+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

CONVERT TOURIST VISA TO WORK VISA

lotus_abbey

Star Member
Apr 22, 2012
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
My friend is arriving in Canada on June with Tourist Visa, is it possible for him to work legally in Canada if he found an employer with positive LMO and further proceed with the processing of his work permit while under Tourist Visa. Any idea how is does this work, is it necessary for him to go back to his own country even if the work permit has been processed? Please help

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
He can't apply for a work permit from within Canada. The application has to be sent to the visa processing office for his home country. Given the passport has to be sent to this visa office too - it will likely be very difficult to apply from within Canada.

Pummelchen

Star Member
Jun 24, 2011
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Thats wrong. Of course you can apply for a work permit if you are inside Canada as a tourist. Go to CiC website, change of status. All documents can be submitted online. Once approved you get a updated Visitor Record which includes a section about your work permit. Thats all and simple to do.

T

torontonian999

Sorry, Pummelchen, but scylla is correct. He cannot apply for a work permit from inside Canada if he is in Canada on a visitor visa. Here is the confirmation from the CIC website:

www.cic.gc.ca/english/work/apply-who-eligible.asp#inside

Pummelchen said:
Thats wrong. Of course you can apply for a work permit if you are inside Canada as a tourist. Go to CiC website, change of status. All documents can be submitted online. Once approved you get a updated Visitor Record which includes a section about your work permit. Thats all and simple to do.

muffy1

Feb 21, 2012
He would have to drive back into the states and cross the border at a POE and they can flagpole the application- if he is already in Canada. Though I believe it depends on which POE. I know some of them will issue work permits on the spot but not all of them.

micanada

Star Member
Mar 9, 2012
Category........
Visa Office......
vegreville
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
nov 21 2011
Doc's Request.
feb 2012
AOR Received.
feb 7 2012
File Transfer...
Oct 9 2015
Med's Request
Feb 2015(dependant)
Med's Done....
nov 2011/ march 2014
Interview........
Oct 21 2015
Passport Req..
July 22 2014(dependant)
VISA ISSUED...
Dependant??
LANDED..........
oct 21 2015
i saw on cic site u can apply inside canada through online as long as your trv is valid and im just wonderin if youre in a work permit before and then u changed to visitors record, and want to changed again to work permit, are they going to approved the application for a work permit in canad application or i have to apply at poe?? thanks!

TRUONGAN

Nov 18, 2010
Category........
Visa Office......
Ottawa
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
CIO Received Oct 9 2012
AOR Received.
Nov 26 2012
Med's Request
Nov 29 2012
Med's Done....
December 8 2012
Interview........
In process Feb 12 2013
Passport Req..
March 27 2013
torontonian999 said:
Sorry, Pummelchen, but scylla is correct. He cannot apply for a work permit from inside Canada if he is in Canada on a visitor visa. Here is the confirmation from the CIC website:

www.cic.gc.ca/english/work/apply-who-eligible.asp#inside
According to the link you provided, one of the conditions is

You have a temporary resident permit that is valid for six months or more or

Which would qualify him to switch over his visitor status (Temporary resident permit) to Work Permit.

Regards,

T

torontonian999

Hi TRUONGAN,

He still cannot switch from Temporary Resident Visa to Work Permit. Temporary Resident Permit (TRP) is not the same thing as a Temporary Resident Visa (TRV). The TRP is given as an exception to those people who are inadmissible to Canada. See the link below:

www.cic.gc.ca/english/information/inadmissibility/permits.asp

TRUONGAN said:
According to the link you provided, one of the conditions is

You have a temporary resident permit that is valid for six months or more or

Which would qualify him to switch over his visitor status (Temporary resident permit) to Work Permit.

