+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Contacting your local MP

julie143

Star Member
Aug 23, 2012
Question has anyone contacted there local MP regarding there immigration file?

How long did it take for the MP to get back to you? Was the information any help?

I'm planning on going to my local MP regarding my PNP file which is in Seattle. So, any help would be great.

ragluf

Champion Member
Feb 15, 2012
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
See this:

http://www.canadavisa.com/canada-immigration-discussion-board/spouse-family-class-timeline-manila-visa-office-philippines-t40680.0.html;msg1419671#msg1419671

there were a couple of people in the same thread which contacted their MP.

julie143

Star Member
Aug 23, 2012
Thanks. I found that the information people wrote in that link is in some other language which i don't understand.

ragluf

Champion Member
Feb 15, 2012
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
julie143 said:
Thanks. I found that the information people wrote in that link is in some other language which i don't understand.
well then I am reposting here my post for reference:

If you need a sample (from my personal experience writing an MP)... you can email them in this format. Be formal in the letter - note these are usually old school career politicians and are always proper in their niceties and protocol.
========
The Honourable <name of MP>
Member of Parliament, <riding/constituency>
<Constituency Office Address>

Note: address your letters to the MPs constituency office - as they have staff always there to provide assistance. Use registered mail if sending via snail mail and always sign letters if using snail mail.

<date>

Dear <MP>

I am writing as one of your constituents, since <date of residence>, and would like to seek your assistance.

<put your details here and what your requests are>

I seek your assistance in this matter, and am grateful for any that you and your office provides. Please feel free to contact me should you need more details and information.

Thank you very much and I look forward to receiving a response from you.

Yours Truly,

<Name>
<Address>
<Tel No.>

Here is an excerpt of the response I received - I have removed the personal details and addresses:
========
Dear <name>:

On behalf of <MP's name> I would like to thank you for contacting our office regarding your situation with Citizenship and Immigration Canada.

We would be happy to contact CIC on your behalf to inquire about how we may assist in resolving this situation. We will need a few details in order to submit a Ministerial Inquiry on your file. Can you please forward the following information:

File Number
Date of Birth
Country of birth
Citizenship
Date of Application
Processing office

I look forward to hearing from you.

Yours truly,

=======

Got a response within two days and then for the status of their inquiry they update me by calling me up.

You have to identify your riding/constituency and who is your MP then get his office address.

/hope this helps....

ragluf

Champion Member
Feb 15, 2012
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Here is another - reposting the information from raniloc's post:

There is no harm in trying... Besides its free.. You just email your MP and explain your situation...

Here is the link of the MP (contacts and email addresses)

http://www.parl.gc.ca/MembersOfParliament/MainMPsCompleteList.aspx

Paragraph 8(2)(g) of the Privacy Act permits a government institution to disclose personal
information "to a Member of Parliament for the purpose of assisting the individual to whom the
information relates in resolving a problem," without the written consent of the individual. Visa
offices are thus authorized to respond to Members of Parliament (MPs) about an individual's
application.

MPs are sitting members of the House of Commons or the Senate. This discretionary privilege is
not accorded to provincial members of legislative assemblies (MLAs), members of the National
Assembly (MNAs in Quebec), and members of provincial parliaments (MPPs).

MPs usually delegate constituency business to constituency assistants. These assistants request
personal information on the behalf of MPs. Officers may release personal information to
constituency assistants provided it is clear that MPs have designated them for this purpose. As
with written requests, e-mail requests for personal information on the letterhead of an MP or from
the MP's e-mail address, signed by constituency assistants, do not pose a problem. The written
reply will simply be addressed to the MP. International Region has given the e-mail addresses of
overseas missions to MPs to enable them to make inquiries by e-mail. The Ministerial Enquiries
Division has confirmed that visa offices can reply to the Parliament Hill e-mail address of the MPs
or to their official constituency e-mail address, but visa offices cannot send replies to the
home/private e-mail accounts of ministerial staff.

The standard for reply to MP enquiries is one week (or five working days). Where a substantive
reply within one week is not possible, the MP's office should be advised within one week of receipt
of the enquiry that a reply will be provided shortly and by a specific date. Such delays should be
exceptional and short. Ideally, MPs should receive a response within two (2) working days.
Program managers are responsible for either preparing replies to MPs personally, or closely and
regularly monitoring replies sent by their office for both quality and timeliness. Note that visa
offices must reply to all MP requests.

/Hope this helps...

mudabbir4

Nov 24, 2018
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
india
App. Filed.......
03-12-2018
AOR Received.
04-01-2019