+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

COPR and coronavirus

auroragk

Apr 11, 2020
Make My trip is selling tickets for Mumbai-Delhi-Toronto and Mumbai -Doha -Montreal - Toronto for April 15,16,19,20,21,22 with high price. can I book and travel ? Visa requirement shows that COPR holder can not travel but I think its shows old travel ban and if you try to book for July it shows the same Visa requirement. Please guide . My COPR Expires on 23rd April 2020.
Lockdown is likely to be extended in India. I don't think flights will resume. So you should wait for the official announcement. No use blocking your money if the flight ban continues.

Reactions: smithplato

Pnamman

Apr 4, 2020
ApplicantCoPR ExpiryNumber of web forms raised for extensionCountry Travelling from
wick_sranMay 15, 2020NoneIndia
CanaspirantMarch 25, 20203 (2-Delhi,1 Ircc)India
hinavinMay 19, 20201 (1 IRCC). Shall also raise 1 more shortly for DelhiIndia
ZiyadApril 6, 20202 (Abudhabi) 2 (IRCC)U.A.E.
LachelleApril 13, 20201Inland (Family outside Canada)
deep_singh1989May 9, 20202 (1- NDVO, 1- IRCC)India
Molino de VienteApril 21, 20202 (going to raise one more today. Reason: lockdown in my country extended till 30th of Aprl)Kazakhstan
Sweta_mahiMay 12, 20201 (IRCC)India
RaghuveerApril 25, 20202 (IRCC)India
AbdulgafarApril 04, 20203 (2-Abu Dhabi, 1-IRCC)U.A.E.
Ish23April 17,20203 (2- IRCC, 1 Delhi)India
Pnamman- April 28, 2020- (2 IRCC- Generic replies) India

Bs65

VIP Member
Mar 22, 2016
Thanks. I think its special Flights so it will fly.
Define 'special flights'.

Any flights that depart any country during a lockdown will likely be strictly controlled repatriation flights for citizens/residents of the country sponsoring the flights in agreement with the lockdown country. As an example the few special flights UK/India/UK currently taking place, but they are not commercial flights.

As said on here a few times would be very cautious booking anything given almost without exception airlines have parked their fleets and furloughed pilots/crew so not just a matter of just magically starting up the day following a lockdown being eased. Always check directly with an airline not the third party agent given the latter, who knows, could have a different agenda for bookings simply to stay solvent.

Airlines themselves are at the moment as much in the dark about when any sense of normal might return so they may be putting out a date as May 1 for example as a plan assumption. If that date comes and no easing then they push out to another future date but they need to start somewhere.

Last edited:
Reactions: smithplato

SithLord

VIP Member
Aug 18, 2017
Make My trip is selling tickets for Mumbai-Delhi-Toronto and Mumbai -Doha -Montreal - Toronto for April 15,16,19,20,21,22 with high price. can I book and travel ? Visa requirement shows that COPR holder can not travel but I think its shows old travel ban and if you try to book for July it shows the same Visa requirement. Please guide . My COPR Expires on 23rd April 2020.
The travel ban should stay as lockdown has already been extended in many states in India till April 30. You have a strong case for COPR extension.

Airline industry believes normal flights should resume from June as the situation in most countries should be under control by then.

DaChui

Mar 21, 2020
Guys, say if i were to fly to the US and come back, would i be able to land? As the land borders are closed for flagpoling. Has anyone done this?

Lmac4

Star Member
Jan 23, 2018
Hi all.

BACKSTORY:
So I am currently a Canadian living IN America with my American husband who I sponsored. I am on a work visa here until July.

WEBFORMS RAISED:
We had raised multiple webforms (3), and e-mailed CIC Ottawa (2) informing them of all the mixed reports we were getting back from CBSA borders saying not to come, stating that we would NOT be able to complete our paperwork at this time. We did not hear back from anyone, other than generic messages.

TRAVELING TO LAND BORDER ON 4/11/20:
We took it upon ourselves to travel to the border (despite our state being in the tri-state area with high covid numbers and lots of restrictions), and disregarding the CBSA stating we wouldn't be able to do this. We did this because no one was able to give us a clear answer, CBSA, and the IRCC on 2 completely different pages.

