+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Converting Visitor visa to Supervisa

Sukhpal Brar

Sep 2, 2014
Hello,

My parents are currently on 10 years multiple entry visitor visa in Canada. They had visited here for 3 times so far.

They extended their visitor visa (one time only) on their last visit to Canada from 14 October 2017 to 13 April 2018, another 6 months after their initial 6 months stay. But due to some reasons they returned back to India (home country) on 20th of January 2018 (before expiration of extended stay).

Now they are coming back to Canada on 25th of April 2018 i.e. after expiration of their extended visitor visa (which would expired on 13th April 2018).

My queries:
1. Will there be any issues for them by officers at Port of Entry that why they went back to India before expiration of extended visitor visa ?? And why they are coming back just after 12 days of the extended date i..e 13th April 2018 ??

2. Will they still get 6 month entry ? Or it can be reduced to few months by the officer ?

3. I also want to apply for their SUPER VISA this time once they are here in Canada (before expiration of 6 months stay). They already have their medical done in January 2018 from Canada only.

Question : Will they get another 2 years stay after their 6 months stay is over or 1.5 year as they already would have spent 6 months as visitors on visitor visa ?

Please clear my doubts.

Thanks in advance.

bellaluna

VIP Member
May 23, 2014
You can only apply for a super visa outside of Canada. There is no super visa processing inside Canada. There is no such thing as "converting" a visitor visa to a super visa, it is an entirely new application and process.

Since they left Canada after that extension granted, that extension is voided. They will be assessed on a new visit when they enter Canada. None of us can predict what the CBSA officer will determine given their travel history to Canada. They can get the full 6 months, or the officer can grant them a shorter stay. Either way is certainly possible.

Last edited:
Reactions: sinancan

Bryanna

VIP Member
Sep 8, 2014
My queries:
1. Will there be any issues for them by officers at Port of Entry that why they went back to India before expiration of extended visitor visa ?? And why they are coming back just after 12 days of the extended date i..e 13th April 2018 ??
Their previous visitor status and the extension lapsed when they left. They will be assessed for a new entry when they return in April.

2. Will they still get 6 month entry ? Or it can be reduced to few months by the officer ?
It would depend on the officer they meet at the POE.

3. I also want to apply for their SUPER VISA this time once they are here in Canada (before expiration of 6 months stay). They already have their medical done in January 2018 from Canada only.
Super visas must be applied from outside Canada. They can only apply to extend their stay on their TRV entries (like they did last year).

Question : Will they get another 2 years stay after their 6 months stay is over or 1.5 year as they already would have spent 6 months as visitors on visitor visa ?
If it seems like they are not short-term visitors then their applications to extend their stay could be limited or even refused

Sukhpal Brar

Sep 2, 2014
You can only apply for a super visa outside of Canada. There is no super visa processing inside Canada. There is no such thing as "converting" a visitor visa to a super visa, it is an entirely new application and process.

Thanks for your quick reply Bellaluna. It was helpful. But when I checked CIC website for CHECK APPLICATION PROCESSING TIME for SUPERVISA, it asks for the COUNTRY from where you are applying from. And CANADA is one of the option.

Ques. 1 - Doesn't that mean that you can apply for SUPERVISA from INSIDE CANADA ?
The time frame it says is 80 days if you file application from within Canada.

Ques 2- What if I apply from India and due to some reasons their SUPERVISA application get refused. Then their current MULTIPLE ENTRY VISITOR VISA will still be active/existing ?? Would they be able to come to canada like before as visitors ?

Thanks.

Regards,
Sukhpal Brar.

bellaluna

VIP Member
May 23, 2014
Thanks for your quick reply Bellaluna. It was helpful. But when I checked CIC website for CHECK APPLICATION PROCESSING TIME for SUPERVISA, it asks for the COUNTRY from where you are applying from. And CANADA is one of the option.
Ques. 1 - Doesn't that mean that you can apply for SUPERVISA from INSIDE CANADA ?

Ques 2- What if I apply from India and due to some reasons their SUPERVISA application get refused. Then their current MULTIPLE ENTRY VISITOR VISA will still be active/existing ?? Would they be able to come to canada like before as visitors ?
Question 1: This seems to be a recent turn of events then. My guess is that it is forwarded to the visa offices in NY or LA: 80 days is also the processing time from the United States.

But OK, even if you do apply for the super visa within Canada and it is granted, it doesn't mean your parent gets to stay for two years. A visa is a document for entry into Canada. Their status/authorization of stay is determined at the port of entry upon presentation of the visa.

Try completing the online questionnaire with Canada as the country of residence and see if you can generate a super visa application from within Canada.

Question 2: I have no idea for sure, but I do not think it will be cancelled.

Last edited:

Bryanna

VIP Member
Sep 8, 2014
But when I checked CIC website for CHECK APPLICATION PROCESSING TIME for SUPERVISA, it asks for the COUNTRY from where you are applying from. And CANADA is one of the option.

No, it is not possible. Do use the Come to Canada tool and select Canada as the Country of Residence. You will get the form to extend the stay on the current TRV entry, not the super visa application form.

Someone recently asked this question on the IRCC Twitter account. IRCC replied that the TRV would remain valid if the super visa application is refused.

However, someone else emailed a visa office only to be informed that the decision on the TRV validity would be taken after the super visa application is received.

I recommend you email the relevant visa office + post the question on the IRCC Twitter account

Sukhpal Brar

Sep 2, 2014
No, it is not possible. Do use the Come to Canada tool and select Canada as the Country of Residence. You will get the form to extend the stay on the current TRV entry, not the super visa application form.

Someone recently asked this question on the IRCC Twitter account. IRCC replied that the TRV would remain valid if the super visa application is refused.

However, someone else emailed a visa office only to be informed that the decision on the TRV validity would be taken after the super visa application is received.

I recommend you email the relevant visa office + post the question on the IRCC Twitter account

varinder kaur

Star Member
Feb 13, 2013
Thanks Bryanna. I appreciate your quick reply. Your suggestion was very helpful.
Hii Sukhpal
I hope u got ur parents Super Visa successfully. Can u plz explain how did u do I mean inside or outside of Canada? And what was visa response when they applied super visa, did they get both visas or visitor visa was cancelled?
Thanks

mesai

Feb 22, 2021

Hello guys, I need your help. May I know if you still proceeded with applying the SUPER VISA within Canada because when answering the questionnaire tool, it led you there. I am in the same boat right now.

My mother is currently on implied status because an Extension of Stay has been submitted. But yes, after that...while I am checking more options, I reached that phase where in it is allowing me to submit a SUPER VISA application, however yes the people here are right, the form inside is another form like an Extension of Stay. So my mom and I are writing a letter right now explaining what led us to apply for this Super Visa within Canada, and explaining that we are hoping that a new Visa (one that they attached in the passport) will be granted while she is still here in Canada.

It does not matter for me if it will be active by going home first and coming back ,submitting herself to the Boarder Officer. What I am just afraid to happen is that when she is back in the Philippines...and we submit our application through there is that it's going to be very long processing times due to the pandemic. (Either regular Visitor Visa or Super Visa). And she is alone there.

We have not submitted it yet....

I'll wait for your responses first. Thank you very much in advance.

mesai

Feb 22, 2021
I was able to gather some info on experiences after I posted here. My question has been answered, given I'll be approved... It will be a long extension of stay. But not a stamped or new visa attached in the passport.

Thanks for your time guys.

Petisa

Sep 24, 2021
Hello there, didn't you say that you were going to apply within Canada for a SuperVisa? did you do that? my mom is under a visitor's visa and I want her to stay longer. Can you comment on that?