+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

COPR and coronavirus

SaraRahul

Jun 15, 2019
Just entered Canada from US by flight. Immigration procedure is super easy, nothing to worry.
Congrats:) my husband and I are also based out of Kansas and our COPR expires on June 27. We had a plan to travel during April end but we ended up postponing it and now looking to do a soft landing land by May mid. Can u give us more info on
1) the self isolation process (we had a plan to stay at our friends place but since there was the rule of self isolation for 14 days we thought of renting an airbnb) that you are going through?
2) also the process to get the PR card ? since it was mentioned that all landing appointments are cancelled.
3) is there any difficulty in returning back to Usa and should we again self isolate after returning back to Usa ?

Gayathri Neelakandan

Apr 6, 2020
There is someone here whose application was reopened for extension after 2 days of CoPR expiry date. Maybe you can wait till next week and check you application status. If no update then raise the webform. You can ask for extension even after your CoPR expiry as per the process published by IRCC.
Thanks for the reply

raga25

Mar 19, 2020
Congrats:) my husband and I are also based out of Kansas and our COPR expires on June 27. We had a plan to travel during April end but we ended up postponing it and now looking to do a soft landing land by May mid. Can u give us more info on
1) the self isolation process (we had a plan to stay at our friends place but since there was the rule of self isolation for 14 days we thought of renting an airbnb) that you are going through?
2) also the process to get the PR card ? since it was mentioned that all landing appointments are cancelled.
3) is there any difficulty in returning back to Usa and should we again self isolate after returning back to Usa ?
I am in a similar situation and planning to do my landing around the same time as well, I guess quarantine rules after returning to US might vary from state to state.

niko80

Apr 21, 2014
- booked studio on expedia
- in your case, do you need interview?
- so far we can go back to US but situation can change, yes again 14 day self isolation is US

SaraRahul

Jun 15, 2019
- booked studio on expedia
- in your case, do you need interview?
- so far we can go back to US but situation can change, yes again 14 day self isolation is US
Thanks so much for the reply. Regarding question 2, I am not so sure about this whole interview and landing appointments process. Is it for inland applicants? In that case I am not an inland applicant. So how does this work out in regards with getting the PR card for applicants outside Canada? Will the process happen at the airport itself? And also, I have planned to give my friend’s address for PR card so they can send it to us. Will that work out ?
Additionally one more question, we recently moved to a different address within Kansas and should I update that anywhere in my application?

SaraRahul

Jun 15, 2019
I am in a similar situation and planning to do my landing around the same time as well, I guess quarantine rules after returning to US might vary from state to state.
Hi... thank u for the reply.
oh ok then I guess we need to quarantine in both places :)

Islander216

Champion Member
Nov 27, 2019
Once you go through your landing procedure at the airport, the border agent will go through the formalities, sign your COPR and initiate your PR card application, this is when you will also provide the address to which the PR card is sent. Just provide the address and it should be fine, however, there have been some occasions in the past when the agent has asked if it's someone else's address, in which case they might not agree to send the PR card there. But that was not my experience. If that happens you can provide another address, or provide an address later on.

Just be forewarned that there is a big delay in processing of PR cards, the ETA nowadays is at least 3 months. Even that's not sure, and most likely will take longer.

If you've already received your COPR i don't think it's necessary to update your application. But you can inform them by webform of your change of address if you wish to.

Last edited:

SaraRahul

Jun 15, 2019
Once you go through your landing procedure at the airport, the border agent will go through the formalities, sign your COPR and initiate your PR card application, this is when you will also provide the address to which the PR card is sent. Just provide the address and it should be fine, however, there have been someone occasions in the past when the agent has asked if it's someone else's address, in which case they might not agree to send the PR card there. But that was not my experience.

If you've already received your COPR i don't think it's necessary to update your application. But you can inform them by webform of your change of address if you wish to.
Thank u so much for the reply.
Oh fine.So this statement on IRCC site “we have cancelled all landing appointments and the interview will be scheduled via phone call” applies only to inland applicants right? This is not for applicants outside Canada and we will be undergoing the usual landing procedures as is ?
Any idea on how long does it take to get the PR card?
I guess I will just update them my new address through a web form to be on a safer side. Thanks again :)

Islander216

Champion Member
Nov 27, 2019
Thank u so much for the reply.
Oh fine.So this statement on IRCC site “we have cancelled all landing appointments and the interview will be scheduled via phone call” applies only to inland applicants right? This is not for applicants outside Canada and we will be undergoing the usual landing procedures as is ?
Any idea on how long does it take to get the PR card?
I guess I will just update them my new address through a web form to be on a safer side. Thanks again :)
Yes, only to inland applicants.

Outland applicants go through a mandatory landing procedure at the airport, this is always applicable.

PR card processing times are very variable now, but most likely 3+ months.

indpnv

Mar 16, 2018
United States
Similar situation, In US and my COPR expires on 4-June and I plan to land on June 1. If the isolation thing isn't relaxed by may 15, I will be staying in an AirBnB or a hotel.
#2: AFAIK, the landing appointments cancellations are for the in-land applicants.
For #3, it's fine if you have a Temporary Visa (H1, F1 etc), Confirmed with the immigration team in my company. (Also sent an email to CBP asking this, hopefully they reply soon)

SaraRahul

Jun 15, 2019
Yes, only to inland applications.

Outland applications go through a mandatory landing procedure at the airport, this is always applicable.

PR card processing times are very variable now, but most likely 3+ months.
Oh fine.. thanks then ... will there be a pblm in giving my friends address? I do not have any other address except for their address.