+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Convention Refugee and Study Permit

bubbags

Aug 21, 2022
Hi everyone, I am a convention refugee who already recieved his notice of decision from RPD. After that I applied for Seneca College and OSAP. All my documents approved by college and OSAP so I am waiting to enroll my classes.
My question is do I need to apply for a study permit as a convention refugee who already passed his hearing and got notice of decision? Because when I tried to apply study permit online, forms feels like for international student. And form doesnt let me put my passport expiry date which is already expired a year ago. It says I cant type expired passport date. I couldnt find any information online if I need study permit to enroll my classes. Do I need a study permit as a convention refugee to enroll my classes? If so, convention refugees has a differnt form or section to apply for a study permit?

Last edited:

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Hi everyone, I am a convention refugee who already recieved his notice of decision from RPD. After that I applied for Seneca College and OSAP. All my documents approved by college and OSAP so I am waiting to enroll my classes.
My question is do I need to apply for a study permit as a convention refugee who already passed his hearing and got notice of decision? Because when I tried to apply study permit online, forms feels like for international student. And form doesnt let me put my passport expiry date which is already expired a year ago. It says I cant type expired passport date. I couldnt find any information online if I need study permit to enroll my classes. Do I need a study permit as a convention refugee to enroll my classes? If so, convention refugees has a differnt form or section to apply for a study permit?
You need to speak to Seneca college about how they treat protected people. Will they charge them international fees? Will they require proof of a study permit? Without being a PR you are essentially still considered an international student and in many schools you still need to pay international fees.

Simba112

VIP Member
Mar 25, 2021
You need Study permit to enrol classes. There is Condition on your current WP that prohibit you from attending any education institution. Being a Conventional Refugee/Protected Status does not waive SP requirement if you need to attend school. Protected Status does not confer temporary status

Reactions: canuck78 and scylla

dzx

Star Member
Jun 21, 2022
You should apply and it’s for free, but I have never been asked to provide my study permit.

dzx

Star Member
Jun 21, 2022
You need to speak to Seneca college about how they treat protected people. Will they charge them international fees? Will they require proof of a study permit? Without being a PR you are essentially still considered an international student and in many schools you still need to pay international fees.
Protected persons are treated as domestic student in most if not all public-funded institutions WRT fees, as the provinces fund institutions when they are enrolled just like PRs and citizens.

Sean jones

Dec 7, 2020
Yes. You should apply for study permit and its mandatory. I applied 2 months ago and going to start school from September. Just use any random future date as passport expiry date and give them an explanation letter. That's it. Pretty easy. Good luck.

Reactions: John@1995

John@1995

Aug 25, 2022
Yes. You should apply for study permit and its mandatory. I applied 2 months ago and going to start school from September. Just use any random future date as passport expiry date and give them an explanation letter. That's it. Pretty easy. Good luck.
Hi Sean, just wanted to ask if you got any updates from IRCC. I also applied for the study permit two moths ago but no updates. :(

Norijal

Oct 20, 2021
It’s up to the college either they accept you or not .but I was in same situation like you .. I took admission and informed college that I have applied for study permit .when I ll get I ll provide u copy.. and they were ok with that

so take admission and then apply for study permit

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Protected persons are treated as domestic student in most if not all public-funded institutions WRT fees, as the provinces fund institutions when they are enrolled just like PRs and citizens.
There are colleges and universities that do still charge international fees which is why I suggested contacting Sececato see if they charge domestic or international fees if you are a protected person who has yet to receive PR. Not sure what you are tying to indicate with your reasoning. With protected people being PRs they still don’t have permanent status in Canada so they aren’t like other citizens or PRs.

RefugeeHelp1

May 23, 2019
Category........
Other
Since you applied to Senica I assume you have an account with them, you can contact the admin department by phone and have a conversation

1. Yes you will pay the Domestic fee
  2. Yes, you need a study permit.
International Tuition Fee Exemptions

Regarding your expired passport, I used a future date and explanation letter and that was not a problem

Protected persons studying in Canada
Pursuant to R215(1)(g), protected persons, within the meaning of A95(2), may apply for a study permit from within Canada. However, they must meet all the conditions required of study permit holders as identified in R216(1). The requirement to leave Canada at the end of the authorized stay is satisfied by virtue of R216(2).
Protected persons are exempt from the requirement to provide biometric information when applying in Canada for a study permit.

dzx

Star Member
Jun 21, 2022
that is correct , I think one of the biggest universities in Canada Mc'Gill charge everyone the same as the international students.
that’s for self-funded graduate programs, McGill has three tiers for other programs: Quebec residents, other exemptions (citizens, prs, refugees and people from French-speaking countries) and all other international students