+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

COPR and coronavirus

desi_me_rollin

Jun 1, 2017
I have a question regarding the quarantine plan. I was planning on getting an AirBNB and have groceries arranged. The standard plan that one can think off.

However, I was talking to two different people who are planning to fly back to Canada and realized that they do not have any such plan in place. They have work permits and have been working there, living in shared apartments so that would be a no no for quarantine.

They keep insisting that the government will arrange one instead for them when they land. Is that true? Also, if so, are they charging for it?

I think I still prefer my own method since this is my first landing + I like my own place, but I wanted to know more about the govt's option.

saad_im

Jan 27, 2019
Canada
Hiya,

I would advise you to get in touch with the Dubai consulate. I am in the same situation as you and infact there have been flights since April/May to Canada from UAE. The Dubai consulate has been helping with such bookings (both citizens and PR holder), basically you fly to Frankfurt or London via emirates/etihad and then to Canada via Air Canada. The Consulate has a whole list of flights that you could take, they kept updating it on a google sheet, and two travel agencies that are making such direct bookings for both airlines all the way to Canada.

Emirates has now resumed its direct flights to Toronto, there is one every other day. So I guess contacting the consulate would no longer needed.
I'm also a Dubai resident. As far as I'm aware, you don't need to contact the consulate for any flights. That are posted on the airlines website. Even before Emirates started their direct flights, you only needed to contact the consulate if you were boarding one of those special repatriation flights. But for regular flights listed on their websites with other airlines, you did not need consulate assistance. For people with a return ticket who intend to return back to UAE need to get approval from ICA. But this does not apply to one-way ticket holders

I am planning to travel from Dubai with KLM

Reactions: M160RA

Bs65

VIP Member
Mar 22, 2016
I have a question regarding the quarantine plan. I was planning on getting an AirBNB and have groceries arranged. The standard plan that one can think off.

However, I was talking to two different people who are planning to fly back to Canada and realized that they do not have any such plan in place. They have work permits and have been working there, living in shared apartments so that would be a no no for quarantine.

They keep insisting that the government will arrange one instead for them when they land. Is that true? Also, if so, are they charging for it?

I think I still prefer my own method since this is my first landing + I like my own place, but I wanted to know more about the govt's option.
Cannot see the government paying for quarantine if someone cannot be bothered to organise their own accommodation else nobody would bother. It is likely the government has made some block hotel bookings which will not I would think be free to the traveller. I guess worst case could be some sort of a detention center if such things exist which would not be much fun, that might be free but hotel accommodation doubtful but I know as little as anyone else so all speculation

On a work permit of course CBSA could just deny them entry if they are not satisfied they meet any current entry requirements or have made zero effort with an isolation plan, they are after all only temp residents with no guaranteed entry rights that citizens or PRs have.

Basically nobody has been irresponsible and come back on here and shared the fact they didnt bother to arrive with an isolation plan.

Guess is up to them to prove everyone wrong and arrive with no plan, see what happens

Last edited:

sg0608

Jul 31, 2019
So guys finally land at Toronto Pearson.

COPR validity was till 18th May.
Landed immigrant on 18th May.
Delhi London Air India
London Toronto Air Canada

At Pearson immigration two forms were required to fill.
One is regarding Covid-19, like you plans of quarantine which requires address, phone numbers, type of property.

Immigration Officer verbally asked about the number of rooms available at the property where I’m gonna stay, will it have separate kitchen, will it have easy access to the essential stores.

Another form was like United States Customs form having questions like are you carrying weapon, meat, currency more than 10000 CAD, etc. and aN important question:- do you have goods to follow? I answered yes to it as I have made a list of around 100000 CAD jewellery along with valuation and pictures of each ornament.

After simple formality immigration officer signed and stamped my COPR with cute smile on face and laughing on the last day arrival.

Then at the exit I submitted the second form in which I declared goods to follow. Then the concerned officer said to visit CBSA before exit. CBSA counter was right there on the left side of exit gate.
CBSA officer stamped my goods to follow list which include only jewellery. She gave me a bill of 100000 CAD and a copy of my goods to Follow list along with pictures of jewellery.

SIN applications are not available at the airport these days, so I will apply online.
Hey, just wanted to confirm in terms of documentation you only needed the following -

1. passport
2. copr
3. proof of funds
4. goods to follow list

Am i right?

Reactions: aurelero and virkz

desi_me_rollin

Jun 1, 2017
I'm also a Dubai resident. As far as I'm aware, you don't need to contact the consulate for any flights. That are posted on the airlines website. Even before Emirates started their direct flights, you only needed to contact the consulate if you were boarding one of those special repatriation flights. But for regular flights listed on their websites with other airlines, you did not need consulate assistance. For people with a return ticket who intend to return back to UAE need to get approval from ICA. But this does not apply to one-way ticket holders

I am planning to travel from Dubai with KLM
I meant this was for April and May when there were no direct flights to Canada. However since Emirates has opened it up this week, I guess you no longer need to contact the consulate. I just know a few people whose COPR was expiring in May and the consulate told them to get on those flights. They managed to do so easily.

