+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

conventional refugee now Canadian citizen

Aug 27, 2016
I have a friend who got her Permanent residence thru refugee, she is now a canadian citizen,is it okay if she goes to visit her mum back home,for 2 weeks? she have never left canada since she arrived many years ago

your insight would be helpfull thanks

dpenabill

VIP Member
Apr 2, 2010
cece6346@gmail.com said:
I have a friend who got her Permanent residence thru refugee, she is now a canadian citizen,is it okay if she goes to visit her mum back home,for 2 weeks? she have never left canada since she arrived many years ago

your insight would be helpfull thanks
Once a former refugee is a Canadian citizen, he or she is entitled to a Canadian passport and can travel using that passport just like any other Canadian citizen. That is, while a refugee with PR status risks losing protected person status, and in turn PR status, by traveling to the home country, once such a person is a citizen that is no longer a risk.

In other words, as far as Canadian law and Canadian status are concerned, after becoming a Canadian citizen it is OK to travel to home country.

That said, obviously there could be many other things to take into consideration before undertaking such a trip. For example, I have no idea what impact there might be in the home country. Whether it is even safe to do so, for example. Whether the home country will recognize the person as a Canadian citizen for another example. Among other questions.

keesio

VIP Member
May 16, 2012
Toronto, Ontario
Category........
Visa Office......
CPP-O
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
09-01-2013
Doc's Request.
09-07-2013
AOR Received.
30-01-2013
File Transfer...
11-02-2013
Med's Done....
02-01-2013
Interview........
waived
Passport Req..
12-07-2013
VISA ISSUED...
15-08-2013
LANDED..........
14-10-2013
If she still has the citizenship of her home country, she should enter with her Canadian passport if possible. The Canadian government may have more ability to help her if something happens to her in her home country.