+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

COPR and coronavirus

Raghuveer

Apr 4, 2020
Hi guys

I got the following reply from the IRCC Singapore. I am from Bangladesh, but my passport was stamped there. I assumed that means that they are my visa office, which is why emailed them.

''Dear Applicant,

We understand that given the current situation you may be unable to travel before the expiry of your visa and Confirmation of Permanent Residence (COPR). Once the travel restrictions have been removed and you are able to travel to Canada please contact us and we will instruct you then on how to proceed to have a new visa and COPR issued.

Due to the Coronavirus outbreak, please note that Canada’s mission in Singapore is providingessential services only. While we continue to serve our clients, service disruptions and restrictions due to COVID-19 may have an impact on processing times, and the current posted processing times may not be accurate.

Visa Application Centres (VAC) in Singapore, Bangladesh and Malaysia are also temporarily closed due to local government instructions. Panel physicians in your region may also not be providing services at this time.

The resumption of services at the Visa Application Centres and Panel of physicians are subject to authorization from local government authorities.

Please monitor the website of the VAC at the link below:

Bangladesh: https://www.vfsglobal.ca/Canada/Bangladesh/

Malaysia: https://www.vfsglobal.ca/canada/malaysia/

Singapore: https://www.vfsglobal.ca/Canada/Singapore/

For visa processing changes at IRCC, please visit

https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/services/coronavirus-covid19/apply-visit-work-student.html

We hope above information will be of assistance.

Sincerely,

Immigration, Refugees and Citizenship Canada (IRCC) / Immigration, Réfugiés et Citoyenneté Canada (IRCC) / ml

High Commission of Canada, Singapore / Haut commissariat du Canada, Singapour

Website | Site Web: www.canada.ca/immigration | www.singapore.gc.ca

Webform: http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/contacts/web-form.asp

General Enquiries: Singapore-im-enquiry@international.gc.ca"

I also raised a webform to IRCC yesterday - no reply yet. I did not add my confirmed flight tickets, which I had to cancel due to the travel ban. Should I raise another one and add it as well?
Thanks for sharing. IRCC will not reply immediately. They usually reply after 10-15 days. It is not a good idea to submit multiple webforms one after another.

Reactions: M160RA

whyCorona

Champion Member
Mar 17, 2020
New Delhi Visa Office had posted below on their facebook page on 29th March (https://m.facebook.com/notes/canada-in-india-high-commission-of-canada/travel-and-visa-advisory-covid-19/3087838001268813/)

and same they are replying to folks raising webforms. This communication is quite comforting.

"If you have been issued a Confirmation of Permanent Resident (COPR) document and you have not yet travelled to Canada and had your landing interview, you are still a foreign national. If your counterfoil expires prior to the restrictions being lifted, you do not need to email us as you will receive communication from our office on the next steps to be taken in order to travel to Canada after the travel restrictions have been lifted

For up to date information regarding IRCCs response to COVID-19 follow us on Facebook. As we are receiving numerous e-mails during this time please only email us if you CANNOT find the answer through the information and helpful links on our Facebook page."
Yes, I have received same information on my FB query and also webform query. They are waiting to get back to work. Maybe after 20th April we might get some news regarding CoPR extensions.

IGOR_BR

Star Member
Sep 11, 2015
I am in this boat with you. In Ottawa right now, need an inland appointment ASAP, documents expiring on 5 May. Are IRCC doing any inland appointments via telephone as it says on their website? Very anxious don’t know what todo. Please if anyone has any information on what I can do if you’re INSIDE canada and need to complete landing ASAP before expiry. Thanks
Same thing here... I'm in Calgary... It seems the Government has forgotten about the inland applicants...

Canaspirant xyz

Aug 21, 2018
Agents always want money. Even if Air Canada gives you refund then they will keep some share of it as so called service fees. Agents are like "Hello Sir!" when you ask for flight bookings and Agents are like "Bye Sir!" when you ask for refund.
Yes thats ryt.For my Delta flight they cut 1000 rs per tic service charge.I thot airlines have cut but now I got it that it went into agents tummy.But still for foreign flight bookings I prefer to book with agents.As u can take their help in many things.But has any one in this forum got refund from air canada.Pls update so that I have update that is it only me or others too are waiting for refunds??

M160RA

Star Member
Apr 5, 2020
Thanks for sharing. IRCC will not reply immediately. They usually reply after 10-15 days. It is not a good idea to submit multiple webforms one after another.
Thanks. I will also share any replies I get from IRCC.

It totally slipped my mind to attach the ticket confirmation. I hope it does not affect my case negatively.

hope@90

Jun 7, 2016
Hi All,

I received my CoPR, I applied for my PR under Express entry - Canadian Experience Class. I lost my job because of current situation, i received my CoPR but cant do landing since immigration offices are closed and cannot go to border. I am inland applicant. Will loosing my job affects my landing?

Any reply to your knowledge will be appreciated

Thank you

whyCorona

Champion Member
Mar 17, 2020
Ok, i booked through a booking agent. N Air Canada has given us a 24 monthextension on our tickets. Where do you see this credited amount? Is there an account?
If you have booked before 31st March. When my first flight got cancelled then I had two options to get full refund on my card and second to use it as credit for my future travel in 24 months. But after this I rebooked twice and all flights got cancelled. I believe this is enough indication for me to not travel at this moment. Might wait for CoPR extension.

Jeevan123

Jan 8, 2019
Hi All,
I have copr. My work assignment starts as soon as I land in Toronto and I have the option to work from home. I will be in 14 day quarantine and will not have SIN number (service Canada office closed at airport). I am not sure if I can start working immediately.

1. Do I need to wait till I get the SIN number to start working?

2. Is there a way to apply SIN online? Does it need address proof?

3. Can I get any TAX number to give it to my employer so that I can start working and apply for SIN once the 14 day quarantine ends? Will service Canada get me a tax number?

Thanks,
Jeevan

winterisnotcoming

Star Member
Mar 30, 2019
Hi All,
I have copr. My work assignment starts as soon as I land in Toronto and I have the option to work from home. I will be in 14 day quarantine and will not have SIN number (service Canada office closed at airport). I am not sure if I can start working immediately.

1. Do I need to wait till I get the SIN number to start working?

2. Is there a way to apply SIN online? Does it need address proof?

3. Can I get any TAX number to give it to my employer so that I can start working and apply for SIN once the 14 day quarantine ends? Will service Canada get me a tax number?

Thanks,
Jeevan
1. Yes
2. https://www.canada.ca/en/employment-social-development/services/sin/apply.html#online
3. I don't think so
Make sure you land in Toronto when the Service Canada office at the airport is open. Its right next to the counters where you sign your COPR with the officer. Otherwise you are going to have a hard time getting a SIN and starting employment. Its been more than a month and I dont have a SIN yet. If it's closed, then open a bank account (I did one with TD bank for $300 cash bonus offer) and try using one of their account confirmation papers (there will be one doc with your name, address and account information) as a proof of address. I am not sure if it works, but thats the best doc I had.

jyyde

May 3, 2017
Congrats for the landing. Are you staying on an AirBnb or else and is your stay address the same you provided for the PR card delivery?
I’m staying at a family friend’s address and used the same address for PR card delivery but I was told and given a form to change address or do it online.