+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Consultant advised to not link paper file online and continue to receive emails

HopefulLegend

Star Member
May 21, 2021
My consultant said that he could certainly link the file if I like, but he usually prefers to just leave it as is and receive the regular emails from IRCC. He also mentioned that updates on the online account are often not accurate. Is there any real benefit to linking the paper account online? Or is it better to just receive the emails?

BA2LAMAZ

Champion Member
Feb 25, 2016
My consultant said that he could certainly link the file if I like, but he usually prefers to just leave it as is and receive the regular emails from IRCC. He also mentioned that updates on the online account are often not accurate. Is there any real benefit to linking the paper account online? Or is it better to just receive the emails?
IMO linking the application is better as it provides you/the consultant with more visibility as to when things happen, eg, medical passed, background check in progress. I'm not sure why he wouldn't want to do that.

Last edited:

MushroomBB

Jun 9, 2021
IRCC will have an automatic email to tell you to check the account if they have an update. So you still get an email for the reminder even you link the account.
Like @BA2LAMAZ said, after linking the account, you will know the progress better, e.g. medical pass. If not, you will see IRCC received the medical report only.

Reactions: esam99

HopefulLegend

Star Member
May 21, 2021
IRCC will have an automatic email to tell you to check the account if they have an update. So you still get an email for the reminder even you link the account.
Like @BA2LAMAZ said, after linking the account, you will know the progress better, e.g. medical pass. If not, you will see IRCC received the medical report only.
My consultant was saying that if I do the paper account link thing, then he will no longer receive emails from IRCC. So you're saying he will continue to receive the emails?

MushroomBB

Jun 9, 2021
My consultant was saying that if I do the paper account link thing, then he will no longer receive emails from IRCC. So you're saying he will continue to receive the emails?
I did not hire any consultant or representative to help me submit my application. I do it on my own.
Before I link to the account, the correspondence (with attachment) is sending to my email (e.g. Biometric reminder) and my husband's email (AOR & SA)
After I link my app to my portal account, an email will send to me to confirm that I successfully linked.
Later on, once there is an update (e.g. MR & AIP), I receive an email saying " A message about your application is waiting for you", remind you to log in and check the updates.
I am not sure if it is the same if you hire someone to help you handle the application.

BA2LAMAZ

Champion Member
Feb 25, 2016
When there is a consultant involved, you don't or shouldn't link your application yourself. This should be done by the consultant through their own CIC account (consultants have theirs) because if you do, the consultant won't be able to do so at a later time. That said, you have the option to also see some progress through eCAS https://services3.cic.gc.ca/ecas/security.do?lang=en

Last edited:

Simmy200

Star Member
Nov 4, 2019
When there is a consultant involved, you don't or shouldn't be linking your application yourself. This should be done by the consultant through their own CIC account (consultants have theirs) because if you do, the consultant won't be able to do so at a later time. That said, you have the option to also see some progress through eCAS https://services3.cic.gc.ca/ecas/security.do?lang=en
I try so many times to use ecas, but is unable to see anything and I also have a representative

HopefulLegend

Star Member
May 21, 2021
IMO linking the application is better as it provides you/the consultant with more visibility as to when things happen, eg, medical passed, background check in progress. I'm not sure why he wouldn't want to do that.
A couple of questions:
  1. The online tool (https://services3.cic.gc.ca/ecas/security.do?lang=en) only says that they have sent me medical instructions. But they have also sent me biometric instructions too, why is it not showing this?
  2. It says the medical results have been received, but do they send an email if I fail? Or is the only way to check by linking the account online?
  3. Are there any emails sent after they receive/process biometrics?

canadan_

Jan 26, 2020
A couple of questions:
  1. The online tool (https://services3.cic.gc.ca/ecas/security.do?lang=en) only says that they have sent me medical instructions. But they have also sent me biometric instructions too, why is it not showing this?
  2. It says the medical results have been received, but do they send an email if I fail? Or is the only way to check by linking the account online?
In answer to questions 1 and 2, the online tool will only say medical instructions have been sent, it doesn’t say anything about biometrics and will only say that medical results have been received. My understanding is that this is normally a sign they have passed although I’m not 100%. Yes the only way to know for sure is by linking the account online (or you could order GCMS notes if this isn’t a possibility, it does take 30 days though).

I’m unsure about the third question as we have gone through a rep too, although I believe in GCKEY (the portal where you link the account) it would say biometrics received. I don’t think there’s an email.

esam99

Nov 4, 2020
he is wrong, u can link the application and still receive email updates

BA2LAMAZ

Champion Member
Feb 25, 2016
A couple of questions:

1. You wouldn't see anything related to biometrics on ECAS.
2. If it says your medical have been received, it most likely has passed. It will stay this way until the end.
3. I'm not sure but I don't think you will receive any email for that. The update can only be seen on GCKey.