives. You must provide us with the following information:
Your application number;
Surname and Given name(s);
Date of birth (YYYY-MM-DD);
UCI (unique identification number provided by IRCC) and/or Passport number;

For Temporary Resident applications:

If you have submitted your passport but you cannot wait for processing to be completed or need your passport for any other purpose, please send an email clearly marked passport withdrawal.

Please make it clear whether you would like to withdraw your application entirely, or whether you would like to withdraw only the passport while your application continues to be processed.

If you made your application online and have been requested to submit your passport, find the closest point of service to submit your passport. Do not worry if you are unable to comply with this request within stated timeframes. Given the exceptional circumstances created by the COVID-19 situation, we will not refuse applications solely based on inability to comply with a request by a certain date. More time (extensions) will be provided to applicants who need it.

To change your address, check your application status, or pay fees please visit My Immigration or Citizenship Application

The Help Centre has responses to frequently asked questions.

Our website also has information about immigration representatives and how to Protect yourself from fraud.

For Permanent Resident applications:

If your permanent residence application has been approved, but you can't travel to Canada before your documents expire.
Please consult the following webpage:
Special measures to help temporary and permanent residents and applicants affected by the novel coronavirus (COVID‑19)

Urgent Applications
As some Visa Application Center have closed due to the current situation, We recommend all applicants to submit applications
online.

Unable to Complete the next steps for application currently in process
Do not worry if you are unable to comply with requests for documents or actions from us within stated timeframes. Given the exceptional circumstances created by the COVID-19 situation, we will not refuse applications solely based on inability to comply with a request by a certain date. More time (extensions) will be provided to applicants who need it.

Examples of the next steps include
· submitting passport or supporting documents, such as a police certificate
· completing an immigration medical examination
· providing your biometrics

Important Note: Those applicants whose instruction letters expire on March 16 or later will automatically receive extensions of 90 days from the date of expiry.

As this extension is automatic, please do not write to the visa office to request an extension or to request confirmation. We have insufficient resources available at the present time to respond to this type of inquiry.

Please do not reply to this email, we appreciate your patience and will contact you if additional information is required.

Notice: www.cic.gc.ca/english/notices.asp

Reactions: aurelero

saad_im

Jan 27, 2019
Canada
@Ralino @FJK1982
Hi Guys,
So we are all in the same boat, albeit with different timelines for COPR expiry. Mine expires 28 July. For now I have not sent any webforms as there is still time and I'm hopeful that situation may change for the better. Even though CoPR are exempt, there are no flights in or out of UAE at the moment. Hoping for restrictions to be lifted by end of April. Emirates Airlines has scheduled some flights starting from 1st of May but its still unclear if they will actually fly. It all depends on when travel restrictions are lifted. Let's see how it goes.

Ramj

Sep 1, 2018
Apologies if I could not convey my doubts clearly.
I understand that the threshold is calculated on number of applicants. I am single and in my case, since it’s only me, the threshold is $12,960. I showed more than this during my application ($16,000).

Right now I have $13,500, which is more than the minimum for one person ($12,960).

You mentioned earlier that I should probably get a relative and bring up my balance to $16,000 (same as declared during EE application).

I am still unclear whether

1. Having the minimum amount, as stated by IRCC, for one person during landing is ok
2. Do I have to present proof of exactly how much I showed during EE application?

If the ruling is as mentioned in (2), then I would have to make up the balance, as I’m $2,500 short of that amount.
Your funds are OK. Dont let anyone offset you.

ryeCatcher

Apr 21, 2019
Once we reached Canadian side we were said that they don't process COPR even though I called to CBSA hour before and they assured me there won't be any problem with landing in Canada. After answering many questions I was returned to US border to finish car export paperwork (I missed special gate for the car export so had to reenter US again to finish the process). Hour later we were at the canadian border again, this time we were greeted by a different custom officer who was very nice and everything went smooth until we were asked to come to the office in order to finish landing. Officers were very rude, mean and seemed frustrated of the fact we decided to land during pandemic. Bunch of questions were asked like "why today? Don't you see nobody is here?!!", about status in the US (which shouldn't matter!!), details about our application, proof of funds, goods brought to Canada and the most important !!!!proof of the address where we going to self isolatte for another 14 days!!!! This was the most important information asked, without which they would't have let us land!! If you are going to land anytime soon book a place in advance for at least 14 days. Finally we were asked to sign paperwork and ready to go to our destination.

Staying in Canada under self isolation is quite difficult right now since most of the grocery stores don't deliver groceries same day. The demand is so high that it takes them even 5-7 days to deliver groceries. Just make sure you have someone who can drop groceries especially when you are moving with kids.
@akrapovic could you share some more light on how they changed their mind from "we don't process COPR" to allow you to land?
Also when I spoke with CBSA last time they said I can skip importing the car, did they not allow you to do that?

