+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

COPR and coronavirus

ryeCatcher

Apr 21, 2019
Hi RyeCatcher,
I read the same many conflicting replies in different groups from CBSA land border agents. I think its best if we fly for landing purpose. When I called Niagara falls - Peace bridge, the agent said that they won't process COPR and that I will have to return back.
Thats the thing the CBSA person told me same process at land and airport:

Will allow you can enter Canada with the COPR
But will not do the landing process.
IRCC will contact you regarding finishing the landing process

I suspect a change in policy is coming :|

whyCorona

Champion Member
Mar 17, 2020
Thats the thing the CBSA person told me same process at land and airport:

Will allow you can enter Canada with the COPR
But will not do the landing process.
IRCC will contact you regarding finishing the landing process

I suspect a change in policy is coming :|
Process like what? To give PR status over email?

ryeCatcher

Apr 21, 2019
Process like what? To give PR status over email?
That seems to be what is happening for inland applicants right?
So maybe that is what they are planning, outland have to enter Canada, once they enter IRCC will send a similar letter confirming PR status.

This is just my guess based on what the CBSA helpline told me today.

ryeCatcher

Apr 21, 2019
Yes, I hope they skip landing step for outland applicants too
I think they will.
Just that it will only be possible once you are "inside Canada" that is once an outland applicant is essentially inland.
That would most likely eliminate or complicate the process for any "soft landing" is my concern :(

Again just my guess

whyCorona

Champion Member
Mar 17, 2020
Yes, I hope they skip landing step for outland applicants too
yes, why travel for landing process? I believe giving PR status over email should be helpful for IRCC and outland CoPR holders. There are many CoPR holders who have left their jobs and belongings. Giving a PR status based on current circumstances will be a good news and sign of relief.

akb21

Feb 6, 2020
Toronto
yes, why travel for landing process? I believe giving PR status over email should be helpful for IRCC and outland CoPR holders. There are many CoPR holders who have left their jobs and belongings. Giving a PR status based on current circumstances will be a good news and sign of relief.
While this would be good for outlanders, it defies the purpose of express entry, that is to contribute to Canadian economy and replace the aging population. 'Soft landing' and 'travel for landing' is not the norm, it is just convenience and exploitation of 2/5 years rule. When COPR is issued, IRCC is expecting the applicant to immigrate and start contributing to economy which in turn makes them eligible for benefits. Not stepping a foot in country and yet have the same rights as a permanent resident would put additional pressure on the govt, for example, just think about applicants who have applied for FSW just as a backup. IRCC has taken a good initiative for inlanders, for outlanders I hope they auto renew everybody's COPR and counterfoil to give all some peace of mind..

Roger Heeralal

Mar 18, 2020
I asked them using their online form and they replied (sorry it's in french):

"Bonjour M. XXXXXXX,

Je vous remercie de votre courriel.
Suite aux récents développements dus au Covid-19, nous recommandons à nos passagers de consulter notre site internet à la page suivante pour tout renseignement sur les modalités d'achat, de changement de billet, d'annulation, et les dernières informations concernant les restrictions de voyage:
https://www.aircanada.com/fr/fr/aco/home/book/travel-news-and-updates/2020/covid-19.html
Air Canada suit les instructions et directives des services de Sécurité du Gouvernement du Canada. Nous vous recommandons de contacter les services consulaires de l'Ambassade du Canada en France concernant tout voyage futur au Canada.
Avant votre voyage, nous vous recommandons de vous munir de toute pièce justificative et document de voyage valide.
Nous vous remercions de nous avoir contacté et veuillez recevoir, Monsieur, nos meilleures salutations.
Cordialement,
Eric Durand
Coordinateur, Relations Clientèle"

whyCorona

Champion Member
Mar 17, 2020
While this would be good for outlanders, it defies the purpose of express entry, that is to contribute to Canadian economy and replace the aging population. 'Soft landing' and 'travel for landing' is not the norm, it is just convenience and exploitation of 2/5 years rule. When COPR is issued, IRCC is expecting the applicant to immigrate and start contributing to economy which in turn makes them eligible for benefits. Not stepping a foot in country and yet have the same rights as a permanent resident would put additional pressure on the govt, for example, just think about applicants who have applied for FSW just as a backup. IRCC has taken a good initiative for inlanders, for outlanders I hope they auto renew everybody's COPR and counterfoil to give all some peace of mind..
Oh I got you!
Let me put it in this way. We are currently living in uncertain times where we cant predict what will be the situation in next month with this virus? Will there be new travel restrictions or will they ease out? Your points are valid. After some months when things go to normal there will be immigration gap created which needs to be filled. At that point a outland CoPR holder should be ready to travel. Maybe giving a travel authorization letter over email which is valid for one year or something like that would be helpful. This is just a suggestion. If going by current extension process we need to tell IRCC when we will be able to travel so that they can start the CoPR extension process. No one right now specially in India know when they will be in that position to tell IRCC. Other thing is that if wave 2 of this virus happens while CoPR extension is in progress then what? Oh man! such an uncertainty.

Canaspirant xyz

Aug 21, 2018
Oh I got you!
Let me put it in this way. We are currently living in uncertain times where we cant predict what will be the situation in next month with this virus? Will there be new travel restrictions or will they ease out? Your points are valid. After some months when things go to normal there will be immigration gap created which needs to be filled. At that point a outland CoPR holder should be ready to travel. Maybe giving a travel authorization letter over email which is valid for one year or something like that would be helpful. This is just a suggestion. If going by current extension process we need to tell IRCC when we will be able to travel so that they can start the CoPR extension process. No one right now specially in India know when they will be in that position to tell IRCC. Other thing is that if wave 2 of this virus happens while CoPR extension is in progress then what? Oh man! such an uncertainty.
Exactly.We should be allowed to travel as soon as we can otherwise ,if they start extension process after the restrictions are lifted it will cause delay for another 2 to 3 months .They could give such authorisation letters that we can land whenever we are able to .

Reactions: ryeCatcher

whyCorona

Champion Member
Mar 17, 2020
Exactly.We should be allowed to travel as soon as we can otherwise ,if they start extension process after the restrictions are lifted it will cause delay for another 2 to 3 months .They could give such authorisation letters that we can land whenever we are able to .
Let's see if there would be some modifications in COVID19 Program Delivery as situation evolves. At the end we need to follow what IRCC instructs.

Reactions: Canaspirant xyz

jefferson12

Apr 5, 2020

IRCC has already announced that extensions will be given automatically. No one expects anyone to travel immediately. This is the generic response that some applicants are receiving.

Also, all IRCC offices in Canada are closed that there that are working with remote employees have reduced operational capability.

There is a bigger crisis that a nation is dealing with than responding to individual webforms and emails, to which the answers have already been provided by IRCC.
Where did you get this letter bud? Did they send it to you by email?