+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

controlled/stable Epilepsy-any problem to my medical exam?

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
I have seen this thread from beginning,I need suggestions .I have blackout in June and second in August.My all reports are normal but my consultant kept me on antieplectic for a year after that I don't have any episode.should I mention my condition in medicals i got ITA on 13 november.need suggestions.
You don’t have an option. You must mention all your medications and any medical conditions.

wbenamara

Star Member
Dec 1, 2019
Hello all,

I am from China, recently facing the medical exam as spouse (EE- SKILLED WORKER), but considering I am an epileptic and IRCC has requirements for the medical examination. Therefore, I have some questions and would like to consult, hoping to get help and explanation.

I understand that the IRCC has relaxed the requirements for medical exam many times. However, for some patients with chronic diseases, especially applicants who may cause serious burden to Canada's public health care system, strict examination and evaluation will be conducted.

First of all, please allow me to introduce my illness.
  • YOB:1988;
  • Confirmed Chronic Disease: (Mild) Epilepsy, from my childhood;
  • Treatment: Single drug therapy;
  • Drug Information: Lamotrigine, GSK(GlaxoSmithKline);
  • Dosage: 150mg/day;
  • Last Seizure: 05/2013;
  • Current Situation: very stable. And always working in China.
Therefore, I think lamotrigine is a very suitable drug for me, and the single-drug treatment scheme has achieved remarkable results so far.

For the medical burden, it is mainly about Lamotrigine. The price of the drug in China is about 3500-4500 RMB/year (700-900 CAD/year), but the cost is 100% paid by government medical insurance.

In view of the fact that there is no clear official explanation, do you have any cases that can be referred to? I visited some forums and IRCC's website about 'Medical refusals and inadmissibility', and searched the keyword' Epilepsy', and found that there was no specific denial instructions for epilepsy.

I am very nervous and anxious now, and I have been struggling with whether to disclose my illness during the medical examination. But so far, I still prefer to answer ‘yes’ when asked if I have any neurological diseases. But what worries me more is that this ‘yes' will result in my family's PR application being rejected.
did they accept you ? I am worried about my husband too.because he has it too

wbenamara

Star Member
Dec 1, 2019
what happen to you??? did you got approved? ?? did they asked extra examination??? I just did my medical I have the same problem, I declared my illness but still I am too worried. can you please let me know what happen??? wish you well
what happened to you after medical exam? because my husband have the same illness

Calinda

Star Member
Nov 7, 2017
what happen to you??? did you got approved? ?? did they asked extra examination??? I just did my medical I have the same problem, I declared my illness but still I am too worried. can you please let me know what happen??? wish you well
Hello
I think you will do fine

I am already in Canada from December 2019, I think you will do fine dont worry, i know is stressful but they you will not refuse you.

Good luck and wish you good health

Reactions: wbenamara

john_u7923

Aug 10, 2020
Decision Made

they sent me an email asking to sent the passport

I am so happy

good luck to you too, they didn't ask any other medical examination
Thank you for sharing and wish you well. May I know if it is necessary to bring medical records or other documents related to the Epilepsy condition when going through the medical examination for visa application? Thanks in advance.

wbenamara

Star Member
Dec 1, 2019
Thank you for sharing and wish you well. May I know if it is necessary to bring medical records or other documents related to the Epilepsy condition when going through the medical examination for visa application? Thanks in advance.
yes u have to take it with u and tell them about it

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
It would be best if it is possible.

Vickysharma

Apr 6, 2019
Hi all,
Guys I have suffered epilepsy seizure in the year 2002 and thereafter in the year 2007. However, thereafter I am taking medicine i.e. eptoin 100mg 1 tablet per day. Fortunately, not suffered any other seizure after 2007 and now I am applying for student visa Canada. My medical is coming soon now my question is whether should I disclose above problem to the doctor or conceal the same. If I disclosed then is there any chance that my file get rejected due the problem.

I am bit stressed kindly help me out.

Thanks in anticipation

wbenamara

Star Member
Dec 1, 2019
Hi all,
Guys I have suffered epilepsy seizure in the year 2002 and thereafter in the year 2007. However, thereafter I am taking medicine i.e. eptoin 100mg 1 tablet per day. Fortunately, not suffered any other seizure after 2007 and now I am applying for student visa Canada. My medical is coming soon now my question is whether should I disclose above problem to the doctor or conceal the same. If I disclosed then is there any chance that my file get rejected due the problem.

Thanks in anticipation
My husband have epilipsy and they passed his exam fine.no problem

Canada2020eh

Champion Member
Aug 2, 2019
Hi all,

Thanks in anticipation
I don't think it will be an issue, it is not a threat to public health. Better to disclose it, if you don't it could come back to bite you in the future. Your health care insurance won't cover medication so plan that into your expenses.

Vickysharma

Apr 6, 2019
I don't think it will be an issue, it is not a threat to public health. Better to disclose it, if you don't it could come back to bite you in the future. Your health care insurance won't cover medication so plan that into your expenses.
I talk to my doctor last year he reduced my medication and in this year I had to visit him again in the month of march. But due to coronavirus I couldn't contact him and my medication hasn't stopped but now I have consulted my physician and probably now I'll be stopping my medicine before exam. So this fact need to tell during medical and what are the chances for rejection Or new hurdles arise.