+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Convention Refugee - Permanent SIN & Study Permit

mehranjadoon

Sep 5, 2019
Hi everyone,

I have came to Canada through US border in Montreal in September 2018 and I have received my the decision in September 2019 that my claim has been accepted and I have been given a status of Convention Refugee.

I have submitted my PR application after the decision.

I have two questions:
  1. I have a valid work permit and a temporary SIN. Can I get the permanent SIN now or do I have to wait till I get my PR?
  2. I want to study. How can I apply for the study permit, I mean what is the procedure and requirements, (if I need one)?
Thanks in advance for your help.

Regards,

Mehran

xxffgg

Star Member
Aug 13, 2019
#1: yes, you have to become a PR to be able to have a permanent SIN..
#2: I have no idea if you need Study Permit after you've become Convention Refugee.. maybe someone else have an answer for this..

Reactions: mehranjadoon

mehranjadoon

Sep 5, 2019
#1: yes, you have to become a PR to be able to have a permanent SIN..
#2: I have no idea if you need Study Permit after you've become Convention Refugee.. maybe someone else have an answer for this..
Thanks for your prompt response.

Yeanie729

Aug 15, 2019
Hi everyone,

I have came to Canada through US border in Montreal in September 2018 and I have received my the decision in September 2019 that my claim has been accepted and I have been given a status of Convention Refugee.

I have submitted my PR application after the decision.

I have two questions:
  1. I have a valid work permit and a temporary SIN. Can I get the permanent SIN now or do I have to wait till I get my PR?
  2. I want to study. How can I apply for the study permit, I mean what is the procedure and requirements, (if I need one)?
Thanks in advance for your help.

Regards,

Mehran
You do not need a work permit after a refugee claim has been accepted. Convention Refugees and Protected person can go to school and pay domestic tuition

xxffgg

Star Member
Aug 13, 2019
You do not need a work permit after a refugee claim has been accepted. Convention Refugees and Protected person can go to school and pay domestic tuition
I asked for a WP when I was Refugee Claimant.. my claim was accepted.. do you mean that I don't need to re-apply for a WP once my current WP (the one they issued when I was a Claimant) expires?

Reactions: Yeanie729

Yeanie729

Aug 15, 2019
I asked for a WP when I was Refugee Claimant.. my claim was accepted.. do you mean that I don't need to re-apply for a WP once my current WP (the one they issued when I was a Claimant) expires?
I meant study permit sorry that I now for sure you do not need now that your claim has been accepted... not sure for work permit. Can you please share your timeline and what country you are from?