30/08/2019
Passport Req..
10/10/2020
VISA ISSUED...
20/08/2020
LANDED..........
17/01/2021
Hey everyone!

So, I took the risk and now as a PR, I’d like to share my experience of travelling during covid restrictions.
I am not from any of the exemptions groups. No relatives in Canada. No job. No work permit. No sponsor. No compassionate reasons. No Authorisation Letter.

Nationality: Brazil.
Country of Residence: Ireland.
Office: London
Stream: PNP-Outland

17/02/2018 - Creation of Saskatchewan Nominee Program (SNIP) profile (75/100 points)
27/02/2019 - ITA Saskatchewan - Skilled Workers: Occupation in Demand - 4151 - Psychologists
08/08/2019 - Saskatchewan Nomination (1013 points - EE)
12/08/2019 - ITA Express Entry
30/08/2019 - Medical Exam done (in Ireland)
24/09/2019 - Biometrics done [VAC Dublin]
07/04/2020 - Medical Pass
13/08/2020 - Passport Request [Etobicoke forwarding back to London Office]
20/08/2020 - Confirmation of Permanent Residence (COPR)
26/08/2020 - Passport received at home with PRV
CoPR and Medical valid until April/2021.

I raised around 7 webforms saying I was ready to travel, with quarantine plan, etc, but only got generic responses.
Mailing PHAC they replied “By way of this email, the Public Health Agency of Canada (PHAC) is of the opinion that you would likely be permitted entry to Canada, and would not likely be exempt from quarantine, based on the assessment below.”
CBSA replied: All decisions with regards to entry into Canada and exemptions to mandatory quarantine ultimately rest with the CBSA Border Services Officer (BSO) at the port of entry. Note that there are several factors that BSOs must take into account before determining whether a person is admissible into Canada, and each person will be dealt with in person on a case-by-case basis. The burden of proof rests with the foreign national seeking entry to Canada to satisfy the BSO they are admissible in accordance with the Immigration and Refugee Protection Act and Regulations. In general a person must have in their possession appropriate travel documents and be personally admissible into Canada and support the validity of their activity.”

Attaching these two e-mails (no official letters, no signature or official paper) I created a folder with all my documents, Covid test, Airbnb, ArriveCAN, etc.

There’s only one direct flight AirCanada 843 (Dublin-Toronto). Latter December I booked for 31/1, connecting to Saskatoon. On Thursday 14/01/21 my flight was cancelled. Calling the airline, I’ve decided to anticipate to fly on 17/01/21.

At the airport in Dublin: during check-in at the counter (15min) the staff requested my passport, ArriveCAN and Covid test. She saw the PRV on my passport (issued on 20/08/20), asked me to low down the mask, matched info with ArriveCan, printed my boarding passes and said: have a safe trip! (no extra questions at all).

Security, normal.

At gate, I scanned my boarding pass, they checked my temperature and I got into the plane. (again, no further questions).
Toronto first check questions:
-Where did you come from?
-Have you been to the UK, or South America of the last 14 days?
-Do you have a negative covid test?
-ArriveCAN
-Place for quarantine? Who will deliver food?
-What’s the purpose of your trip? (I showed the COPR)
-Welcome to Canada! (10min)
(no questions about exemption, date of CoPR, Authorisation Letter, etc).

She guided me to the second check with Immigration:
-The officer requested Passport, CoPR, covid test, bank statement (mine was printed online from online banking), ArriveCAN, Address for PR card. She asked me to confirm and sign the info from my CoPR, signed my CoPR and passport, collected my fingerprints, gave me papers regarding SIN, Canadian documents, PR card. Wished me a good flight to Saskatoon and welcomed me as a new PR in Canada. (20min).

Toronto Airport was very quiet and the whole process was pretty quick. I didn’t have any hassle, no trouble, no extra questions, no intentions to deny entry from anyone. I had a folder with 40+ documents (from police certificates, professional licenses, EE profile, etc), and I only have to show: 1 - Passport, 2 - CoPR, 3 - PRV, 4 - ArriveCAN, 5 - Quarantine Plan, 6 - Proof of funds, 7 - Covid test. That was all.

Good luck you all!

Last edited:

Dell2018

Star Member
Jan 17, 2018
Hey everyone!

So, I took the risk and now as a PR, I’d like to share my experience of travelling during covid restrictions.
I am not from any of the exemptions groups. No relatives in Canada. No job. No work permit. No sponsor. No compassionate reasons. No Authorisation Letter.

