+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

COPR affected by travel restrictions due to Coronavirus

Riddle4045

Nov 27, 2017
Hi Everyone,

My COPR was issued on 01/23 and expires 04/07, WA being center of the Coronavirus spread I am afraid i will not be able to travel to the border to validate my COPR by then.
I have tried contacting IRCC twice but there's been no response yet.

I am wondering if any of you are in the same situation? Do you have any guidance as to what I should do next?
Appreciate any inputs here.

Thanks!

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
Hi Everyone,

My COPR was issued on 01/23 and expires 04/07, WA being center of the Coronavirus spread I am afraid i will not be able to travel to the border to validate my COPR by then.
I have tried contacting IRCC twice but there's been no response yet.

I am wondering if any of you are in the same situation? Do you have any guidance as to what I should do next?
Appreciate any inputs here.

Thanks!
As there are no travel restrictions between the US and Canada, there is nothing preventing you from landing.

amv11112222

Feb 25, 2019
Hi VIP Members,

I have a question. I live in Dominican Republic and have visitor visa until 2024. The visa for my daughter was approved, as well. The visa of her is valid until December 2020 because of the expiration of her passport. We were planning to visit Toronto and Montreal during Spring Break but sounds like due to the Coronavirus, it is not convenient at all to travel. So, I am considering to go by July, during her summer vacation and in order to wait the virus spread stop but I heard from a friend that my daughter only is available to travel to Canada and return to our country no later than June 2020 because Canada Government does not allow people with visas with only 6 months or less of validity. Is that true? Thank you in advance for your help. If it is true, do I have any options to request an exception to the Canada Government to explain the reason I will not travel before?

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
Hi VIP Members,

I have a question. I live in Dominican Republic and have visitor visa until 2024. The visa for my daughter was approved, as well. The visa of her is valid until December 2020 because of the expiration of her passport. We were planning to visit Toronto and Montreal during Spring Break but sounds like due to the Coronavirus, it is not convenient at all to travel. So, I am considering to go by July, during her summer vacation and in order to wait the virus spread stop but I heard from a friend that my daughter only is available to travel to Canada and return to our country no later than June 2020 because Canada Government does not allow people with visas with only 6 months or less of validity. Is that true? Thank you in advance for your help. If it is true, do I have any options to request an exception to the Canada Government to explain the reason I will not travel before?
Your friend is an idiot. TRVs are valid until they expire.

dhanashree29

Star Member
Apr 30, 2016
I have travelled from US to canada on friday and returned on sunday without any issues. However today news is flashing that Borders are only open for citizens and PR card holders. Not for someone who is yet to do first landing and complete formalities.

Reactions: pretty_nurse

satbsi

Star Member
Dec 4, 2014
Category........
Visa Office......
New Delhi / Warsraw WVO
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
01-05-2014
Nomination.....
14-02-2015
AOR Received.
26-03-2015
File Transfer...
21-05-2015
Med's Request
27-05-2015
Med's Done....
30-05-2015, Uploaded 03-06-2015, TLU 10-06-2015
Passport Req..
Not Yet
VISA ISSUED...
Not Yet
LANDED..........
Not Yet
Hello All, Can approved PRs having COPR can do first time landing in canada after this travel ban?

icanh

Oct 1, 2019
Hope this helps: https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/corporate/publications-manuals/operational-bulletins-manuals/service-delivery/coronavirus/permanent-residence.html#Approved_permanent_residence

Approved permanent residence applications (COPR and PRV)
Permanent residence applicants who are in possession of a confirmation of permanent residence (COPR) and permanent resident visa (PRV) and inform us, by submitting a web form to IRCC, that they are unable to travel within the validity of their documentation should be processed as follows:

• Valid COPR and PRV: In an effort to reduce the number of cancelled COPRs and PRVs, a note should be placed in the file explaining that the applicant is unable to travel, and the file should be brought forward to the expiration date of the COPR and PRV. If the applicant informs IRCC that they can travel prior to the COPR and PRV expiration, they are encouraged to use their existing COPR and PRV to land.
  • Expired COPR and PRV: If the applicant informs IRCC via the web form that they were unable to travel after the expiration of their COPR and PRV, or if they were unable to travel prior to expiration, officers are to re-open the application, and it should be brought forward for review in 90 days.
Re-opened applications
Approved applications can be re-opened in GCMS by cancelling the COPR and PRV and removing the final decision.

When to review a re-opened application
Once the applicant informs IRCC via the web form that they are able to travel, a re-opened application may be re-approved provided that the applicant and their family members, whether accompanying or not, have valid immigration medical examinations, criminal and security checks and passports.

If the 60-day waiting period elapses and the applicant has not informed us that they are able to travel, a note should be placed in the application, and it should be brought forward for review for an additional 60 days.

Greasewheel

Star Member
Apr 25, 2017
If you read the statement at the bottom of this link you will probably not be abale to board the plane given until you have landed you are not a PR

https://www.canada.ca/en/transport-canada/news/2020/03/new-measures-for-covid-19-response.html

If you read the statement at the bottom of this link you will probably not be abale to board the plane given until you have landed you are not a PR

https://www.canada.ca/en/transport-canada/news/2020/03/new-measures-for-covid-19-response.html
Then what is JT meaning when he says exceptions will be made for "immediate family of a Canadian citizen"? Is my wife who is holding a COPR document not my immediate family?
Scroll down the page a bit for his video and forward to about 1:15.

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/coronavirus-outbreak-flights-canadians-abroad-return-1.5498961

Last edited:

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
Reactions: Partho

Hrishi2704

Jul 30, 2018
Mine is going to expire this October. What are the plans that you are going to do? Do you think they will open the border by the coming months, maybe around July? I keep on thinking about this.
Similar situation as you. My CoPR is expiring in September this year. They should be opening up the border in the next couple of months. I mean if we think about it, blocking international borders for a very long time has some far reaching implications. Of course, provided COVID19 gets controlled to a certain extent.

I was planning my move next month from the US. Guess, that's not happening.

Where would you be traveling from?