+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Consultants or On Your Own?

joy4u

Jun 12, 2009
Hi Folks,
Here's my two cents:

To cut a long story short, MOST consultants ARE thugs. The internet is full of stories about how these SOBs fleece candidates and play with their time, money and career. I'm from India, and I know about "*****". I have heard about their filthy ways of dealings from a few friends of mine. I know a couple of self-proclaimed Canada-Australia-New Zealand visa gurus in Kolkata. I have personally interacted with them, and found them to be absolute cons. In fact, the lack of their basic knowledge is shocking....more shocking is to comprehend that THESE persons will actually try to procure visa for candidates that to in a PROFESSIONAL manner. I have come across numerous internet posts saying that candidates going through consultants are yet to know their own file number, despite their process being ON and in advanced or semi-advanced stages. Yes, these consultants have gone to that extent. I have also seen cases where consultants have charged candidates 3 or 4 times the official fee before handing them over documents for Medicals.

I'm sure there ARE honest consultants....but I am yet to get any of their names.

Now comes the million dollar (CAD of course) question..... Consultant or DIY ?
See, my common sense says, why waste time to find these rare breed of animals( honest consultants, I mean)??? And why waste money when it can be saved???? And this cannot be termed as cutting corners. www.cic.gc.ca is very very comprehensive. Spend time reading it inside out. You'd know EVERYTHING you need to know. Then go ahead accordingly and step by step. Never try to jump logical steps. In fact this is the way I myself (with 200% effort from my wife though) adopted and have been successful.

MOTTO: DO IT YOURSELF. Period.

qorax

VIP Member
Nov 21, 2009
Brampton, Canada
Category........
FSW
Visa Office......
London
LANDED..........
May-2010
Dear All,

For cases who have initial hiccups & haven't yet applied ! What's going to happen later ? This is exactly the reason why we MUST TAKE A CONSULTANT...

I obviously understand that hiring a consultant is NOT REALLY IMPORTANT. It is always a personal choice. Anyone can go the DIY way. But like Mark & many others suggest, DO WE HAVE THE TIME, PATIENCE & THE CONSTANT TINKLE ON OUR BRAIN WHETHER EVRYTHING WAS OK?

And if we r presently cought between these 2 thoughts...
1. Should I spent that extra money on a consultant?
2. Can I save that amount & take-it on myself?

...I'll recommend one to hire a consultant, as my personal opinion suggests that he/she will NOT be able to take this STRESS himself/herself. Now, don't get me wrong. I say that 'coz I'm like that too.

Let me try to tackle WHY 'I NEED' A CONSULTANT:
-Ppl like me, don't have the time to spend on organizing all relavent things, info, papers, supporting docs etc. for such basic jobs.
-We have business to run, larger issues to handle, need quality family time, which is generally lost under the quest of bread & butter.
-We can safely manage that additional consultant's dough.
-We can pay the consultant's fees & relax to our other tasks. He'll do all the needful.
-That's why consultants r there in every field. In my business, I'm a consultant too.
-Consultant's fees r NOT HEAVY. Imagie the time u have at ur hand thereafter, the lesser headache, lower heartburn thinking what to do next, whether my docs were submitted correctly, whether the file will be returned etc.
-Compared to that headache, a cosultant's fees becomes NIL. they are invaluable, priceless.
-Forget the deliberation, A consultant is a MUST in today's high profile business environment. Not just for the PR case.
-Morover, the US$ 3,500-4,000/- u pay to the consultant, shall actually be much lower than what u would pay otherwise for the medical bills that u'll be subjected to with all the stress involved along the process, if something comes up.

Finally, I will always take a consultant's opinion for such big decisions. U don't mess with Canadaian PR for such a small sum, do u? Off course, there r scores of ppl like me. Today many applicants hire a consultant. We don't go working blindly on IMPORTANT DECISIONS, moreso when it's a LIFE & DEATH MATTER. And there is no shame in that.

Thanks & deep regards,

Capt. Sutanu Dutta

www.blackcatsecure.com

Ps: For ppl who think consultants r bull ! I bet all of us r yet surfing the net, checking on this very forum, networking and trying to find a Manpower Consultant to get us a job in Canada. There r lots of us who r doing it right now, there r lots of us who will definitely do so post landing... and we thought we can do away with consultants !!!

joy4u

Jun 12, 2009
MarkCan said:
calgirl said:
MarkCan said:
If everybody could do everything on their own, there wouldn't be any need of consultants in any field - be it teaching, immigration, business, healthcare, corporate strategies etc. From a psychological standpoint, a good consultant gives you that "hope" that in case you screw up on your own somewhere (we all make mistakes from time to time), there is someone to rely on.