17/02/2018 - Creation of Saskatchewan Nominee Program (SNIP) profile (75/100 points)
27/02/2019 - ITA Saskatchewan - Skilled Workers: Occupation in Demand - 4151 - Psychologists
26/06/2020 - Passport received at home with PRV

I raised around 7 webforms saying I was ready to travel, with quarantine plan, etc, but only got generic responses.
Mailing PHAC they replied “By way of this email, the Public Health Agency of Canada (PHAC) is of the opinion that you would likely be permitted entry to Canada, and would not likely be exempt from quarantine, based on the assessment below.”
CBSA replied: All decisions with regards to entry into Canada and exemptions to mandatory quarantine ultimately rest with the CBSA Border Services Officer (BSO) at the port of entry. Note that there are several factors that BSOs must take into account before determining whether a person is admissible into Canada, and each person will be dealt with in person on a case-by-case basis. The burden of proof rests with the foreign national seeking entry to Canada to satisfy the BSO they are admissible in accordance with the Immigration and Refugee Protection Act and Regulations. In general a person must have in their possession appropriate travel documents and be personally admissible into Canada and support the validity of their activity.”

Attaching these two e-mails (no official letters, no signature or official paper) I created a folder with all my documents, Covid test, Airbnb, ArriveCAN, etc.

There’s only one direct flight AirCanada 843 (Dublin-Toronto). Latter December I booked for 31/1, connecting to Saskatoon. On Thursday 14/01/21 my flight was cancelled. Calling the airline, I’ve decided to anticipate to fly on 17/01/21.

At the airport in Dublin: during check-in at the counter (15min) the staff requested my passport, ArriveCAN and Covid test. She saw the PRV on my passport (issued on 20/02/20), asked me to low down the mask, matched info with ArriveCan, printed my boarding passes and said: have a safe trip! (no extra questions at all).

Security, normal.

At gate, I scanned my boarding pass, they checked my temperature and I got into the plane. (again, no further questions).
-ArriveCAN

-The officer requested Passport, CoPR, covid test, bank statement (mine was printed online from online banking), ArriveCAN, Address for PR card. She asked me to confirm and sign the info from my CoPR, signed my CoPR and passport, collected my fingerprints, gave me papers regarding SIN, Canadian documents, PR card. Wished me a good flight to Saskatoon and welcomed me as a new PR in Canada. (20min).

Toronto Airport was very quiet and the whole process was pretty quick. I didn’t have any hassle, no trouble, no extra questions, no intentions to deny entry from anyone. I had a folder with 40+ documents (from police certificates, professional licenses, EE profile, etc), and I only have to show: 1 - Passport, 2 - CoPR, 3 - PRV, 4 - ArriveCAN, 5 - Quarantine Plan, 6 - Proof of funds, 7 - Covid test. That was all.

Good luck you all!
Hi, Congratulations!
Thanks for sharing your detailed experience. Is there a typo in your post or your visa was approved before March 18, 2020 (20 Feb 2020 is mentioned in your post)?

ama2020

Jul 19, 2020
Saskatoon
Category........
PNP
Visa Office......
London
NOC Code......
Pre-Assessed..
Yes
App. Filed.......
17/02/2019
Doc's Request.
27/02/2019
Nomination.....
08/08/2019
AOR Received.
04/09/2019
Med's Done....
30/08/2019
Passport Req..
10/10/2020
VISA ISSUED...
20/08/2020
LANDED..........
17/01/2021
Hi, Congratulations!
Thanks for sharing your detailed experience. Is there a typo in your post or your visa was approved before March 18, 2020 (20 Feb 2020 is mentioned in your post)?
Typo. Just corrected. Tks!

tiffanysami

Sep 30, 2019
Congratulations!! That's quite risky!

The flight from our city to Toronto takes over 20hrs currently...Had thought about this but afraid of sent back by the border.

Nit Nit

Jan 5, 2021
wow. Thanks for sharing your story. Many of us find ourselves in this exact position. The lack of clarity is such a pain in the ***

By any chance, did you have others at the airport in same position as you? I mean with a valid CoPR but no AL?

yvv

Feb 6, 2019
Category........
PNP
Visa Office......
Sydney,NS
NOC Code......
App. Filed.......
June 2019
Nomination.....
August 2019
AOR Received.
02 10 2019
Med's Done....
22 10 2019
Hey everyone!

At the airport in Dublin: during check-in at the counter (15min) the staff requested my passport, ArriveCAN and Covid test. She saw the PRV on my passport (issued on 20/08/20), asked me to low down the mask, matched info with ArriveCan, printed my boarding passes and said: have a safe trip! (no extra questions at all).

Security, normal.

