+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

COPR and coronavirus

seokjinnie

Mar 17, 2020
Hello! I was scheduled to leave for Canada on March 30, but both my country (Philippines) and Canada decided to close its borders for safety reasons. I currently have my COPR and immigrant visa -- There is a window for Manila to travel (outbound) within 72 hours. My question is if I will be allowed entry in Canada?

Also, was there any announcement on a timeframe for Canada's travel ban? Appreciate any help on this! Thank you!

icanh

Oct 1, 2019
Hello! I was scheduled to leave for Canada on March 30, but both my country (Philippines) and Canada decided to close its borders for safety reasons. I currently have my COPR and immigrant visa -- There is a window for Manila to travel (outbound) within 72 hours. My question is if I will be allowed entry in Canada?

Also, was there any announcement on a timeframe for Canada's travel ban? Appreciate any help on this! Thank you!
Based on the information we have now, you won't be allowed entry. The ban is indefinite for now, but don't think it will last past 2-3 months.

Depending on when your COPR expires, you can either wait it out until you are able to travel again, or you can send a web-form informing the IRCC about your situation. More info here: https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/corporate/publications-manuals/operational-bulletins-manuals/service-delivery/coronavirus/permanent-residence.html#Approved_permanent_residence

Reactions: Adam261

Bs65

VIP Member
Mar 22, 2016

As above follow the webform procedure so that you are registered in the system that you have travel restrictions as wise to not make assumptions

The measure will come into force on Wednesday, March 18, at 12:00 p.m. (noon) EDT so anyone arriving after this will be affected

https://www.canada.ca/en/transport-canada/news/2020/03/new-measures-for-covid-19-response.html

abhishekmishra19

Jul 15, 2019
India
My COPR will expire on 01.04.2020 and i was scheduled to fly from Mum to YVR on 19.03.2020. As per my understanding -
  1. CoPR is not allowed entry post 16th announcement as it is not considered PR.
  2. Called IRCC and they confirmed that CoPR is not PR but they were not clear about the new announcement on boarder closure.
  3. web form raised in view of current situation citing the reason. Does it require any documentary proofs in form of cancellation of tickets?

Any other updated related to CoPR whose validity expiring by next 2-3 weeks, pl guide your PoA.

Reactions: tusa47

Canaspirant xyz

Aug 21, 2018
COPR expires on 4th April. I am from USA. Filed my extensions request on 9th March. I mentioned that our state has declared emergency, banned large gatherings and told them about our toddler son who will be traveling. But they rejected. The person said 'Upon review of your request to extend the validity of your visa, I am not satisfied that there are factors beyond your control that prevent you from landing in Canada prior to the expiry of your visa. The validity of your COPR and/or visa will not be extended'.
U applied for extension on which email id or portal.Please tell as I am not able to land before visa exp as Canada has banned all travellers to enter.My tickets were also booked.Whom should I request.In how many days did the reply?Do you think they will give me extension as its not in my hands.

Jeev2020

Feb 17, 2020
Hi everyone, we (family of 3, Indian citizens) recently moved to the US for work (on March 14) and we hold CoPRs valid until 25 April. We were planning on doing a soft landing prior to our deadline, but in light of the new travel restrictions we are unsure on how to go about the same. Any advice?

Huda_suddiqui

Star Member
Dec 31, 2018
Voluntary isolation
It is just so confusing. We have flight leaving today and coming back on Friday morning back to Heathrow. According to the travel restriction we should be fine as it wil come into effect. MY only concern is when we go to the airport on Thursday night to board our flight then what will the authorities do? WIll they let us board the plane or they will simply tell us to continue to self isolate until the 14 days time is over. I have 2 kids aged 4 and 6. We just can’t decide what to do.

aries2203

Feb 23, 2017
Hi Huda.. not a solution to your query but for others in a similar situation, can you please check with immigration authorities in Canada if anyone arriving after 18th Mar with COPR will be allowed or not and update the forum? I have flights booked for 19th Mar from Heathrow with COPR expiring next week.

Huda_suddiqui

Star Member
Dec 31, 2018
Hi Huda.. not a solution to your query but for others in a similar situation, can you please check with immigration authorities in Canada if anyone arriving after 18th Mar with COPR will be allowed or not and update the forum? I have flights booked for 19th Mar from Heathrow with COPR expiring next week.
If we manage to get there I will update the forum midnight Uk time.

wick_sran

Mar 5, 2012
India
NOC Code......
AOR Received.
04-06-2019
IELTS Request
01-02-2019
I was issued CoPR on March 15 (which is still on it's way through courier) and is valid till May 15. Since Canada has closed it's border, shall I raise web form query for not being able to travel before CoPR expiry? Or, I wait for another month and see how things change?

Reactions: aurelero

amanb014

Star Member
Aug 25, 2019
I was issued CoPR on March 15 (which is still on it's way through courier) and is valid till May 15. Since Canada has closed it's border, shall I raise web form query for not being able to travel before CoPR expiry? Or, I wait for another month and see how things change?
Why is your COPR valid for such less time?

wick_sran

Mar 5, 2012
India
NOC Code......
AOR Received.
04-06-2019
IELTS Request
01-02-2019
Why is your COPR valid for such less time?
ITA: April 17, 2019
Medicals: May 15, 2019
AoR: June 4, 2019
PPR: February 28, 2020
CoPR: March 15, 2020

Since medicals are valid for one year only, they expire on May 15, 2020. Normally, CoPR is valid until medicals are valid. That's why CoPR expires on May 15, 2020.

Last edited:
Reactions: HSyed and aurelero