+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

COPR and coronavirus

aurelero

Star Member
Jan 18, 2019
France
IATA website

CANADA - published 19.03.2020
1. Passengers who have been outside of Canada or USA in the past 14 days, are not allowed to enter Canada.
- This does not apply to nationals of Canada and their immediate family members.
- This does not apply to permanent residents of Canada and their immediate family members.
- This does not apply to diplomats.
- This does not apply to airline crew.
- This does not apply to the following passengers:
a. Person registered as an Indian under the Indian Act;
b. Person authorized in writing by a consular officer of the government of Canada to come to Canada to reunite with immediate family members;
c. Person who is exempt from the requirements to obtain a temporary resident visa under paragraph 190 (2)(a) of the Immigration and Refugee Protection Regulations, and their immediate family members;
d. Person who enters Canada at the invitation of the Minister of Health for the purpose of assisting in the COVID-19 response;
e. Person who arrives by means of an aircraft operated by Canadian Forces or the Department of National Defence;
f. Member of the Canadian Forces or a visiting force, as defined in section 2 of the Visiting Forces Act, and their immediate family members;
g. Protected person, under section 95 (2) of the Immigration and Refugee Protection Act;
h. French citizen who resides in Saint-Pierre-et-Miquelon who has not been outside Saint-Pierre-et-Miquelon / Canada / U.S. in the last 14 days;
i. Person or class of persons that the Chief Public Health Officer, appointed under subsection 6 (1) of the Public Health Agency of Canada Act, determines does not pose a risk of significant harm to public health or who will provide an essential service while in Canada;
j. Person whom the Minister of Foreign Affairs, the Minister of Citizenship and Immigration or the Minister of Public Safety and Emergency Preparedness determines their presence is in the national interest.
2. Passengers with Coronavirus (COVID-19) symptoms are not allowed to travel to Canada until:
- they have waited for a period of 14 days; or
- they can present a medical certificate that confirms the patient is free from the Coronavirus (COVID-19).
3. Passengers who were in the cruise ship 'Diamond Princess' are subject to a mandatory 14-day isolation at a quarantine facility upon arrival in Canada.
Technically, as a french citizen I can buy a house in Saint-Pierre-et-Miquelon, stay there 14 days then move to Canada :-D

ryeCatcher

Apr 21, 2019
As per the interim order, foreign nationals who have been in the US for the past 14 days can travel anytime now. The order is already into effect- beginning at noon Eastern Daylight Time on March 18, 2020 and ending at noon Eastern Daylight Time on June 30, 2020. Pardon me if there is any other aspect to its interpretation. I referred the following links:
https://orders-in-council.canada.ca/attachment.php?attach=38952&lang=en
https://www.tc.gc.ca/eng/mediaroom/interim-order-prevent-certain-persons-boarding-flights-canada-covid-19.html
https://www.tc.gc.ca/en/services/aviation/commercial-air-services/carrying-passengers/covid-19-guidance-material-air-carriers-managing-travellers-check-in-procedure-international-airports.html
This seems to suggest any foreign national with a valid visa can travel from US to Canada?
Though I guess they might not process COPR at the Airport, in which case might be best to wait.. :|

mac88

Nov 2, 2014
There you go, cbsa made it clear. indians can travel and land.
Indian is a term that is now considered outdated and offensive, but has been used historically to identify Indigenous peoples in South, Central and North America. In Canada, “Indian” also has legal significance. It is used to refer to legally defined identities set out in the Indian Act, such as Indian Status. For some Indigenous peoples, the term “Indian” confirms their ancestry and protects their historic relationship to the Crown and federal government. For others, the definitions set out in the Indian Act are not affirmations of their identity.

It's not like Indian nationality
If you are living in Canada then you know this history
Don't confuse your self
Thanks

DixvilleNotch

Mar 11, 2019
Can someone please clarify. Does the info in the link below confirm that border will remain closed until 30th June? Or is this just the effective period of the statement given and is up for review depending on situation. How/why would they close the border for over 3 months without the possibility of opening it earlier?
That order till june 30 is only for non-citizens arriving by flight. It does not include non-citizens coming in through the US-Canada land border. It also does not include people traveling to canada from the US by flight(or after 14 days of US stay).

The us-canada border is open for "essential travel" and trade, and will possibly open for US citizens before June 30 (US citizens were exempt from the April 13 travel ban too).

saad_im

Jan 27, 2019
Canada
That order till june 30 is only for non-citizens arriving by flight. It does not include non-citizens coming in through the US-Canada land border. It also does not include people traveling to canada from the US by flight(or after 14 days of US stay).

The us-canada border is open for "essential travel" and trade, and will possibly open for US citizens before June 30 (US citizens were exempt from the April 13 travel ban too).
I was not referring to the US border. I would like to know if the Canadian border will remain closed for foreign nationals holding a CoPR till June 30th or is that up for review based on the situation.

Reactions: upon

Ramj

Sep 1, 2018
Can someone please clarify. Does the info in the link below confirm that border will remain closed until 30th June? Or is this just the effective period of the statement given and is up for review depending on situation. How/why would they close the border for over 3 months without the possibility of opening it earlier?
3 months border closure is rather extreme I dont see that happening.

Things would change as the situation becomes clearer.

Let's all relax and observe things.

saad_im

Jan 27, 2019
Canada
Hypothetically, if I fly to US on visit visa, stay at a hotel for 14 days, and then fly to Canada on CoPR, that should technically work

DixvilleNotch

Mar 11, 2019
I was not referring to the US border. I would like to know if the Canadian border will remain closed for foreign nationals holding a CoPR till June 30th or is that up for review based on the situation.
Flying into canada (from a country not the US) is on hold till june 30 for copr visa (unless you have a canadian citizen spouse/parent or spouse PR holder). This order was issued on the 18.

will it change or be updated? no one knows rn.

PriyaSi

Dec 18, 2019
This seems to suggest any foreign national with a valid visa can travel from US to Canada?
Though I guess they might not process COPR at the Airport, in which case might be best to wait.. :|
People with COPR document are in possession of the PR visa in their passports. The information published on these links doesn't differentiate between the types of visa primarily. But of course, in the wake of recent happenings, people should hold on to their travels if they can really do so. But if there are people in the US hoping to get their PR status activated with PR visa expiring soon, this does seem like a welcome news.

russ6970

VIP Member
Sep 14, 2017
Newfoundland
Category........
FAM
LANDED..........
31-12-2020
Incorrect. Those who meet any of the exemptions, such as being the immediate family member of a Canadian citizen/PR, can travel. This is not an "interpretation"; it is published information from the Canadian government.
Yes family of citizen but not PR. I have seen and listened to the info.

Chiya89

Star Member
Apr 7, 2017
This is not good situation for anyone . Let’s keep this thread alive and update each other as we here info regarding COPR holders travel.

Reactions: russ6970

saad_im

Jan 27, 2019
Canada
I'm really surprised how CIC/IRCC haven't clarified the most burning question that all people with CoPR have.
A) Will Borders remain closed for COPR holders until 30th June?
B) if so, what happens to people who were unable to travel and now have expired CoPR and PRV.
Answering these will help put a lot of anxious people at ease with more clarity and assurance that they will not have to go through a lengthy application process again.

Reactions: aurelero