+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Conversion from Spousal work permit to study permit for undertaking a full time Master's course

Jul 13, 2022
Hello everyone! I have recently moved to Toronto on a spousal open work permit. I have an experience of 7 years in Sales and marketing in India but have still not been able to find a job here. So I am considering going for a one-year master's program here in Ontario to gain some Canadian experience and improve my chances of securing a job. But since I am on an open work permit, I will not be eligible to study here. So would like to know if there could be any possibility of converting an open work permit to a study permit so that I can go for a full-time course. Would really appreciate any suggestion on this.

Naturgrl

VIP Member
Apr 5, 2020
Hello everyone! I have recently moved to Toronto on a spousal open work permit. I have an experience of 7 years in Sales and marketing in India but have still not been able to find a job here. So I am considering going for a one-year master's program here in Ontario to gain some Canadian experience and improve my chances of securing a job. But since I am on an open work permit, I will not be eligible to study here. So would like to know if there could be any possibility of converting an open work permit to a study permit so that I can go for a full-time course. Would really appreciate any suggestion on this.
You can’t covert a permit. You apply for a study permit. You show that it will advance your education and give new career opportunities in your home country to justify cost. You show you have the funds.

Jul 13, 2022
So my spouse visa is currently valid for 4 years and if I apply for a study permit, will my previous visa get cancelled and I will get a study permit for a year and then apply for PGWP? And thanks for your reply....

Naturgrl

VIP Member
Apr 5, 2020
So my spouse visa is currently valid for 4 years and if I apply for a study permit, will my previous visa get cancelled and I will get a study permit for a year and then apply for PGWP? And thanks for your reply....
What visa does your wife have? Your SOWP will not be valid. If study permit refused, it will not be cancelled.

Jul 13, 2022
My wife is on a study permit for 4 years and so I have also got a spousal open work permit of 4 years. I am just afraid that if my study permit is rejected, my current visa will also be affected. So if my current visa wont be affected, i can safely go ahead with application of study permit right??
And thanks for answering my query...

Naturgrl

VIP Member
Apr 5, 2020
My wife is on a study permit for 4 years and so I have also got a spousal open work permit of 4 years. I am just afraid that if my study permit is rejected, my current visa will also be affected. So if my current visa wont be affected, i can safely go ahead with application of study permit right??
And thanks for answering my query...
No issue. You can apply with no effect on SOWP.