+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Convert work permit to open work permit

Leon

VIP Member
Jun 13, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Regarding applying for a new work permit at the border, this is what immigration says:

http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/work/apply-who-eligible.asp#enter said:
Eligibility to apply as you enter Canada

You can apply for a work permit as you enter Canada, but only if you meet the following requirements:

you are temporary resident visa exempt and
your job does not need a labour market opinion from HRSDC (some exceptions apply) or
you hold a labour market opinion from HRSDC.
I have heard of one person who was not visa exempt and had a multiple entry visa who did go to the border and was granted a work permit but that was probably a mistake as the rules are clear. Still, it could be worth a try if the border is not too far away. If they don't grant it at the border, you can still mail it in and wait 66 days.

job_seeker

VIP Member
Jul 27, 2009
I think it's worth a try. If the OP gets denied at the border with all supporting documents at hand (valid TRV/WP and/or VR, job offer, LMO and Contract), then he would still be able to send application to Vegreville. I did it once but it seems ages ago and a lot might have changed. I had valid multiple entry TRV as a worker, not from visa exempt country, new employer, new contract, new LMO, did a U-turn at the border and less than 30 minutes later had a new WP on my hand. A bit of a scary experience dealing with immigration but the officers were very nice.

Leon said:
Regarding applying for a new work permit at the border, this is what immigration says:

I have heard of one person who was not visa exempt and had a multiple entry visa who did go to the border and was granted a work permit but that was probably a mistake as the rules are clear. Still, it could be worth a try if the border is not too far away. If they don't grant it at the border, you can still mail it in and wait 66 days.

Iwanttoimmigrate

Star Member
Jul 10, 2011
Category........
Visa Office......
CPP-O
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
29-07-2013
AOR Received.
30-09-2013
Med's Request
28-03-2014
Med's Done....
31-03-2014
Interview........
waived
Passport Req..
06-05-2014
VISA ISSUED...
15-05-2014
LANDED..........
17-05-2014
job_seeker said:
I think it's worth a try. If the OP gets denied at the border with all supporting documents at hand (valid TRV/WP and/or VR, job offer, LMO and Contract), then he would still be able to send application to Vegreville. I did it once but it seems ages ago and a lot might have changed. I had valid multiple entry TRV as a worker, not from visa exempt country, new employer, new contract, new LMO, did a U-turn at the border and less than 30 minutes later had a new WP on my hand. A bit of a scary experience dealing with immigration but the officers were very nice.
Thank you Job_Seeker and Leon for your directions.

So what do you guys suggest pessimistically, I meant without any risks of border security services not allowing me to get into Canada.

Regards.

sabret00the

Star Member
Jun 25, 2014
Calgary
Category........
PNP
Visa Office......
CPC: Sydney, Nova Scotia
NOC Code......
Not relevant
App. Filed.......
12-Sep-2014
Doc's Request.
N/A
Nomination.....
25-Nov-2014
AOR Received.
06-Jul-2015
IELTS Request
No
File Transfer...
N/A
Med's Request
31-Aug-2015
Med's Done....
23-Jan-2015 (TRV Meds have not yet expired)
Interview........
N/A
Passport Req..
21-Sep-2015
VISA ISSUED...
16-Sep-2015
LANDED..........
Dec 2015
My wife was laid off after completing 3 months of work by her employer without giving any reason with 2 weeks pay. She is a NSNP Skilled Worker with CWP (obtained on the basis of Temporary Letter of Support from NSOI) + TRV. She has applied PR from within Canada as a Provincial Nominee.

Is it possible to convert her CWP to OWP as none of the employers are willing to pay the $230 Employers Compliance Fee to CIC + Submit NSNP Form 200 to issue a new CWP for her. New CWP itself will take around 2-3 months.

Any advise is appreciated.

Aswer

Jan 10, 2019
I have a open work permit that is valid for 8 months. I am currently working in a restaurant. (type C job) How can I can apply for new work permit ?

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
I have a open work permit that is valid for 8 months. I am currently working in a restaurant. (type C job) How can I can apply for new work permit ?
Generally speaking your employer would need to obtain an approved LMIA so that you can apply for a closed work permit. On what basis did you obtain the open work permit?

Aswer

Jan 10, 2019
Thanks. I got this open work permit as accompanying spouse. My spouse has a job specific WP (both of use WPs are going to expire in another 8 months). I got a permanent full time job offer from my employee on my open work permit. But I am thinking how I get a close work permit to my employment. I have heard people already work for an Quebec employee no nee do get LMIA. Is it correct? Without LMIA, with my full time job offer, can I apply for work permit?

shiva1362

Jul 25, 2019
hello
I am open work permit that expire in 2020 ,now I want to apply for two years certificate in George Brown college , is it legal?
Also I'm 36 years old with two bachelor degree from my own country , how much that is account in my chance of Visa?
My third question is about the person who withdraw his intention in one province in Canada after landing with close work permit .
If he get penalty from that province , is it possible to apply for another work permit such as open work permit,express entry or....
With best regards

Aswinkumar

Apr 15, 2020
The benefit of a closed work permit after loosing the job is that you don't have to leave the country. There is no way to convert your closed work permit to open work permit unless you marry a canadian and apply for open work permit through sponsorship (e.g.). Depending on your location and type of job in Canada, your employer may have to first file for LMO which takes 4-8 weeks and then apply for work permit which takes another 77 days (calendar days). If your employer can wait for this much time, then you can start your job after getting the new permit. Regarding the LMO, i read a lawyer's note that CIC may process it faster if you tell them that you have lost your job and you are in search of a new job however you must call CIC and confirm it with them.

Hi,
Is it possible that while i am working in Canada on employer specified work permit and my spouse is a international student, so that i can also apply SOWP till my spouse duration of stay in Canada.

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Hi,
Is it possible that while i am working in Canada on employer specified work permit and my spouse is a international student, so that i can also apply SOWP till my spouse duration of stay in Canada.
Yes, you can apply for a SOWP provided your spouse is attending a DLI full time.

nikki88

May 30, 2021
I am currently on closed work permit and I was looking for some answers in cic.ca where it mentions that I can apply for an open work permit in order for me to be able to change jobs. My employer has been processing a lot of lay offs recently and I am afraid that one of theses days, I might be laid off too and right now I'd like to understand if I can change my status from Closed to Open work permit.

Naturgrl

VIP Member
Apr 5, 2020
I am currently on closed work permit and I was looking for some answers in cic.ca where it mentions that I can apply for an open work permit in order for me to be able to change jobs. My employer has been processing a lot of lay offs recently and I am afraid that one of theses days, I might be laid off too and right now I'd like to understand if I can change my status from Closed to Open work permit.
You would need to find an employer with LMIA to apply for another closed work permit. You cannot apply for open work permit unless under certain circumstances (spouse is PR, have ITA and applied for PR). The list is in the link.

https://ircc.canada.ca/english/helpcentre/answer.asp?qnum=177&top=17