As far as "cost-cutting" is concerned, think of the big picture. If your goal is to get PR, use some expertise instead of cutting corners. Unless of course you are the DIY kind of person and have been doing things on your own all your life.

Mark
I think you missed some parameters here buddy.... average common sense, patience and time. Yes, I do most of my things on my own and I am proud of it. Confidence is one of my assets.
You are hundred percent correct when you say "we all make mistakes"; After all we are human beings and so are all the "professional consultants". I suggest you please run some research on cases goofed up by consultants....it will be hard (if not impossible) to get one without any such complain tagged (mind you, I never said they never succeed). Off course you will also find cases where people tried to do it on his/her own and goofed up...however, I would say they are very few in numbers.
You are again right where you mentioned most of the things need consulting. In my opinion www.cic.gc.ca is the best ever consultant when it comes to Visa for Canada; Again, it's my opinion and it might differ from others.
"cost cutting".... I DO believe in cost-cutting in a sensible way and I am NOT ASHAMED of it. After all it's my hard earned money and I would like to spend it where it's really required. In my opinion, I would better save it to settle in Canada.
There's is nothing personal...I just shared my opinion with Pooja as I believe discussion forums are made for it. In case I have hurt someone's sentiment, it was truly unintentional.
Again....my motto on this....If some Tom Dick Harry can do it on their own then I too can. It's proven and nothing can change it.
Regards
calgirl:

My remark was not really aimed at you, but just a general opinion. Like I mentioned in my comment, there is a psychological "thing" associated with consultants. Let me give you a very simple and common example. A kid goes to school where he/she gets to learn something. Yet, parents also employ the services of an external tutor. Why? Because they want to ensure that the kid does really get it right. There are kids who study on their own too, but they are far and few. With regards to consultants, my comment specifically mentioned "good consultants". Not just any consultant. How do you ensure you get a good consultant? By references or by researching.

Having said that, it is no rocket science to file for immigration on your own if you are the DIY kind of person. But a majority of people feel safe that they have at least someone to bank on, in case things take a turn for the worse. The DIY'ers of the world are far and few. If you are DIY'er, all the power to you. But it is no shame to seek external help if it helps avoid sleepless nights later.

Mark
Hi Mark,
Can't help pointing out a couple of features from your post:
1. Parents hire external tutors with the explicit aim of TEACHING their children....not CHEATING them.

2. Rocket science is read, exercised and practised by human beings only....like you and I .

joy4u.

pooja82

Oct 10, 2009
Category........
Visa Office......
CHC London
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-11-2009
Doc's Request.
05-02-2010
AOR Received.
27-04-2010
IELTS Request
Submitted
File Transfer...
In Process
Med's Request
22-06-2012 (received 2nd July 2012)
Med's Done....
10-07-2012 (received by CHC London 16th July 2012)
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
31st Oct 2012
VISA ISSUED...
10th Dec 2012
LANDED..........
Sometime in March, April :-)
hi calgirl, Mark & joy4u

my intention was not to start a fight between all of us.

i was jus confused and wanted an honest answer. i'm about to spend 3,000 - 4,000 USD and i wanted to know waht others (like me are doing). it's ok for you guys to have different opinion and do it differently. i don't disagree with all of you.

all i would say is that yes newspaper n net are ful of stories about these thugs but than did we did a research that how many people got VISA's thru them. they are not that useless as was described here. don't go to cheats. do your homework properly and than go to someone who is capable enough.

i would like to say that i agree with qorax as he has very clearly mentioned why we need consultants. calgirl is right in saying if we have time, money n patience. but if i can ask, do we have it at our disposal? i don't know about u guys but i don't have. if i had that with me, maybe i waould have gone DIY way but in this sterssful life i would be satisfied by paying someone for doing professinal service for me. will they be able to deliver or not, only time will tell.

lets not fight here. we are here to help each other (in turn help us) by sharing the information and giving our views. lets not go into thugs and kids.

certainly it is no rocket science but if you like to sleep peacefully in the night, i would recommend paying someone to do this for you.

all the best to all of you
reagrds

marie121479

Star Member
Nov 26, 2009
Vancouver
Category........
Visa Office......
Manila, Philippines
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
LANDED..........
July 26, 2010 (Winnipeg) moved to Vancouver (Sept 1, 2010)
hi pooja82 :) where do u live? have u passed your application form?

