+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Consequences of Postponing Arrival?

loussica

Apr 10, 2019
If say, an applicant and spouse have already been approved and have COPR, but want to postpone plans to move to Canada by a few years. What will happen to the application? Is everything thrown out and the refundable part refunded and in the future needs to be resubmitted entirely? Or is it saved? Is refund necessary? I assume there must be some kind of penalization because they really emphasize proving intentions to arrive and stay at the time of approval.
But what exactly will happen?

Bs65

VIP Member
Mar 22, 2016
Others can comment or correct but if you have not already landed in Canada as a PR and plan not to come to Canada for a few years then your COPRs will expire and you would need to appy again from the beginning. There would be no refund of anything you would have go through the whole application again and pay the fees again.

When you apply again then of course you need to answer any question about previous applications but there should be no impact to any new application as that would be assessed based on your qualification at that time.

Generally pre COVID then people here would recommend that if possible a COPR holder should make a soft landing given that gives them a few years , upto 3, where they could remain outside of the country and still meet the PR residency obligation. WIth COVID this has become complicated as IRCC are discouraging soft landings plus of course there is the mandatory 14 quarantine whereas pre C OVID people would come for a few days complete landing and leave.

WIth COVID IRCC are being flexible with COPR expiry dates but only in terms of months extensions but not extensions for years as you are proposing.

Last edited:

loussica

Apr 10, 2019
There would be no refund of anything you would have go through the whole application again and pay the fees again.
Is there a difference in refund possibilities between being rejected for failure to arrive and withdrawing or cancelling of ones own accord? *during COPR and covid arrival delays

Bs65

VIP Member
Mar 22, 2016
A COPR once issued is a use it or lose it document so not arriving during the validity of the document or even not arriving within any extension given out due to COVID there would be no refund of any fees.

loussica

Apr 10, 2019
i found something saying refund is possible before gaining PR “status”. When does that start? From CoPR or from arrival?

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
i found something saying refund is possible before gaining PR “status”. When does that start? From CoPR or from arrival?
If you have received COPR essentially all the work has been done so you can’t expect to get your all fees refunded.

loussica

Apr 10, 2019
If you have received COPR essentially all the work has been done so you can’t expect to get your all fees refunded.
That sounds true but also like you’re guessing
I just wanna know for sure, and I know it won’t be much if anything but it’s a lot wasted T_T