+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

COPR and coronavirus

Amit k

Star Member
Oct 22, 2014
Hello Guys,

I was just wondering if anybody knows how long does it take before you get your health card. I am flying on 18th and just thinking if I should get the travel insurance. Is it advisable?
Does your health benefit start as soon as you land in Canada?

Please let me know if anybody has any idea.

Thanks,

DraganaDO

Jun 2, 2019
Hello Guys,

I was just wondering if anybody knows how long does it take before you get your health card. I am flying on 18th and just thinking if I should get the travel insurance. Is it advisable?

Thanks,
Hi i am wondering the same. Planning to travel in February and considering to take travel insurance for three months as this is how much it needs for health card to be done...

whyCorona

Champion Member
Mar 17, 2020
Hello Guys,

Thanks,
There is someone posted his landing experience where they are giving health card at arrival at immigrations. @Froshy if I tagged a right person.

Froshy

Star Member
Dec 17, 2019
There is someone posted his landing experience where they are giving health card at arrival at immigrations. @Froshy if I tagged a right person.
Hey no they are not giving the health cards at the airport. They only mention that we will receive it after 2-3 months. I am yet to find out the process for it

WantToImmigrate

Champion Member
Feb 4, 2019
@legalfalcon or other knowledgeable folks please reply

My wife and I are both PRs since last March and have valid PR cards and stamped CoPRs.
BUT our 5-year old daughter has an expired CoPR and PRV issued before March 18th. (we left her with the grandparents and made a soft landing without her)
I've been trying to get the IRCC's authorization for my daughter to travel to Canada since August. I wrote them twice already stating that she's ready to travel. They didn't issue an AL or a re medical request. They just informed me that my request was forwarded to an appropriate office.
I'm really tired of pointless waiting and considering just arrive with her and her expired CoPR.
Do you think we can travel to Canada?
How about try for family reunification?

Froshy

Star Member
Dec 17, 2019
Hello Guys,

Thanks,
The immigration officer said it takes 2-3 months to receive the card. I know they need proof of address to apply for it, will update as and when I can find more details of eligibility for the health card.

In case it helps, I purchased a 6 month travel insurance coverage for myself before moving.

Amit k

Star Member
Oct 22, 2014
The immigration officer said it takes 2-3 months to receive the card. I know they need proof of address to apply for it, will update as and when I can find more details of eligibility for the health card.

In case it helps, I purchased a 6 month travel insurance coverage for myself before moving.
Perfect, thanks man!
Who did you buy the insurance from and what sort?

hypervariate123

Aug 13, 2019
Hello Guys,

Thanks,
Get 3 months of Heath insurance. For Ontario, to apply and get your health card, you need proof of immigration status (valid COPR) and proof of residency (Driver's licence, Lease Agreement, Employer letter etc. among others). It WILL be hard to get this immediately. My advice is to get coverage for 3 months at least. See: https://www.ontario.ca/page/documents-needed-get-health-card

Manulife has good options. Other than that, carry your basic medicines.

Amit k

Star Member
Oct 22, 2014
Get 3 months of Heath insurance. For Ontario, to apply and get your health card, you need proof of immigration status (valid COPR) and proof of residency (Driver's licence, Lease Agreement, Employer letter etc. among others). It WILL be hard to get this immediately. My advice is to get coverage for 3 months at least. See: https://www.ontario.ca/page/documents-needed-get-health-card

Manulife has good options. Other than that, carry your basic medicines.
Great, thanks! I will start looking into health insurance.

13nitinsharma

Champion Member
Apr 17, 2012
Canada
@13nitinsharma Hey, I need some help with something. I haven't received my AL yet although my COPR is updated on my profile with extension till feb end. My travel agent suggests i carry a Hard copy of updated COPR(which i suppose we cant since it required me to send my passport to the office and receive those documents with them). So if anyone has traveled through Airindia and successfully landed in Toronto. Please help me out what documents i need to carry??
Wait for your AL. You can't travel without AL and new COPR details updated in your GC key.

crackMBA

Mar 2, 2015
India
Hi, I am loving this forum and finding it really helpful ... Quick question, I submitted my passport and now I am waiting for the visa stamp and COPR ... my question is, if I receive the COPR and immigrant visa, can I travel to Canada, or are there travel restrictions because of COVID-19?
Again, thanks a lot for help.
is this the 1st time you are getting your visa stamped?

Last edited:

hinavin

Dec 2, 2010
Canada
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
Mississauga, Ontario Canada
Hello all , I received my authorization letter this week . And it contained this paragraph
At this time, we are not printing and mailing new CoPRs or PR visa counterfoils. For your travel to Canada, you will need to:
bring this letter, along with your original CoPR and PR visa .
So if i understand correctly i don't need to send my passport to vsf office to get a visa on my passport right ?
Correct. This is your AL (Authorisation Letter) - a document that permits you to travel and enter Canada for confirming your PR.

You do not need to send your passport for stamping.

Congratulations!