+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Contradiction between CanadaVisa and CIC

Alia87

Feb 5, 2013
Hi,

I really hope one of you guys can help me. I intend to apply for the FSWP as soon as the program opens again (May 4th), but now I don't even know if I can do so.

CIC lists as basic requirements:
1. have a valid offer of arranged employment, OR
2. be an international student enrolled in a PhD program in Canada (or graduated from a Canadian PhD program within the past 12 months) and meet certain criteria.

However, CanadaVisa adds a third criteria:
3. Have at least one year of continuous full-time or equivalent paid work experience in the past 10 years;

So, could somebody tell me which one is right? It would be very much thanked.

hsp402

Dec 27, 2012
The first two listed by CIC are a part of MI (Ministreal Instructions) and the third one listed by Canadavisa is part of FSW. In summary you must have all three inorder to apply for FSW.
Please go through CIC websie thoroughly, after the basic elligibility requirement, thay have also stated minimum work experience required and selection factors. You must meet all.

Alia87

Feb 5, 2013
Thanks for the answer.

hsp402 said:
In summary you must have all three inorder to apply for FSW.
Please go through CIC websie thoroughly, after the basic elligibility requirement, thay have also stated minimum work experience required and selection factors. You must meet all.
I must havel all three???

hsp402 said:
I'm reading the FSW page in the CIC site. It mentions the points 1 and 2 as basic eligibility. For what I'm reading in that page, only those who fall under 1 or 2 can apply. But then again, that's not what CanadaVisa says, so I'm really confused :(

hsp402

Dec 27, 2012
You shouldnt be confused.
In CIC webpage they have clearly written that after basic elligibility criteria, you must also have minimum work experience followed by selection of factors.

Basic elligibility is the first condition that you must met and then if you meet those conditions you should also be assessed whether you have minimum work experience and selection of factors that is 67 points

hsp402

Dec 27, 2012
Iam copy pasting the whole page please read thorughly:

http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/immigrate/skilled/apply-who.asp

Skilled workers are people who are selected as permanent residents based on their ability to become economically established in Canada.

Federal skilled worker (FSW) applications are assessed for eligibility according to the criteria set out below.

Basic eligibility

For your application to be eligible for processing, you must:
•have a valid offer of arranged employment, OR
•be an international student enrolled in a PhD program in Canada (or graduated from a Canadian PhD program within the past 12 months) and meet certain criteria.

Note: As of July 1, 2012, Citizenship and Immigration Canada (CIC) has temporarily stopped accepting applications for the Federal Skilled Worker Program (FSWP). This temporary pause does not apply to those with a qualifying job offer or applying under the PhD stream. We will likely start accepting applications again when the revised FSWP selection criteria take effect. Proposed FSWP changes should come into force in 2013.

Work experience minimum requirements

If your application is eligible for processing, it will then be assessed against minimum requirements.
Your work experience must be:
•at least one year, continuous, and paid (full-time or the equivalent in part-time); AND
•a skill type 0 (managerial occupations) or skill level A (professional occupations) or B (technical occupations and skilled trades) on the Canadian National Occupational Classification (NOC) list.

(The NOC is a system for classifying jobs in Canada.)

Six selection factors

If you meet the above minimum requirements, your application will be processed according to the six selection factors in the skilled worker points grid*, which are:
•your education;
•your abilities in English and/or French, Canada’s two official languages;
•your work experience;
•your age;
•whether you have arranged employment in Canada; and
•your adaptability.

To see if you qualify, take the self-assessment test. This will help you know if you should apply.
(You can also read about the selection factors if you are not able to use the test.)

*Please note that CIC will be proposing regulatory changes to the FSWP selection criteria shortly. Details will be available by the end of 2012, with the new rules expected to take effect in early 2013.

Proof of funds

You must also show that you have enough money to support yourself and your dependants after you arrive in Canada. If you are not sure if you should apply as a skilled worker, try the Come to Canada Wizard to get an idea of whether your application would be eligible for processing.