Regards,

vin98

Apr 24, 2012
Hi All..I have Similar question.. Need help here

I have valid work permit in Canada . Is it required for me to apply work permit to my wife in home country ? She has VISITOR with Category V1 Canada VISA.

farukSYED

Apr 7, 2012
Temporary Resident Visa (TRV)is what you need to enter Canada for Countries that aren't listed under Visa Exempt category. Once you enter Canada using the TRV, an immigration officer will then stamp on your passport a Temporary Resident Permit (TRP). It should contain information such as how long you can stay in Canada (if its less than six (6) months or most of the time it doesn't show the expiration which should mean 6 months (no more than that). Unless you apply for an extension before your TRP expires (30 days before).

So, to answer everyone's question: :'(YES YOU CAN APPLY TO CHANGE YOUR STATUS, but it depends on what situation you're at. consider things like finding a job, LMO processing etc.

Changing your status after coming to Canada as a visitor

When you arrive at the port of entry in Canada, a Canada Border Services Officer (BSO) will stamp your passport or travel document and record the date by which you must leave Canada. The BSO will also note any terms and conditions related to your visit. There may be times you wish to extend your visitor status or change the conditions of your visit.

If you wish to extend your status date, you should apply 30 days before your status expires in order to do any of the following:

extend your visitor, student or work status
change the type of permit you hold (for example, from a student to a work permit)
change a condition of your permit (for example, if you are studying and you want to change schools, or if you are working and your want to change jobs)

Detailed information on how to apply to extend your stay is available on CIC’s www(dot)cic(dot)gc(dot)ca/english/visit/extend-stay(dot)asp#extend

torontonian999 said:
Hi TRUONGAN,

He still cannot switch from Temporary Resident Visa to Work Permit. Temporary Resident Permit (TRP) is not the same thing as a Temporary Resident Visa (TRV). The TRP is given as an exception to those people who are inadmissible to Canada. See the link below:

realtwenty

Star Member
Sep 10, 2012
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
So Guys. I can change my status inside canada for a TRV to work permit if i will find a employer that have a LMO before my tourist visa will expired? I am right?thanks.

micanada

Star Member
Mar 9, 2012
Category........
Visa Office......
vegreville
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
nov 21 2011
Doc's Request.
feb 2012
AOR Received.
feb 7 2012
File Transfer...
Oct 9 2015
Med's Request
Feb 2015(dependant)
Med's Done....
nov 2011/ march 2014
Interview........
Oct 21 2015
Passport Req..
July 22 2014(dependant)
VISA ISSUED...
Dependant??
LANDED..........
oct 21 2015
realtwenty said:
So Guys. I can change my status inside canada for a TRV to work permit if i will find a employer that have a LMO before my tourist visa will expired? I am right?thanks.
yes u can but u have to apply outside canada

realtwenty

Star Member
Sep 10, 2012
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
micanada said:
yes u can but u have to apply outside canada
so you mean i need to go back to my home country ? But other's say that i can apply inside canada thru online

micanada

Star Member
Mar 9, 2012
Category........
Visa Office......
vegreville
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
nov 21 2011
Doc's Request.
feb 2012
AOR Received.
feb 7 2012
File Transfer...
Oct 9 2015
Med's Request
Feb 2015(dependant)
Med's Done....
nov 2011/ march 2014
Interview........
Oct 21 2015
Passport Req..
July 22 2014(dependant)
VISA ISSUED...
Dependant??
LANDED..........
oct 21 2015
realtwenty said:
so you mean i need to go back to my home country ? But other's say that i can apply inside canada thru online
u have to send it outside canada visa office seattle or buffalo but once they ask you for interview u have to show up, hope someonewill could help u and give u more details on how this things work, i was in a visitors permit and got refused when i applied online for a work permit cause i am not eligible and they told me i should have applied outside canada

realtwenty

Star Member
Sep 10, 2012
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Ow okay but there is a chance for me to give a w0rk permit when im in canada? I think there are s0me people get their w0rk permit eventh0ugh there inside canada. And they are Lucky ones. I hope i will be one of them.