+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

COPR and coronavirus

ryeCatcher

Apr 21, 2019
It's very clearly mentioned by IRCC that to put in an extension request you must show that you were "unable to travel". Nowhere does it say that "you choose not to travel because of risks".

So if there is no travel ban by Canada and India and your CoPR is valid for a good amount of time from the day restrictions were lifted then you must travel. It's highly unlikely you will get an extension in this case. ( Check first page of this thread where similar extension request for someone was rejected ).
I think while it is "possible" and we should all proceed with caution, I would be surprised if they don't agree to extend COPRs for even those who could travel but chose not to for safety reasons.

As an example, I have a family friend who has delayed her COPR for the last 18 months, citing first pregnancy and then an unwillingness to travel with an infant (before all this Covid madness) and IRCC has continued to grant her requests :| .. so I think its likely they'll do the same for a worldwide pandemic.

ryeCatcher

Apr 21, 2019
Also to those in the US and thinking about traveling, on speaking with CBSA today, I was told that I can do landing at either airport or land as long as I honor the isolation requirements.

Molino de Viente

Star Member
Aug 16, 2018
Kazakhstan
NOC Code......
AOR Received.
26/04/2019
Med's Done....
06/06/2019
Passport Req..
31/10/2019
but you have to isolate for 14 days.
I don't understand, how can I infect anyone in Canada, if I spend only 24 hours in this country not even leaving the territory of Airport? I will be put under quarantine in my country for 14 days upon arrival and it is fair, because I intend to stay there for another 3 months and to exclude the potential of spreading the virus I will be in isolation.

SWB

Star Member
Jan 18, 2020
Air India and Air Canada has cancelled all their flights for April....from India to Toronto...How do we go now? Flights will operate case to case basis in April .my COPR expires on April 26.will it be extended in this case?

Canaspirant xyz

Aug 21, 2018
Air India and Air Canada has cancelled all their flights for April....from India to Toronto...How do we go now? Flights will operate case to case basis in April .my COPR expires on April 26.will it be extended in this case?
Flights will operate case to case basis means?
Obviously if you are not getting flight or your flight is cancelled you must get extension.You are not going to swim through the seas and reach.These all are valid inability to travel reasons.

Reactions: hinavin and SWB

SWB

Star Member
Jan 18, 2020
Flights will operate case to case basis means?
Obviously if you are not getting flight or your flight is cancelled you must get extension.You are not going to swim through the seas and reach.These all are valid inability to travel reasons.
I don't know..Minister of Civil Aviation has said so

Molino de Viente

Star Member
Aug 16, 2018
Kazakhstan
NOC Code......
AOR Received.
26/04/2019
Med's Done....
06/06/2019
Passport Req..
31/10/2019
I don't understand, how can I infect anyone in Canada, if I spend only 24 hours in this country not even leaving the territory of Airport? I will be put under quarantine in my country for 14 days upon arrival and it is fair, because I intend to stay there for another 3 months and to exclude the potential of spreading the virus I will be in isolation.
I have just found a clear answer to my question on a neighbouring thread - I will definetely need to self-isolate and not mess with the CBSA officers trying to negotiate my stay.
Posted by user Beltex

"OK, STRAIGHT FROM THE HORSE'S MOUTH - Just spoke on the phone to a CBSA agent and his view was that arriving with a COPR was fine but they would not look upon a soft landing as essential travel. Arriving to land and stay would be deemed OK. The 14 day quarantine is non negotiable and staying in the airport and getting the next plane home is a no no. He just said refer to IRCC about expiring COPR's . I suppose if you were desperate you could arrive on a one way ticket be holed up for 2 weeks and then try and get a return flight- if available. It will be interesting to see how IRCC handle COPR extensions, as it's been suggested that if you can travel and land, which is currently the case then why should IRCC grant extensions anyway. "

Pnamman

Apr 4, 2020
Hi Everyone,

I am from India with no dependents for Express Entry and have my COPR expiring on 28th April 2020. I contacted IRCC last week for an extension as my country is in lock down and there are hardly any flights to Canada (only Air India is flying with very long layovers) but received a generic response that basically asked me to sit tight as the final decision regarding allowability of COPR holders to enter Canada was still not made. So, I wanted to have advice on the following:
1. Has anyone received the extension in COPR as it is virtually impossible to fly to Canada now? I already have two cancelled tickets and don't think its wise to book tickets now as we do not the future of lock down whether it will be extended.
2. Should I request for the extension again citing the lockdown and undue risk of infection in flying now as the reasons because as it is I will be under quarantine for 2 weeks so why not delay the arrival and go when situation improves?

Kindly advise.

