waived
Passport Req..
06-05-2014
VISA ISSUED...
15-05-2014
LANDED..........
17-05-2014
Hi All,

I'm here in Canada on a work permit since 6 months and last week the contract got suddenly over becoz our customer has closed down its operations in Canada. My parent company is based in US and my work permit is sponsored by them.

Now i would like to know

1. How long can i stay in Canada till we get another customer?
2. How can i convert my work permit to open work permit?

Please suggest me at earliest.

Thanks in advance.

PMM

VIP Member
Jun 30, 2005
Hi

Iwanttoimmigrate said:
Hi All,

I'm here in Canada on a work permit since 6 months and last week the contract got suddenly over becoz our customer has closed down its operations in Canada. My parent company is based in US and my work permit is sponsored by them.

Now i would like to know

1. You can remain as a visitor until the end of your work permit. But you can't work for another employer without a new work permit.
2. You can't.

Thanks in advance.

GLana

Sep 12, 2011
Iwanttoimmigrate said:
Hi All,

Now i would like to know

Thanks in advance.
Hi,

I have only number 1: You can stay until your work permit expires, even if you are not working.
You also can apply for Employment Insurance to get some money. This might help you keep up until you find another job.

About question 2, if you dont get any quick answer here, you can also call Imigration Canada and ask them 1 888 242 2100

Iwanttoimmigrate

Star Member
Jul 10, 2011
Category........
Visa Office......
CPP-O
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
29-07-2013
AOR Received.
30-09-2013
Med's Request
28-03-2014
Med's Done....
31-03-2014
Interview........
waived
Passport Req..
06-05-2014
VISA ISSUED...
15-05-2014
LANDED..........
17-05-2014
Thank you PMM and GLana.

Iwanttoimmigrate

Star Member
Jul 10, 2011
Category........
Visa Office......
CPP-O
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
29-07-2013
AOR Received.
30-09-2013
Med's Request
28-03-2014
Med's Done....
31-03-2014
Interview........
waived
Passport Req..
06-05-2014
VISA ISSUED...
15-05-2014
LANDED..........
17-05-2014
GLana said:
Hi,

I have only number 1: You can stay until your work permit expires, even if you are not working.
You also can apply for Employment Insurance to get some money. This might help you keep up until you find another job.

About question 2, if you dont get any quick answer here, you can also call Imigration Canada and ask them 1 888 242 2100
Hi PMM and GLana,

Thanks for your earlier answers.

I want to understand that how much time it would take to amend my work permit to include new customer since im presently bound to work for a single customer as mentioned on my work permit document. I'm talking to few prospect customers here who are willing to get on board for a short term contractual work.

I did find some answers online which says "the processing time for a work permit change of conditions application is 121 days (paper-format application) and 77 days (online application)."

Are above mentioned days are working days or including all days? Also if it takes so long how can i work for the prospect immediately since he wont be willing for so long?

Please reply at your earliest.

Regards,
Rajesh S

Kismat_Konnection

Oct 6, 2011
Iwanttoimmigrate said:
Hi PMM and GLana,

Thanks for your earlier answers.

I want to understand that how much time it would take to amend my work permit to include new customer since im presently bound to work for a single customer as mentioned on my work permit document. I'm talking to few prospect customers here who are willing to get on board for a short term contractual work.

I did find some answers online which says "the processing time for a work permit change of conditions application is 121 days (paper-format application) and 77 days (online application)."

Are above mentioned days are working days or including all days? Also if it takes so long how can i work for the prospect immediately since he wont be willing for so long?

Please reply at your earliest.

Regards,
Rajesh S
The benefit of a closed work permit after loosing the job is that you don't have to leave the country. There is no way to convert your closed work permit to open work permit unless you marry a canadian and apply for open work permit through sponsorship (e.g.). Depending on your location and type of job in Canada, your employer may have to first file for LMO which takes 4-8 weeks and then apply for work permit which takes another 77 days (calendar days). If your employer can wait for this much time, then you can start your job after getting the new permit. Regarding the LMO, i read a lawyer's note that CIC may process it faster if you tell them that you have lost your job and you are in search of a new job however you must call CIC and confirm it with them.

Iwanttoimmigrate

Star Member
Jul 10, 2011
Category........
Visa Office......
CPP-O
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
29-07-2013
AOR Received.
30-09-2013
Med's Request
28-03-2014
Med's Done....
31-03-2014
Interview........
waived
Passport Req..
06-05-2014
VISA ISSUED...
15-05-2014
LANDED..........
17-05-2014
Kismat_Konnection said:
The benefit of a closed work permit after loosing the job is that you don't have to leave the country. There is no way to convert your closed work permit to open work permit unless you marry a canadian and apply for open work permit through sponsorship (e.g.). Depending on your location and type of job in Canada, your employer may have to first file for LMO which takes 4-8 weeks and then apply for work permit which takes another 77 days (calendar days). If your employer can wait for this much time, then you can start your job after getting the new permit. Regarding the LMO, i read a lawyer's note that CIC may process it faster if you tell them that you have lost your job and you are in search of a new job however you must call CIC and confirm it with them.
Thank you Kismat_Konnection!!!

I have few more questions though.

1. Can i apply for a EI if I loose my job? Yes I did complete 6 Months of full time work (approx 960 hours till now).

2. Whats your thought on hrsdc.gc.ca/eng/workplaceskills/foreign_workers/itbc.shtml? In this case since LMO is implied, how long will it take if I apply for a new work permit with new employer? I see a employer in BC is interested me to get me on board today and how long will it take to complete the process.

Appreciate your responses!!!