In my case, I applied on my own last june 2008, I read a lot at the cic website, I gathered my documents on my own, I passed all the requirements personally at the embassy or I used a courier. Fortunately after 15 months, I have the PR visa :)

calgirl

Nov 17, 2009
Toronto, Canada
Category........
Visa Office......
New Delhi
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
7-5-09
Doc's Request.
6-7-09
Med's Request
28-10-09
Med's Done....
3-11-09
Passport Req..
28-10-09
VISA ISSUED...
24-11-09
LANDED..........
7-5-2010
qorax said:
Dear All,

For cases who have initial hiccups & haven't yet applied ! What's going to happen later ? This is exactly the reason why we MUST TAKE A CONSULTANT...

I obviously understand that hiring a consultant is NOT REALLY IMPORTANT. It is always a personal choice. Anyone can go the DIY way. But like Mark & many others suggest, DO WE HAVE THE TIME, PATIENCE & THE CONSTANT TINKLE ON OUR BRAIN WHETHER EVRYTHING WAS OK?

And if we r presently cought between these 2 thoughts...
1. Should I spent that extra money on a consultant?
2. Can I save that amount & take-it on myself?

...I'll recommend one to hire a consultant, as my personal opinion suggests that he/she will NOT be able to take this STRESS himself/herself. Now, don't get me wrong. I say that 'coz I'm like that too.

Let me try to tackle WHY 'I NEED' A CONSULTANT:
-Ppl like me, don't have the time to spend on organizing all relavent things, info, papers, supporting docs etc. for such basic jobs.
-We have business to run, larger issues to handle, need quality family time, which is generally lost under the quest of bread & butter.
-We can safely manage that additional consultant's dough.
-We can pay the consultant's fees & relax to our other tasks. He'll do all the needful.
-That's why consultants r there in every field. In my business, I'm a consultant too.
-Consultant's fees r NOT HEAVY. Imagie the time u have at ur hand thereafter, the lesser headache, lower heartburn thinking what to do next, whether my docs were submitted correctly, whether the file will be returned etc.
-Compared to that headache, a cosultant's fees becomes NIL. they are invaluable, priceless.
-Forget the deliberation, A consultant is a MUST in today's high profile business environment. Not just for the PR case.
-Morover, the US$ 3,500-4,000/- u pay to the consultant, shall actually be much lower than what u would pay otherwise for the medical bills that u'll be subjected to with all the stress involved along the process, if something comes up.

Finally, I will always take a consultant's opinion for such big decisions. U don't mess with Canadaian PR for such a small sum, do u? Off course, there r scores of ppl like me. Today many applicants hire a consultant. We don't go working blindly on IMPORTANT DECISIONS, moreso when it's a LIFE & DEATH MATTER. And there is no shame in that.

Thanks & deep regards,

Capt. Sutanu Dutta

www.blackcatsecure.com

Ps: For ppl who think consultants r bull ! I bet all of us r yet surfing the net, checking on this very forum, networking and trying to find a Manpower Consultant to get us a job in Canada. There r lots of us who r doing it right now, there r lots of us who will definitely do so post landing... and we thought we can do away with consultants !!!
Dear Sutanu,

Nice to have a bong around. Amar naam Madhumita. No offence to anyone including you.
Good justifications for hiring a consultant. However I have some questions.
1) Is your consultant arranging everything for you including obtaining PCC and taking English language tests for you etc.? If yes, then please share the contact info with me.
2) I know you have business to run, have a family to take care of but do you think people who apply on their own doesn't have any of these obligations? For instance, I have a full time job, a team of 22 people to
manage at my work place, a family including two kids to take care of. My NOC is 0213.
3) People are not found in a very relaxing mood even after paying the consultant's fees, otherwise you wouldn't have visited this forum. Can you please explain why people come and ask questions in these forums even after paying consultant's fees? Why don't they just go back to those consultants with all their queries?
4) How do you know we get more headache and more heartburn just because we have applied on our own when you never tried it? Please explain as I might be missing something.
5) Did your consultant guarantee you that you will get the Visa whatever the situation is? If yes then how and why?
6) Do you think we, who applied without any help take decision about immigration less seriously and mess up? If yes then why do you think so?

This is for your information: We never get heartburn or headache thinking what to do next as we know the procedure well. So no question of extra medical fees.
This is what I believe: Offcourse Immigration to Canada or any other country is not a matter of joke so we must know in and out of that. People who wish to immigrate to Canada must check www.cic.gc.ca inside out as we are not kids and we must know what we are getting into. And that's where we found that steps are very straight forward and easy to follow.

qorax

VIP Member
Nov 21, 2009
Brampton, Canada
Category........
FSW
Visa Office......
London
LANDED..........
May-2010
Dear Modhumita,

Apnaar msgta peye khoob bhalo laglo. Aami jaantam je aapniyo Bangalee... aamra ageyo anek kotha barta korechhee, onno arekta threade. Besh aapon-aapon laglo du chaarte bangla kotha shune !!!