Thanks

Reactions: nehakhedekar

Bs65

VIP Member
Mar 22, 2016
Hi Everyone,

I am from India with no dependents for Express Entry and have my COPR expiring on 28th April 2020. I contacted IRCC last week for an extension as my country is in lock down and there are hardly any flights to Canada (only Air India is flying with very long layovers) but received a generic response that basically asked me to sit tight as the final decision regarding allowability of COPR holders to enter Canada was still not made. So, I wanted to have advice on the following:
1. Has anyone received the extension in COPR as it is virtually impossible to fly to Canada now? I already have two cancelled tickets and don't think its wise to book tickets now as we do not the future of lock down whether it will be extended.
2. Should I request for the extension again citing the lockdown and undue risk of infection in flying now as the reasons because as it is I will be under quarantine for 2 weeks so why not delay the arrival and go when situation improves?

Kindly advise.

Thanks
These questions have been answered so many times already on this forum

1)Nobody as far as anyone is aware has received an official extension and is unlikely to until the situation normalises and even then could speculate that will not be at an individual COPR level but a generic one given the volumes involved.
2)The only process currently is to raise a web form to indicate you are unable to travel at this time.

https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/services/coronavirus-covid19/immigration-applicants.html

https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/corporate/publications-manuals/operational-bulletins-manuals/service-delivery/coronavirus/permanent-residence.html

Reactions: ryeCatcher

ryeCatcher

Apr 21, 2019
I hope this will be helpful for CoPRs in the US who wants to enter via land border. My husband and I just landed yesterday from peace bridge. I called and confirmed with the Canadian side a couple of times before we travel. The land border is open for CoPRs 24/7 currently. However, please call and confirm before you travel and things change everyday.

They tended to not accept any "soft landing" cases and you have to quarantine for 14 days. If you are staying with your any relatives, anyone in the house hold applies to that 14 days quarantine rules. It means that no one can go out for anything, even getting groceries. You have to have others deliver groceries to you. Any violation will end up having 10 year in jail and up to 10 million penalty. They are taking this very seriously.

For anyone who is trying to do soft landing and travel back to the US. Obviously, you cannot travel back during those 14 days quarantine time. When you land, they will double triple check on how long you will be staying in Canada. They will only process CoPRs who has a place to stay in Canada and tended to move here for good.

If you are driving your own car and wanted to export and import the car. Please please please make sure that you process all the export document from the US side. It is a long process. We didn't do that and plan to import our car next time as goods to follow. The officer questioned us on why the export process was not done and the car we are driving should be on our goods to come list since we are driving it.

If you have anything to ship over or to drive over at a later time, make sure you make a list for the goods to follow.
Hi @umizhou1990 , could you confirm what the officer said the right thing to do with the car is?
If I list the car in "goods to follow", can I drive it across the border without importing it? I am not ready to import our car yet (it has a loan on it here in the US that we will finish later this year), but I want to drive my car across the border for our landing, is that possible?

Pnamman

Apr 4, 2020
These questions have been answered so many times already on this forum

1)Nobody as far as anyone is aware has received an official extension and is unlikely to until the situation normalises and even then could speculate that will not be at an individual COPR level but a generic one given the volumes involved.
2)The only process currently is to raise a web form to indicate you are unable to travel at this time.

https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/services/coronavirus-covid19/immigration-applicants.html

https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/corporate/publications-manuals/operational-bulletins-manuals/service-delivery/coronavirus/permanent-residence.html
Alright, thanks for the information.

nehakhedekar

Feb 26, 2020
I called CBSA yesterday, the guy said if you are coming for the first time here as a new immigrant, you won't have a place for quarantine and we wouldn't admit you in unless you prove otherwise. He said, we are recommending folks to delay arrival and ask IRCC for COPR extension.

With the increase in Cases within Canada itself, I think the situation has changed!
Yeah, Thats what I thought. Because we are coming for the first time it will be challenging, its not as if we are returning and we already have a home and job, in such cases we obviously would have to return to Canada. Also just my assumption, people in Canada might also be reluctant to provide us a home on rent even after 14 days of quarantine as we are foreign travellers. would be much difficult to find a home. Even if we have settlement funds, we are not supposed to exhaust them on isolation and later on our survival without a job. Thank you thank you so much for the clarification!

niko80

Apr 21, 2014
Does anybody know how long it takes to get PR card? Number of COPR holder who travel to Canada is very low, that can reduce processing time but on the other hand they may not work in full capacity.

going2CA

Sep 16, 2019
Visa Office......
Ottawa
NOC Code......
AOR Received.
28-09-2019
Med's Done....
17-10-2019
Passport Req..
09-03-2020
VISA ISSUED...