-ArriveCAN

Good luck you all!
Fantastic! Very brave!
Congratulations to you!

ama2020

Jul 19, 2020
Saskatoon
Category........
PNP
Visa Office......
London
NOC Code......
Pre-Assessed..
Yes
App. Filed.......
17/02/2019
Doc's Request.
27/02/2019
Nomination.....
08/08/2019
AOR Received.
04/09/2019
Med's Done....
30/08/2019
Passport Req..
10/10/2020
VISA ISSUED...
20/08/2020
LANDED..........
17/01/2021
wow. Thanks for sharing your story. Many of us find ourselves in this exact position. The lack of clarity is such a pain in the ***

By any chance, did you have others at the airport in same position as you? I mean with a valid CoPR but no AL?
I adopted the approach “don't ask, don’t tell”. I didn’t talk to anyone, and kept distance of people who were with bunches of papers on hand (probably PR like me) and only handled the documents that the officers requested. I didn’t try to explain why my CoPRwas from august/2020 or why I was traveling not being exempted.

Third day of quarantine now and everything is great!

ama2020

Jul 19, 2020
Saskatoon
Category........
PNP
Visa Office......
London
NOC Code......
Pre-Assessed..
Yes
App. Filed.......
17/02/2019
Doc's Request.
27/02/2019
Nomination.....
08/08/2019
AOR Received.
04/09/2019
Med's Done....
30/08/2019
Passport Req..
10/10/2020
VISA ISSUED...
20/08/2020
LANDED..........
17/01/2021
Also,
A few people asked me about which documents I read that made me take the risk… They are all on the Government website, free access to all. Procedures and guidelines that must be follow by the officers. I hope these files can answer some of the questions, as it happened with me.

Good luck!

Covid 19 - program delivery
COVID-19 – Program delivery instructions

Travel restriction, program delivery:
Travel restriction measures

ENF 1 Inadmissibility:
Inadmissibility (PDF, 618.98 KB)

ENF 3 Admissibility
Admissibility Hearings and Detention Review Proceedings (PDF, 626.22 KB)

ENF 4 Port of Entry Examinations
Port of Entry Examinations (PDF, 1.53 MB)

ENF 10 Removals
Removals (PDF, 869.84 KB)

All the operational instructions and guidelines can be found here:

Operational instructions and guidelines

Salman Hasan

Star Member
Nov 15, 2019
Also,
A few people asked me about which documents I read that made me take the risk… They are all on the Government website, free access to all. Procedures and guidelines that must be follow by the officers. I hope these files can answer some of the questions, as it happened with me.

Good luck!

ENF 1 Inadmissibility:

ENF 3 Admissibility

ENF 10 Removals

thanks for sharing.......... very interesting

yvv

Feb 6, 2019
Category........
PNP
Visa Office......
Sydney,NS
NOC Code......
App. Filed.......
June 2019
Nomination.....
August 2019
AOR Received.
02 10 2019
Med's Done....
22 10 2019
Also,

Good luck!

ENF 1 Inadmissibility:

ENF 3 Admissibility

ENF 10 Removals

from the Travel Restriction Measures link

"
Facilitating their entry for the purposes of landing contributes to meeting immediate family reunification and labour market needs and reduces the accumulation of an inventory of approved permanent residents who will need to travel to Canada once restrictions are lifted.

These foreign nationals can self-identify to airlines at the point of boarding that they are exempt under this provision by presenting

• a permanent resident visa (nationals from visa-required countries only), or
  • a COPR document (all foreign nationals)
"

ssp2020

Star Member
Sep 26, 2020
Hey everyone!

Security, normal.

-ArriveCAN

Good luck you all!
Congratulations on making it safely to Canada.

Could you please let me know on what you choose for below questions on ArriveCan?
  • are you travel exempt and the type of Exempt travel?
  • the purpose of your travel (such as exempt travel, work, study, family reunification or compassionate reasons) ?

Thanks.

Last edited:

helmsdeep

May 21, 2020
from the Travel Restriction Measures link

"
Facilitating their entry for the purposes of landing contributes to meeting immediate family reunification and labour market needs and reduces the accumulation of an inventory of approved permanent residents who will need to travel to Canada once restrictions are lifted.

These foreign nationals can self-identify to airlines at the point of boarding that they are exempt under this provision by presenting

"
That section you quoting is misleading without the paragraph above it. It is clearly talking about people with COPRs before March 18th

Permanent resident visa holders
The Orders exempt foreign nationals who have been approved for permanent residence and who were eligible to travel to Canada to become landed permanent residents on or before March 18, 2020, the date on which the first interim order came into force.

Many of these foreign nationals had already made arrangements to settle in Canada before the travel restrictions were put in place. Facilitating their entry for the purposes of landing contributes to meeting immediate family reunification and labour market needs and reduces the accumulation of an inventory of approved permanent residents who will need to travel to Canada once restrictions are lifted.

Reactions: nathan2020EE