Inadmissibility

Some people are inadmissible—they are not allowed to come to Canada. Several things can make you inadmissible, including involvement in criminal activity, in human rights violations or in organized crime

Alia87

Feb 5, 2013
Thanks hsp402. So I can only apply if I have a valid offer of arranged employment or if I'm a international student enrolled in a PhD program in Canada? In that case I can't apply.

My confusion comes from CanadaVisa FSW page, where it says:

In order to qualify for a Canada Immigration (Permanent Resident) Visa, Canadian Federal Skilled Worker (Professional) applicants must:

1. Have at least one year of continuous full-time or equivalent paid work experience in the past 10 years; or
2. Qualify for Arranged Employment with a Labour Market Opinion and a full-time, permanent job offer from a Canadian employer; or
3. Have completed a PhD in Canada, or have completed two years of study in Canada towards a PhD, in both cases at a recognized insitution;

So, according to CanadaVisa, I can apply. I don't know which one is right.

hsp402

Dec 27, 2012
CIC is correct.
If you cant meet the two elligibility criteria mentioned in CIC then wait till may 2013 and continuously check CIC website. In may 2013 cic will announce new instructions and then if you have work experience in those listed categories mentioned at that time by CIC then apply.
So keep checking cic website for updates

rebekah

Jan 30, 2013
if you have arranged employment or Phd from Canada univ then you can apply now. If you do not have this, then you wait until May 4 to apply under new rules and guidelines, and work experience is important.

mitali

VIP Member
Sep 7, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Check this link for more information:

http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/department/media/releases/2012/2012-12-19.asp

Mitali

Centaur

Star Member
Jun 26, 2012
These instructions, were / are in force until May 4th or next date of acceptance for new applications. How ever there is a possibility the criterion could / may change for new applications soon. So, dont worry about this right now. Since your plan is to apply for new FSW for next intake, await new instructions.

If you look at the date of notification of the instructions you mention, they are issued, post notification of CIC not opening a new MI program in 2012.

Hope this clarifies your questions.

Alia87 said:
Hi,

I really hope one of you guys can help me. I intend to apply for the FSWP as soon as the program opens again (May 4th), but now I don't even know if I can do so.

CIC lists as basic requirements:
1. have a valid offer of arranged employment, OR
2. be an international student enrolled in a PhD program in Canada (or graduated from a Canadian PhD program within the past 12 months) and meet certain criteria.

However, CanadaVisa adds a third criteria:
3. Have at least one year of continuous full-time or equivalent paid work experience in the past 10 years;

So, could somebody tell me which one is right? It would be very much thanked.

Alia87

Feb 5, 2013
Thanks guys, and thank Centaur for your message (I can't answer it directly).

So I'll wait and check CIC periodically for updates. I'm taking my IELTS in the March convocatory, so I'll continue gathering my documents to be ready for May 4th, since I want to be ready to apply the very same day it reopens.

Thanks

Centaur

Star Member
Jun 26, 2012
Hello, unless you complete minimally 10 posts, you will not be able to send/reply in private.

Get your paper work ready and wait. Depending on the size of application invites, some categories literally fill out in 5-6 days. Having your package ready to mail out, is key to save time and being accepted in a timely manner, subject to meeting all required criterion.

Good luck with your endeavors.

Best Regards

Alia87 said:
Thanks guys, and thank Centaur for your message (I can't answer it directly).

So I'll wait and check CIC periodically for updates. I'm taking my IELTS in the March convocatory, so I'll continue gathering my documents to be ready for May 4th, since I want to be ready to apply the very same day it reopens.

Thanks

Alia87

Feb 5, 2013
Centaur said:
Hello, unless you complete minimally 10 posts, you will not be able to send/reply in private.
Oh, good to know.

Yes I'll do as you say, get everything ready and wait. Thanks :)