Ramj

Sep 1, 2018
Everyone needs to just exercise patience.
It's a really hard time for everyone, we applicants, airlines, IRCC, Canada and the whole world.

Let's not overwhelm the understaffed IRCC agents with CSEs.
Let's just follow the instructions, if you cannot fly due to COVID lockdown raise CSE and wait till lo k down is lifted and let see what IRCC has to say.

If your COPR expires after travel ban is going to be lifted in your country kindly wait, I see some people here saying y COPR expires June July October.. that's like a slap on people whose COPRs have expired, some even have imminent expiry. In all honesty why cant we all just exercise some patience.

While everyone is worried, it would not go well if you can fly and just refuse to fly just for fear of COVID-19. Let's not just hope that IRCC will gove a consensus for that.

Soft landing is not an options no need growing the thread asking all about that.

Let's focus on what is important.

Ramj

Sep 1, 2018
In view of all this what's the worst case Scenario.

While we all await IRCC's official response and hope for an extension ...

What's the worse scenario,

A remedical seems most likely worst case scenario. Many people that got their Application exceeding 1 year of medicals are usually asked for another medical not a new PCC.

And to send passport again for restamping.

I hope we dont get to that.

But in view of all these we need to prepare our mind for the worst.

Let's all hope and pray for the best irrespective.

It's a hard time globally and I pray like you all that these season passes fast in Jesus name. Amen

youngman

Mar 4, 2019
@Kay02

I was able to get in contact with my consultant and he said that if you aren't planning on settling down right away or stay in Canada for at least 3 months with a proper plan for the 14-day mandatory isolation, it's best to send the webform and get an extension.

Since I'm not able to make a permanent move to Canada yet, I sent the request for a visa extension to IRCC webform and the London office because that's where my case was processed. I didn't receive a real reply from either but I did get this automated one from the London office.
Hi there. How long did it take London VO to respond and what was the email address you sent the inquiry to? Thanks

akrapovic

Apr 13, 2020
@akrapovic could you share some more light on how they changed their mind from "we don't process COPR" to allow you to land?
Also when I spoke with CBSA last time they said I can skip importing the car, did they not allow you to do that?
I really don’t know what this officer meant by saying “they don’t process COPR at this time“. I just had to go back to US and finish my car export documentation. After that there was already different customs officer and everything went smooth until we had to go inside and finish landing paperwork. I think everything depends on the person who you deal with.

I didn’t ask anything about skipping importing my car since didn’t have intention of coming back to US again. Just wanted to do everything at one time.

Reactions: ryeCatcher

Jane2019

Star Member
Jun 2, 2019
Not trustworthy, places aren't as described and awful customer service. You end up with an awful place and then you can't even get your money back.

niko80

Apr 21, 2014
@Kay02

Thanks for sharing your consultant's point of view. Just wonder if you prefer not to travel or you can not travel?

SCOTCAD

Star Member
May 20, 2018
Update from today:

Driving License:

All drive test centres across Ontario are now closed, so any services relating to driving licenses and tests can only be done from the college park service Ontario in Toronto. I went today and overall the process was pretty painless. I was just switching my UK license to a Canadian equivalent.

Arriving, there was a long queue which I soon realised was not actually that long however everyone was being extra cautious and allowing around 4 meters to the next person. It took around 10 minutes to get into the front door as it was queued around the shopping centre where it's located. Once inside I was made to present an ID document to a security officer who enquired why I was visiting. I explained and he directed me to the reception where I was given a ticket. I then waited for around half an hour (everyone was sat several seats apart, again for social distancing). My ticket number was then called and I had to present my UK license, passport and driving abstract from my driving authority (you should get this before you leave your country ideally). I then completed a simple form and did an eye test, paid $90 and was given a paper copy of my license and the new card will be sent in the post. The paper license has my address given so again can be used as proof of address (you are not required to provide proof of address).

The process was relatively simple and the queuing system was efficient even in spite of the circumstances.

500w

Mar 22, 2019
While everyone is worried, it would not go well if you can fly and just refuse to fly just for fear of COVID-19. Let's not just hope that IRCC will gove a consensus for that.
I beg to differ. I live in NYC, the city with the most covid19 case in the world. If my family travel to Canada simply to meet the deadline of CoPR, it will put all of us at great peril. More importantly, please remember this is a contagion which means people traveling from the hotspots of covid19 will expose Canadians living in Canada to grave danger too.

Even for the benefits of Canada's own people, applicants like us should be given an extension.