+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Contracts?

Cindy2010

Mar 17, 2010
Hi there,
I am wondering if in my contract I am writing for a caregiver if I need to follow provincial labour laws in regards to termination of a job (specifically the amount of time to give notice). In Ontario, by the labour act, you need to provide 2 weeks written notice to the employee and vise -versa for the employee to the employer. Is this what I would put in the contract or is it different for caregivers? I would like to put that the caregiver needs to give me 60 days so I can secure other arrangements if I had to.Thanks!

job_seeker

VIP Member
Jul 27, 2009
Cindy2010 said:
Hi there,
I am wondering if in my contract I am writing for a caregiver if I need to follow provincial labour laws in regards to termination of a job (specifically the amount of time to give notice). In Ontario, by the labour act, you need to provide 2 weeks written notice to the employee and vise -versa for the employee to the employer. Is this what I would put in the contract or is it different for caregivers? I would like to put that the caregiver needs to give me 60 days so I can secure other arrangements if I had to.Thanks!
http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/work/caregiver/sample-contract.asp (New Sample Contract for Live in Caregivers)

Notice of resignation

Should he/she wish to terminate the present contract, the EMPLOYEE agrees to give the EMPLOYER written notice thereof at least _______ weeks in advance. The parties agree to abide by provincial/territorial labour/employment standards regarding written notice of resignation.

It is recommended that a copy of the relevant portions of provincial/territorial labour standards be attached as an appendix.

Notice of termination of employment

The EMPLOYER must give written notice before terminating the contract of the EMPLOYEE. This notice shall be given at least ______ weeks in advance. The parties agree to abide by provincial/territorial labour/employment standards regarding written notice of termination of employment.

It is recommended that a copy of the relevant portions of provincial/territorial labour standards be attached as an appendix.

Imagine yourself being in a situation where things in the household have become unbearable that you gave notice to terminate the employ of your caregiver. Will you still entrust your caregiver to care for your kids? Be left alone in your house? You'd just be prolonging your agony. Weigh the pros and cons of whatever stipulation you place in your contract. Guidelines had been placed to protect both you and your caregiver/employee.

omollo

Jun 10, 2009
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
I'm coming to Ontario as a caregiver this June - my contract states 4 weeks notice is needed - the Visa officer did not have an issue with it - therefore as long as the caregiver agrees to the terms and you both feel comfortable with it - but again if your working relaationship is good - the caregiver can stay until you get a replacement - I'm not on contract with my current employer in US- but delayed coming to canada until they find someone to replace me -
just think about it - and like Job-seeker said - the 60 day could turn into agony if things are not right

Cindy2010

Mar 17, 2010
Really? I called Service Canada today and they said provincial labour laws need to be followed ( in my case Ontario) ,which is 2 weeks notice on both sides??? Now I am confused :-(