+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

COPR and coronavirus

mapleleaf987

Jun 29, 2017
I

It’s not by choice. Foreign nationals in possession of COPR cannot enter Canada after Trudeau’s statement. Us citizens, , Canadian PRs, Canadian citizens and their immediate families being exceptions.
the link only states what one should do if they are unable to land. it does not say where one makes that decision by choice or is forced under the circumstances. no one is in the situation they are currently by choice. its unfortunate, but atleast appreciate whatever little the govt is trying to do to help.

Reactions: ryeCatcher

Ali99947

Feb 24, 2019
Guys I am from Karachi, Pakistan and was planning to travel in the last week of March. What is the latest news from IRCC regarding people with CoPR and PRV? Will they allow us to land in Canada during the restriction period?

Reactions: tagarzain555

tagarzain555

Star Member
Aug 4, 2019
Guys I am from Karachi, Pakistan and was planning to travel in the last week of March. What is the latest news from IRCC regarding people with CoPR and PRV? Will they allow us to land in Canada during the restriction period?
ALI, please follow conversation above.

shasan2

May 10, 2018
Hi all. I am in exactly same situation as most of you. My copr expires on 8th May and I had intended to fly on 17th March but given the covid situation and being accompanied by an infant I have extended my dates

I informed the ircc of the same also mentioning the travel ban that is now in place. I attached my tickets and bookings etc. Has anyone heard back on the web form yet. Is there anything else we can do at this point.

tagarzain555

Star Member
Aug 4, 2019
Hi all. I am in exactly same situation as most of you. My copr expires on 8th May and I had intended to fly on 17th March but given the covid situation and being accompanied by an infant I have extended my dates

I informed the ircc of the same also mentioning the travel ban that is now in place. I attached my tickets and bookings etc. Has anyone heard back on the web form yet. Is there anything else we can do at this point.
Raised two webforms but still no response or receipt of email.

Ali99947

Feb 24, 2019
I hope and pray they make an exception for us CoPR holders and exempt us from the travel ban and this virus disappears in the summer.

freshonekid

Mar 17, 2020
Hi Guys - We tried to flagpole this morning at Rainbow Bridge in Niagara. We spoke to a Canada Border Services Officer on the Canadian side before even attempting to cross the bridge. Asked if we could flagpole and he said "Have you not read the news? Go home and self-isolate". The Federal Government news release is ambiguous - it says foreign nationals arriving after March 18 are banned if they arrive by air, but it says nothing about land borders. We tried to explain this to the officer and reason with him, but he was having none of it. He said unequivocally that effective immediately they are not allowing foreign nationals and not processing COPR at this particular border. He told us to go home.

I also called Canada Border Services at 204 983 3500 two times. The first agent said "DO NOT go to the land border, we are not processing COPR. We have half a million snowbirds (ie. Canadians living in the US) returning home and this is our first priority". The second agent said "You are taking a chance. Border agents are prioritizing essential services. If you attempt to flagpole before March 18 its possible you may get through, but it's also possible they are busy and they refuse to process your COPR, in which case you are stuck in between two countries and you may get deported".

Wish I had better news. I am going to wait until we receive further clarification from IRCC. Good luck to you all.

SCOTCAD

Star Member
May 20, 2018
Hi Guys - We tried to flagpole this morning at Rainbow Bridge in Niagara. We spoke to a Canada Border Services Officer on the Canadian side before even attempting to cross the bridge. Asked if we could flagpole and he said "Have you not read the news? Go home and self-isolate". The Federal Government news release is ambiguous - it says foreign nationals arriving after March 18 are banned if they arrive by air, but it says nothing about land borders. We tried to explain this to the officer and reason with him, but he was having none of it. He said unequivocally that effective immediately they are not allowing foreign nationals and not processing COPR at this particular border. He told us to go home.

I also called Canada Border Services at 204 983 3500 two times. The first agent said "DO NOT go to the land border, we are not processing COPR. We have half a million snowbirds (ie. Canadians living in the US) returning home and this is our first priority". The second agent said "You are taking a chance. Border agents are prioritizing essential services. If you attempt to flagpole before March 18 its possible you may get through, but it's also possible they are busy and they refuse to process your COPR, in which case you are stuck in between two countries and you may get deported".

Wish I had better news. I am going to wait until we receive further clarification from IRCC. Good luck to you all.
Thanks for the update.
I’m still confused about the ‘immediate family’ of Canadian citizens that are going to be allowed to enter Canada. What is classified as immediate family and what status of the person will be allowed.

I’m a COPR and commonlaw partner of a Canadian citizen but unsure if this allows me to land and complete the procedure.

ryeCatcher

Apr 21, 2019

I was told something similar on the number.
Was told definitely do not travel we are very busy and will not process COPR :(
Said ideally do not travel at least for 2 weeks, but you can check back in 1 week :(

whyCorona

Champion Member
Mar 17, 2020
Hello CoPR holders,

First of all do not panic as I am also trying the same :p

I believe the strategy over here is to first let all Canada citizens and PR card holders and their families to enter into Canada in this CoronaVirus pandemic situation. Then re-access the situation in 2 to 3 weeks as several measures such work from home and lockdowns have already been implemented across Canada to avoid spreading of virus and containing it.

Let's hope for something good and see if situation changes for CoPR holders after 1 to 2 weeks.

You are not alone in this situation.

#LetsFightCorona

ryeCatcher

Apr 21, 2019
Hello CoPR holders,

First of all do not panic as I am also trying the same :p

I believe the strategy over here is to first let all Canada citizens and PR card holders and their families to enter into Canada in this CoronaVirus pandemic situation. Then re-access the situation in 2 to 3 weeks as several measures such work from home and lockdowns have already been implemented across Canada to avoid spreading of virus and containing it.

Let's hope for something good and see if situation changes for CoPR holders after 1 to 2 weeks.

You are not alone in this situation.

#LetsFightCorona
Thank you for positive words
I am feeling very disheartened, so near yet so far, such terrible timing. Just want to get ahead with life in Canada.
Am hopeful though that in some time they will restart the processing of COPR again at borders and adjust the validity of COPRs for those who cannot travel to Canada. Fingers crossed for future

backtotrack

Aug 16, 2019
Brazil
Category........
PNP
Pre-Assessed..
Yes
AOR Received.
20-12-2018
Med's Done....
04-02-2019
Hello, I have flight booked to March 24th with COPR. We already left our jobs, sold most part of our furnitures and finished the deal with the landlord. Today we contacted the local canadian consulate in-person and by e-mail, and they didn't really know what to say. The miss who assisted us consulted the canadian international affaires and they sent us an e-mail very ambigous as she also did. Here are the responses:

Dear applicant,

Thanks for contacting us.

For further inquiry regarding your current Permanent Resident visa and COPR, we kindly request you to refer to the office responsible for it (Centralized Intake Office in Sidney, NS). You may reach them by using the IRCC Client Support Centre Services or try to contact them directly.

Additionally, you may still confirm your PR status before the expiration date of PR Visa (or medical exams, whichever comes first).

AND

Good day,

If you don’t have your PR after landing, please contact the office which issued and processed your application.

Thank you,

* In person, the lady told us not to go. What I see is that they don't want to officialy compromise with a ban to PR newcomers, but they don't want to motivate anyone to run to the borders right now. Morally, the right thing to do is social distancing. So if you can postpone your landing DO IT. If you cannot, prepare to the worst hoping for the best. It will all depend on the time you're arriving and the best will of the people who assist you.

Reactions: aurelero