LAND BORDER:
Pulled up, provided our passports and COPR, I stated we were there to activate his PR status. The officer said "No you're not". I responded with "Immigration has stated that we are exempt from travel bans, and this is considered essential". She said "You're not completing that today". I then stated "I talked to Officer ______ (person I talked to over the phone at border prior to leaving) who stated this was doable and we would be able to complete the paperwork and quarantine for 14 days". She then made a call, took our papers and asked how long we were staying. I reported we were abiding by the 14 day quarantine that's in place. She asked "is that the only reason you're quarantining". I stated "Yes". She then stated "why don't you just turn around if the only reason you're entering Canada right now is to quarantine, just turn around and go back to the US".

[NOW... THIS IS WHAT I HAD BEEN TRYING TO SAY TO MULTIPLE OFFICERS OVER MULTIPLE CALLS- that it made no sense for me to go into Canada putting myself and others at risk IF IT WASN'T NECESSARY... AND ALL OF THEM SAID THIS WASN'T POSSIBLE]

So I jumped on the opportunity as that's what I wanted to do all along. She stated "there was no point coming to Canada right now if I didn't have to".

PROCESS:

She told us to remain in the car, and not to go into the building, and an officer would meet us at the car. We had prepared all our paperwork (Goods Accompany, Goods to follow- we had birth certificates, marriage certificates, financial proof, you name it - we had it..just incase). An officer came out with the COPR, and my husband's passport, asked him "if he had committed any crimes?, if he had been arrested? what his finances looked like? and if we had an address in Canada (and asked for the address)" And that was all that was asked. The officer then went back inside. He came out with the COPR again, got a signature, stated he wouldn't need to see any documents until he was OFFICIALLY LANDING, and that's when they would look at the goods to follow/ goods accompany. Once the signatures were done, he said we were free to go and turn around.

TURNING AROUND:
This is the process I thought would be the smoothest? I don't know why I assumed that considering these times. So on the Canadian side, you can go right up to the border lanes. Going into America is a little different... they had 2 officers stopped with vehicles blocking the entry/lanes to the border lanes. I pulled over to talk to them and stated "we were just here activating his COPR status and they informed us to turn around". The officer LOUDLY stated "NO. NO ONE IS GETTING INTO AMERICA TODAY". Didn't even look at our passports (as my husband is an American citizen), or our paperwork. He then told us to pull around and head back (INTO Canada). My husband stated we were just there, and we were told to loop around. My husband informed the officers he was an American, and was just there to activate his PR status. It was then he looked at the documents, and called someone. He then told us to proceed forward to the border lane. We met with the officer at the booth who asked us why we were there, what we were bringing in, why we had so much packed if we had just turned around ( as we had planned to quarantine for 14 days), asked for car registration, looked through the entire backseat and trunk, asked if we had cough symptoms, had travelled out of north America...and let us go.

LONG STORY SHORT:
1) BE PREPARED FOR THEM TO SAY NO.
2) Be prepared to have documentation from IRCC stating this IS allowed
3) Make a call, get a name and or badge ID, and use it as reference
4) Know that what IRCC is doing is somehow not being communicated to ALL CBSA officers, hopefully you can find one who knows what the heck is going on...
5) Be safe, and healthy!:)

ryeCatcher

Apr 21, 2019
Hi all.

BACKSTORY:
So I am currently a Canadian living IN America with my American husband who I sponsored. I am on a work visa here until July.

WEBFORMS RAISED:
We had raised multiple webforms (3), and e-mailed CIC Ottawa (2) informing them of all the mixed reports we were getting back from CBSA borders saying not to come, stating that we would NOT be able to complete our paperwork at this time. We did not hear back from anyone, other than generic messages.

We took it upon ourselves to travel to the border (despite our state being in the tri-state area with high covid numbers and lots of restrictions), and disregarding the CBSA stating we wouldn't be able to do this. We did this because no one was able to give us a clear answer, CBSA, and the IRCC on 2 completely different pages.