I guess, u had noticed that all over that post I referred all abt me... I referred as, 'what I need'... 'what I feel'... 'what I'll do'... et all. The issue here is NOT what all will do, it is what ppl like me do / did. It was never generalized. In fact, I began my post by stating that it was a personal choise, didn't I?

Said that, there r things (like u said PCC & IELTS) which we need to do ourselves. But, the bulk of the matter WAS HANDLED by my consultants. Oh yes, I only went for the IELTS (just a day out), got 8, having no clue of what it was then. The PCCs, I didn't. Just called CID & Consulate on phone; and sent my staff to process it-up. It is easier for me, 'coz my business is such, I'm online with them 24/7 (I'm a Criminal Investigator in this country). But, that won't be the case of others, I understand that. <Just stated this 'coz u wanted to know.

And again, Madhumita, u r smart... I'm not. I couldn't have done my apps by myself. God, so many papers to fill, so many things to coord, it is beyond me. Yes, I'm a consultant too (my field of work) and I appreciate the context of the the same... why they need us. Here, most of the possible things a outsourced; and every business relies on consultants on more stages than not.

Another point of yours, Why I'm on this forum? Ma'am, my job keeps me generally online as I've to put-in reports from time-to-time, Once, this month I logged into this site and one more... for replying one post. Thereon, everytime a query comes-up, while I'm online, I get the urge to reply. I think I'm addicted to such a wonderful forum. No regrets though. It's a lovely & lively place, moreover, I did make lots of friends (not just virtual, some real great ppl, with whom we r constantly meeting. See my Dubai Thread, u'll know).

End note, Madhumita, the issue of this thread is too trifle a matter vis-a-vis the other pressing things of life, so I guess, we live it at that.
Amaar Shubhechha Grohon Koriben !!!

Warm regards,

Dubai-UAE

rupeshhari

VIP Member
Sep 15, 2008
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
Dec 2008 to CIO
Doc's Request.
Jan 2009
AOR Received.
Feb 2009 from VO
IELTS Request
Didn't do IELTS.
File Transfer...
Not transfered to regional office.
Med's Request
July 2010 with RPRF and another PCC.
Med's Done....
Meds - September 2010. PCC - Late Oct 2010
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
Early November 2010
VISA ISSUED...
December 2010 - Exactly days shy of 2 years since I sent in my application to CIO.
LANDED..........
sharma77 said:
cic.gc.ca is the best consultant! i never advice anyone to go to theses thugs. my opinion excuse me
Remember these 'thugs' have given us this forum to help ourselves out. So lets say a big thank you to Cohen's business for giving us this forum so 'thugs' is the wrong word and is a generalization. Cohen's business (from what I read on this forum) is extremely ethical. They didn't take an application because they believed upfront that it will not qualify. That is ethical.

commonwealth

Nov 9, 2009
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Well said rupeshhari. We need more of these colluburation efforts and empower folks.... Your comments were uplifting and a big thanks to your. Bless your heart.

BTW, I filed my case without any consultant; you can find tone of useful info online.

Karlshammar

Champion Member
Sep 3, 2009
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
MOST properly educate and licensed attorneys and consultants are honest, hard-working people who are anything but thugs.

pooja82

Oct 10, 2009
Category........
Visa Office......
CHC London
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-11-2009
Doc's Request.
05-02-2010
AOR Received.
27-04-2010
IELTS Request
Submitted
File Transfer...
In Process
Med's Request
22-06-2012 (received 2nd July 2012)
Med's Done....
10-07-2012 (received by CHC London 16th July 2012)
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
31st Oct 2012
VISA ISSUED...
10th Dec 2012
LANDED..........
Sometime in March, April :-)
well said qorax
although i couldnot understand half of it
i think that was bengalee
bye

Rajeshwar

Nov 29, 2009
Hi Puja,

Well just now i gone though the threads about this topic and I am also in the same boat. Well May i know what is your decision and if you can guide its really a big help.

Waiting for your favorable reply.

regards // rajeshwar

tonyelbatal

Star Member
Jul 31, 2009
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
As for me,

I went without consultants, it's VERY easy. First you should read the forms very well, provide the information in a very ordered manner, be professional in your application and everything will go smoothly. I had the CSQ without any interview, and for the Permanent Residency VISA, I got the medical tests without an interview too. Now waiting for my VISA :)