Regards,

Leon

VIP Member
Jun 13, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Iwanttoimmigrate said:
1. Can i apply for a EI if I loose my job? Yes I did complete 6 Months of full time work (approx 960 hours till now).

2. Whats your thought on hrsdc.gc.ca/eng/workplaceskills/foreign_workers/itbc.shtml? In this case since LMO is implied, how long will it take if I apply for a new work permit with new employer? I see a employer in BC is interested me to get me on board today and how long will it take to complete the process.
1. You can try it but temporary workers are sometimes refused based on needing a work permit and not being able to take any job that comes along.

2. Looking at http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/information/times/temp.asp for work permit, new employer, paper application, you would have 66 days to wait but if you are visa exempt, you can get a new work permit at the border, just go to the US and come back and apply as you arrive. You need $150 for that, your job offer and proof that your job is LMO exempt. Once you get a new work permit, you can not work for the old employer any more.

Iwanttoimmigrate

Star Member
Jul 10, 2011
Category........
Visa Office......
CPP-O
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
29-07-2013
AOR Received.
30-09-2013
Med's Request
28-03-2014
Med's Done....
31-03-2014
Interview........
waived
Passport Req..
06-05-2014
VISA ISSUED...
15-05-2014
LANDED..........
17-05-2014
Leon said:
1. You can try it but temporary workers are sometimes refused based on needing a work permit and not being able to take any job that comes along.

2. Looking at cic.gc.ca/english/information/times/temp.asp for work permit, new employer, paper application, you would have 66 days to wait but if you are visa exempt, you can get a new work permit at the border, just go to the US and come back and apply as you arrive. You need $150 for that, your job offer and proof that your job is LMO exempt. Once you get a new work permit, you can not work for the old employer any more.
Thank you for the quick reply Leon.

Just wanted some more clarity on point 2. So do you mean that if I apply for a work permit within Canada, it will probably take longer time (66 days) than at the port of entry (on arrival).

Also, I'm here with my wife (dependent/visitor visa) , what process should we follow for her?

Regards

Leon

VIP Member
Jun 13, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Iwanttoimmigrate said:
Thank you for the quick reply Leon.

Just wanted some more clarity on point 2. So do you mean that if I apply for a work permit within Canada, it will probably take longer time (66 days) than at the port of entry (on arrival).

Also, I'm here with my wife (dependent/visitor visa) , what process should we follow for her?

Regards
Two questions. Are you visa exempt? Is your wife visa exempt?

If you are both visa exempt, you can drive to the border with your job offer letter and other proof that all rules were followed along with your passports of course and your 2 x $150 and apply for your work permit and her open spousal work permit and get them instantly.

If you are visa exempt but your wife is not, you can apply for yours at the border but your wife would have to mail in or apply online for hers.

If you are not visa exempt, you have to send by mail or apply online.

Iwanttoimmigrate

Star Member
Jul 10, 2011
Category........
Visa Office......
CPP-O
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
29-07-2013
AOR Received.
30-09-2013
Med's Request
28-03-2014
Med's Done....
31-03-2014
Interview........
waived
Passport Req..
06-05-2014
VISA ISSUED...
15-05-2014
LANDED..........
17-05-2014
Leon said:
Two questions. Are you visa exempt? Is your wife visa exempt?

If you are both visa exempt, you can drive to the border with your job offer letter and other proof that all rules were followed along with your passports of course and your 2 x $150 and apply for your work permit and her open spousal work permit and get them instantly.

If you are visa exempt but your wife is not, you can apply for yours at the border but your wife would have to mail in or apply online for hers.

If you are not visa exempt, you have to send by mail or apply online.
Pardon, I dont understood whats a "VISA exemption status". The link which i was referring before I asked above question was hrsdc.gc.ca/eng/workplaceskills/foreign_workers/itbc.shtml. Since it talks about implied LMO in BC.

Take care.

Leon

VIP Member
Jun 13, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Do you need a visa to travel to Canada? Then you are not visa exempt.

The link you posted is correct. There used to be an LMO exemption for a few IT professions and as they discontinued it, BC asked to keep it for a while longer so if you get a job offer in that category, you will not need an LMO. You can also find it on the CIC website here: http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/work/special-tech.asp but they are a little behind and have not updated that it has been extended until the end of the year.

Iwanttoimmigrate

Star Member
Jul 10, 2011
Category........
Visa Office......
CPP-O
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
29-07-2013
AOR Received.
30-09-2013
Med's Request
28-03-2014
Med's Done....
31-03-2014
Interview........
waived
Passport Req..
06-05-2014
VISA ISSUED...
15-05-2014
LANDED..........
17-05-2014
Leon said:
Do you need a visa to travel to Canada? Then you are not visa exempt.

The link you posted is correct. There used to be an LMO exemption for a few IT professions and as they discontinued it, BC asked to keep it for a while longer so if you get a job offer in that category, you will not need an LMO. You can also find it on the CIC website here: http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/work/special-tech.asp but they are a little behind and have not updated that it has been extended until the end of the year.
I already have a visa stamping (counterfoil) on my passport from govt of Canada and No. of entries as "Multiple" and Category as W-1 Worker.

Hope I have answered your question.

Leon

VIP Member
Jun 13, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Let me make it simple for you. If a person from your country who has never visited Canada and has no visa for Canada wants to come and visit you, would they have to apply for a visa at the embassy or no?

If they do not have to apply for a visa but can just come and visit you based on their passport, then you are visa exempt. If they need to go to the embassy and apply for a visit visa, then you are not.

Just because you already have a visa does not make you visa exempt. It makes you a non-visa-exempt person who has a visa.

You can see here: http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/visit/visas.asp#exemptions a list of visa exempt countries. You must be visa exempt to get a work permit at the border.