LAND BORDER:
Pulled up, provided our passports and COPR, I stated we were there to activate his PR status. The officer said "No you're not". I responded with "Immigration has stated that we are exempt from travel bans, and this is considered essential". She said "You're not completing that today". I then stated "I talked to Officer ______ (person I talked to over the phone at border prior to leaving) who stated this was doable and we would be able to complete the paperwork and quarantine for 14 days". She then made a call, took our papers and asked how long we were staying. I reported we were abiding by the 14 day quarantine that's in place. She asked "is that the only reason you're quarantining". I stated "Yes". She then stated "why don't you just turn around if the only reason you're entering Canada right now is to quarantine, just turn around and go back to the US".

[NOW... THIS IS WHAT I HAD BEEN TRYING TO SAY TO MULTIPLE OFFICERS OVER MULTIPLE CALLS- that it made no sense for me to go into Canada putting myself and others at risk IF IT WASN'T NECESSARY... AND ALL OF THEM SAID THIS WASN'T POSSIBLE]

So I jumped on the opportunity as that's what I wanted to do all along. She stated "there was no point coming to Canada right now if I didn't have to".

PROCESS:
She told us to remain in the car, and not to go into the building, and an officer would meet us at the car. We had prepared all our paperwork (Goods Accompany, Goods to follow- we had birth certificates, marriage certificates, financial proof, you name it - we had it..just incase). An officer came out with the COPR, and my husband's passport, asked him "if he had committed any crimes?, if he had been arrested? what his finances looked like? and if we had an address in Canada (and asked for the address)" And that was all that was asked. The officer then went back inside. He came out with the COPR again, got a signature, stated he wouldn't need to see any documents until he was OFFICIALLY LANDING, and that's when they would look at the goods to follow/ goods accompany. Once the signatures were done, he said we were free to go and turn around.

TURNING AROUND:
This is the process I thought would be the smoothest? I don't know why I assumed that considering these times. So on the Canadian side, you can go right up to the border lanes. Going into America is a little different... they had 2 officers stopped with vehicles blocking the entry/lanes to the border lanes. I pulled over to talk to them and stated "we were just here activating his COPR status and they informed us to turn around". The officer LOUDLY stated "NO. NO ONE IS GETTING INTO AMERICA TODAY". Didn't even look at our passports (as my husband is an American citizen), or our paperwork. He then told us to pull around and head back (INTO Canada). My husband stated we were just there, and we were told to loop around. My husband informed the officers he was an American, and was just there to activate his PR status. It was then he looked at the documents, and called someone. He then told us to proceed forward to the border lane. We met with the officer at the booth who asked us why we were there, what we were bringing in, why we had so much packed if we had just turned around ( as we had planned to quarantine for 14 days), asked for car registration, looked through the entire backseat and trunk, asked if we had cough symptoms, had travelled out of north America...and let us go.

LONG STORY SHORT:
4) Know that what IRCC is doing is somehow not being communicated to ALL CBSA officers, hopefully you can find one who knows what the heck is going on...

Congratulations! Glad you were able to successfully turn around that is ideal!

Thank you so much for sharing in great detail, it is very helpful.
Though it has just left me more confused :( , I am not a US citizen so I feel if we had been in your place, we wouldn't have been let back into the US?
I've called the Detroit port of entry on the US side (CBP) and they told me that I can return on a H1 work visa, but it seems clear that there is some miscommunication between IRCC -> CBSA and USCIS/DHS -> CBP on both sides :(

Reactions: prusa

Islander216

Champion Member
Nov 27, 2019
Hi all.

BACKSTORY:

WEBFORMS RAISED:

LAND BORDER:

PROCESS:

TURNING AROUND:

LONG STORY SHORT:
So just to see if i understand this properly, did your husband manage to land successfully?

Last edited:
Reactions: ryeCatcher

niko80

Apr 21, 2014
In all US states are under a major disaster declaration from yesterday. Does it mean it is not OK to travel to Canada?

Lmac4

Star Member
Jan 23, 2018
So just to see if i understand this properly, did your husband manage to land successfully?
Yes, once the confusion at the actual border happened, we were told to pull up to the building and remain in the car. It was then the officer came out, asked the 4 or 5 questions, got my husband to sign the paper and we were sent along our marry way.

Reactions: Anu Ashokkumar