+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Converting Canadian Citizenshi​p to a Natural one

JalalTabbal

Mar 11, 2014
Hi, I am a Naturalized Canadian and I passed my Canadian Citizenship to my foreign-born son last year. I know that my son, in this case, will not be able to pass his Canadian Citizenship to his children. My question is: Can I convert his Canadian Citizenship to a Natural one so that he can pass his Canadian citizenship to his children? If yes; how. So many thanks, Amar.

on-hold

Champion Member
Feb 6, 2010
This is the most interesting question I have read here in many a long year. I'm sure the answer is no . . .

Gogia

Feb 19, 2013
Toronto
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Hi Mr jalal....u confusing urself...let me make it simple....

Kids born in.canada....by birth canadian citizen..they r first generation citizen..clear...

Person who got immigration through naturalization process..is naturalized citizen...

Means......he is not by birth canadian citizen...

Hopefully it will clear ur concern....keep multiply the situation either way...to.understand...if this if that...answer is same..

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
JalalTabbal said:
Hi, I am a Naturalized Canadian and I passed my Canadian Citizenship to my foreign-born son last year. I know that my son, in this case, will not be able to pass his Canadian Citizenship to his children. My question is: Can I convert his Canadian Citizenship to a Natural one so that he can pass his Canadian citizenship to his children?
No - you can't.

txboyscout

Jun 9, 2009
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
LANDED..........
03-08-2011
JalalTabbal said:
Hi, I am a Naturalized Canadian and I passed my Canadian Citizenship to my foreign-born son last year. I know that my son, in this case, will not be able to pass his Canadian Citizenship to his children. My question is: Can I convert his Canadian Citizenship to a Natural one so that he can pass his Canadian citizenship to his children? If yes; how. So many thanks, Amar.
The most interesting topic I have read on this board in a long time :) The answer is no, not unless he can figure out how to come to Canada and be born again :)

CanV

Champion Member
Apr 30, 2012
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Your son may have to have his babies born in Canada to become Canadians.

Please let us all know if you come across an application that allows you to convert your birthplace

Leon

VIP Member
Jun 13, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
There is a way to do this. You son would have to be a dual citizen and you would have to wait until he turns 18. He would have to renounce his Canadian citizenship and you could then sponsor him for PR. You may have to be living in Canada in order to sponsor him or otherwise show plans to move to Canada when he gets his PR. As a PR, he would have to live in Canada for 3 years (or 4 if they change it) and then he could apply for citizenship. He would then be a naturalized Canadian as opposed to Canadian by heritage and could pass citizenship to his children regardless of where they are born.

However, I don't think this is something you need to worry about. If you are currently not living in Canada and your son chooses not to live in Canada and marries a woman who is not Canadian, why do their children need citizenship? If on the other hand, your son chooses to live in Canada and either marries a Canadian woman or sponsors his wife for PR, then their children will be born in Canada and they will be Canadian. If he marries a Canadian woman or he sponsors his wife for PR and she later applies for and gets citizenship, their children can get citizenship from her even if they are born outside Canada. Even if that is not the case, say he lives outside Canada his whole life and marries a non-Canadian woman and continues to live outside Canada and their children are born and are not Canadian, should he later decide he wants to live in Canada, he can sponsor his whole family, wife and all his kids for PR and they can all move to Canada and he can apply for his children citizenship right away.

newtone

Champion Member
Nov 10, 2010
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
You can have another child and make sure he is born in Canada. This way he can pass on his citizenship to his children. Unfortunately you cannot do the same for your existing child. He will be the natural one, you cannot change that. The world is not so simple.

Rob_TO

VIP Member
Nov 7, 2012
Toronto
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
Seoul, Korea
App. Filed.......
13-07-2012
AOR Received.
18-08-2012
File Transfer...
21-08-2012
Med's Done....
Sent with App
Passport Req..
N/R - Exempt
VISA ISSUED...
30-10-2012
LANDED..........
16-11-2012
Leon said:
As a PR, he would have to live in Canada for 3 years (or 4 if they change it) and then he could apply for citizenship. He would then be a naturalized Canadian as opposed to Canadian by heritage and could pass citizenship to his children regardless of where they are born.

And who knows what the rules will be in 20+ years time. Based on how citizenship processing times keep increasing, there could be rules for 5+ years living as PR before applying for citizen, and another 5+ years waiting time by then!

Leon

VIP Member
Jun 13, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Rob_TO said:
And who knows what the rules will be in 20+ years time. Based on how citizenship processing times keep increasing, there could be rules for 5+ years living as PR before applying for citizen, and another 5+ years waiting time by then!
This is possible. It might also happen that immigration changes the age of dependent child to under 18. Then there would be no chance of sponsoring him for PR once he is old enough to renounce his citizenship.