+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Contempt of Court - "failure to appear" ?????

rgvinson777

Dec 12, 2007
Can anyone tell me if "Contempt of Court" 'Failure to appear' (other than contempt of court under 'common law' ) is considered as an offence regarding admissibility? Does it fall under "summary conviction?"

ThirstyDeer

Star Member
Feb 10, 2008
My instinctive thoughts are no, as it is not a criminal offense that would be considered more then a misdemeanor. You should probably still voluntarily divulge it though, as you don't want to take the chance that they take the stance that you were trying to hide it.

Perhaps someone else has more insight into this...

PMM

VIP Member
Jun 30, 2005
Hi

ThirstyDeer said:
My instinctive thoughts are no, as it is not a criminal offense that would be considered more then a misdemeanor. You should probably still voluntarily divulge it though, as you don't want to take the chance that they take the stance that you were trying to hide it.

Perhaps someone else has more insight into this...
Except the OP now has 2 charges, disturbing the peace and failure to appear, both summary offences
"If you were convicted of or committed a criminal offence outside Canada, you may be deemed to have been rehabilitated if 10 years have passed since you have completed the sentence imposed upon you or since you have committed the offence, if the offence is one that would, in Canada, be an indictable offence punishable by a maximum term of imprisonment of less than 10 years. If the offence is one that would, in Canada, be prosecuted summarily and if you were convicted of two or more such offences, that period is five years after the sentence imposed was served or to be served."

PMM