+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Conversion of Indian license to BC license

Rocky3604

Jun 29, 2018
Hi All,

I had gone to ICBC to get my Indian license converted to British Columbia license since I had few years of experience driving in India( almost 10 years) since i didn't want to go through the complete process to get class 7 and then class 5. I was aware that my Indian license would be kept by the ICBC, but to my surprise when I went in for knowledge test, they said they wanted to check the authenticity of my license(non reciprocal license) and then only I can apply for knowledge test with this driving experience. So I submitted my license at their office and they gave me the acknowledgement.

Has anyone faced similar scenario? If so what was the outcome, how do these people verify the authenticity? I have been using this original license(paper type) while I was in India. I was told that if its found fraud(which is not) the license won't be returned to me, so that basically means am stranded without a license when I travel to India. Can someone help me with this issue.

subodhp

Jun 19, 2019
Toronto
Hi All,

I had gone to ICBC to get my Indian license converted to British Columbia license since I had few years of experience driving in India( almost 10 years) since i didn't want to go through the complete process to get class 7 and then class 5. I was aware that my Indian license would be kept by the ICBC, but to my surprise when I went in for knowledge test, they said they wanted to check the authenticity of my license(non reciprocal license) and then only I can apply for knowledge test with this driving experience. So I submitted my license at their office and they gave me the acknowledgement.

Has anyone faced similar scenario? If so what was the outcome, how do these people verify the authenticity? I have been using this original license(paper type) while I was in India. I was told that if its found fraud(which is not) the license won't be returned to me, so that basically means am stranded without a license when I travel to India. Can someone help me with this issue.
No experience with this but your options on what do are limited to only one : wait for them to accept your license and let you take knowledge test. Did they mention how long it will take for them to do so?

Hussainkhan2019

Jul 7, 2019
In either case ur license was supposed to be surrendered to icbc to get a BC driving license. Now if ur license is verified u will be allowed to apprear for class 5 road test after passing knowledge test. Otherwise u will be issued L license upon passing knowledge test and then u have to move along the GLP to get class 7 and then class 5 in 3 years

SonikaAhuja

Oct 27, 2018
I faced the same issue today, does anyone know what is the process to follow now or what happened next.
Thanks.

SonikaAhuja

Oct 27, 2018
Hi All,

Did you get any update aftet this as I faced the same issue.

frolic999

Nov 22, 2015
I faced the same experience. They told me it could take up to 30 days before they can get back to me about it.