Regarding KLM, are you sure they are flying? I know KLM and Turkish airlines have been taking bookings but they always said that it is subject to approval and kept moving dates forward. I guess they are set to fly in June? I did not bother booking with them and waited for Emirates to open up instead. I also could not find KLM in the list that the Canadian consulate has provided for confirmed flights.

desi_me_rollin

Jun 1, 2017
Cannot see the government paying for quarantine if someone cannot be bothered to organise their own accommodation else nobody would bother. It is likely the government has made some block hotel bookings which will not I would think be free to the traveller. I guess worst case could be some sort of a detention center if such things exist which would not be much fun, that might be free but hotel accommodation doubtful but I know as little as anyone else so all speculation

On a work permit of course CBSA could just deny them entry if they are not satisfied they meet any current entry requirements or have made zero effort with an isolation plan, they are after all only temp residents with no guaranteed entry rights that citizens or PRs have.

Basically nobody has been irresponsible and come back on here and shared the fact they didnt bother to arrive with an isolation plan.

Guess is up to them to prove everyone wrong and arrive with no plan, see what happens
Yeah I agree, I think common sense would prevail. Plus it seems that people are being asked in detail about the plan from a few posts that I have seen online.

I think I will stick with my AirBnB apartment for a month + instacart.

Reactions: pumpkin_latte

Bs65

VIP Member
Mar 22, 2016
Yeah I agree, I think common sense would prevail. Plus it seems that people are being asked in detail about the plan from a few posts that I have seen online.

I think I will stick with my AirBnB apartment for a month + instacart.
Just an update based on this press report below last month although nothing official on IRCC or Government website. Seems government made a statement last month they will cover cost but this seems pretty ridiculous as nobody then need bother with a plan as no incentive. Just arrive for a soft landing for example and have a 'free hotel stay' for 14 days on the government. Fine confined to room so not pleasant stay but still it should not be free and maybe only applies to Citizens and PRs who knows

This is a press report only nothing visible that can see on IRCC or any government site

https://edmonton.citynews.ca/2020/04/14/government-enacts-stricter-quarantine-measures-for-returnees-to-canada-2/

desi_me_rollin

Jun 1, 2017
Just an update based on this press report below last month although nothing official on IRCC or Government website. Seems government made a statement last month they will cover cost but this seems pretty ridiculous as nobody then need bother with a plan as no incentive. Just arrive for a soft landing for example and have a 'free hotel stay' for 14 days on the government. Fine confined to room so not pleasant stay but still it should not be free and maybe only applies to Citizens and PRs who knows

This is a press report only nothing visible that can see on IRCC or any government site

https://edmonton.citynews.ca/2020/04/14/government-enacts-stricter-quarantine-measures-for-returnees-to-canada-2/
I did a search as well and could not find anything on IRCC. I guess I will tell them once again that maybe they should reconsider and get a plan ready.

Also, I would not be surprised that only Canadian citizens are covered, if it was such a case.

virkz

Star Member
Oct 26, 2019
Chandigarh
Category........
FSW
Visa Office......
Ottawa
NOC Code......
AOR Received.
18-03-2019
Med's Done....
18-05-2019
Passport Req..
26-10-2019
VISA ISSUED...
01-11-2019
LANDED..........
18-05-2020
Hey, just wanted to confirm in terms of documentation you only needed the following -

1. passport
2. copr
3. proof of funds
4. goods to follow list

Am i right?
Yes that’s the all you required. Apart from the above, I took with me a print of that exemption guidelines in which COPR holders are allowed to board a flight but neither Air India nor Air Canada demanded this type of notification, may be they are now already aware. And no one even ask for proof of funds, they just make sure that I was not carrying cash more that 10,000$.

saad_im

Jan 27, 2019
Canada
I meant this was for April and May when there were no direct flights to Canada. However since Emirates has opened it up this week, I guess you no longer need to contact the consulate. I just know a few people whose COPR was expiring in May and the consulate told them to get on those flights. They managed to do so easily.

Regarding KLM, are you sure they are flying? I know KLM and Turkish airlines have been taking bookings but they always said that it is subject to approval and kept moving dates forward. I guess they are set to fly in June? I did not bother booking with them and waited for Emirates to open up instead. I also could not find KLM in the list that the Canadian consulate has provided for confirmed flights.
Yes KLM has been flying out from Dubai. Its not flying as many flights as before but it had around 6 or 7 flights during May. I called them and they said that even for June, they are almost sold out

Canaspirant xyz

Aug 21, 2018

Govt plans are chargeable.They can be quite expensive.Go with Air Bnb.

saad_im

Jan 27, 2019
Canada

Can you please share the link of the confirmed flights as per Canadian Consulate. Also, could it be that it did not include KLM as it does not fly direct from Dubai and goes via Amsterdam?

Silent_boy

Dec 4, 2018
Dear All,
Has anyone recently had flight with Qatar Airways, are they boarding COPR holders.
COPR issue date is 10 March 2020 and my wife and son lives in Canada.

Thank you.

SithLord

VIP Member
Aug 18, 2017
Dear All,
Has anyone recently had flight with Qatar Airways, are they boarding COPR holders.
COPR issue date is 10 March 2020 and my wife and son lives in Canada.

Thank you.
As per IRCC's latest email, you should be able to board any aircraft as long as you hold a valid COPR issued on or before 18 March 2020