+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Converting a Volunteer WP to an Open WP.

DMyrie

Star Member
May 8, 2019
Does anyone have any experience with converting a volunteer work permit to an open work permit?
I have a volunteer work permit and my wife got an open work permit as a result. She was able to find employment that qualified her with 1 year work experience under the CEC class. She subsequently submitted an application for PR in September of 2018. We have passed medicals and criminality but Security is yet to begin. The application also states that eligibility is being reviewed. Our WPs will expire in February of 2020. Being proactive. I would like to know if it makes sense at this time to apply for the open work permit which I qualify for, as I would like to bring an income into my household, or should I wait?

jes_ON

VIP Member
Jun 22, 2009
Category........
Visa Office......
New York
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
06-May-2010
AOR Received.
13-Aug-2010
File Transfer...
01-Mar-2011
Passport Req..
30-Jun-2011
VISA ISSUED...
12-Jul-2011 (received 25-Jul-2011)
LANDED..........
03-Sep-2011
Does anyone have any experience with converting a volunteer work permit to an open work permit?
I have a volunteer work permit and my wife got an open work permit as a result. She was able to find employment that qualified her with 1 year work experience under the CEC class. She subsequently submitted an application for PR in September of 2018. We have passed medicals and criminality but Security is yet to begin. The application also states that eligibility is being reviewed. Our WPs will expire in February of 2020. Being proactive. I would like to know if it makes sense at this time to apply for the open work permit which I qualify for, as I would like to bring an income into my household, or should I wait?
Based on what you have written, you are not currently eligible for an open work permit, because your spouse is currently on an open work permit.

Your wife would have to apply for a Bridging Open Work Permit before you could be eligible for a SOWP. If her current work permit does not expire until Feburary 2020, she will have to wait until October-November to apply for the BOWP (within 4 months of the expiry date). you can submit your SOWP application at the same time as she applies for the BOWP. Do not forget to attach the AOR for the PR application.

Of course it is quite likely that you will learn the fate of your PR application before then.

DMyrie

Star Member
May 8, 2019
Based on what you have written, you are not currently eligible for an open work permit, because your spouse is currently on an open work permit.

Your wife would have to apply for a Bridging Open Work Permit before you could be eligible for a SOWP. If her current work permit does not expire until Feburary 2020, she will have to wait until October-November to apply for the BOWP (within 4 months of the expiry date). you can submit your SOWP application at the same time as she applies for the BOWP. Do not forget to attach the AOR for the PR application.

Of course it is quite likely that you will learn the fate of your PR application before then.
Thank you for the information you have provided. This definitely brings clarity.