+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Connecting Flights

Liaze

Mar 28, 2024
Good day!
Is there someone here knows about flying to canada with layover on united states, korea, japan but the case is I'm from Philippines or holding a Philippines passport with visa stamp from canada and a COPR.
I'm planning to have connecting flights thru the following visa country from Philippines to toronto canada?
Thank you for the reply.☺

Xilikon

Apr 26, 2018
Quebec City, Canada
Category........
FAM
Avoid the USA at all costs as it requires a visa even for transit. The best option is to fly either directly with PAL or via Taipei, Seoul, Singapore or Tokyo which all have flights straight to Canada. Use Air Canada and search for flights, it's has 80% of flighs which avoid the USA.

In our case, since our daughter wanted to visit Sout Korea (it's her lifetime dream), I decided to do MNL-ICN and have a few days stopover as part of a special transit via B-2-1 which allows anyone with a visa to Canada to visit visa-free. Then ICN to Canada.

Reactions: Liaze and scylla

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Good day!
Is there someone here knows about flying to canada with layover on united states, korea, japan but the case is I'm from Philippines or holding a Philippines passport with visa stamp from canada and a COPR.
I'm planning to have connecting flights thru the following visa country from Philippines to toronto canada?
Thank you for the reply.☺
Agreed with the advice given above. You need a visa to transit through the US. Avoid the US.

Reactions: Liaze

Liaze

Mar 28, 2024
Thank you for replying,
Meaning Manila to South Korea (ICN Airport)
I don't need a transit visit even staying there inside the airport for 10hrs waiting for my next flight?
And if ever, I choose Manila to Tokyo (NRT Airport) I will not be needing a transit visa even staying for 12hours?
Just making sure, I have no idea about it. Thank you so much for your help.☺

YVR123

VIP Member
Jul 27, 2017
Thank you for replying,
I don't need a transit visit even staying there inside the airport for 10hrs waiting for my next flight?
And if ever, I choose Manila to Tokyo (NRT Airport) I will not be needing a transit visa even staying for 12hours?
google is your friend, I search for "does Filipino need transit visa in country_interested_to_transit"

Korea Entry Requirements from the Philippines | K eTA South Korea
South Korea transit visa for Philippines passport holders
Filipinos do not need a visa to transit through South Korea:

• Incheon International Airport, Seoul— for less than 24 hours for
  • Other airports— when departing on the same calendar day
Passengers must stay in the transit area. A visa is required to leave the airport or pass through immigration.

Japan Visa for Citizens of the Philippines - Japan eVisa (visasjapan.com)
More short-term Japan evisas for Philippine nationals
In addition to the tourist visas outlined above, Filipino nationals may apply for the following short-term visas:

• Business Visa - to qualify for this visa, applicants should be employed at least on a managerial level at a corporation which falls under certain criteria
  • Transit Visa - if Japan is simply a stopover while traveling to a different country, Philippine citizens will require a Transit Visa

Kaibigan

Champion Member
Dec 27, 2020
Thank you for replying,
It looks like times have changed for the worse for Filipinos. In the years 1995 - 2002, I had a Filipino gf and she always travelled on a Phils passport. We flew Japan Airlines a few times, Vancouver-Manila return, and it used to involve an overnight in Tokyo. JAL would bus passengers to a hotel in Tokyo and put them up overnight, then back to airport next morning. No visa required.

Flying Asiana Airlines into S. Korea worked the same way. Bus into Seoul to stay over, then bus back to airport in morning to continue the flight. No visa needed.

Both of those JAL and Asiana trips were a nice way to travel. Broke up the flying time and they treated passengers well. Good hotel accommodation, meals provided, etc. There were no direct flights in those days to/from Vancouver. PAL did not fly to Vancouver then. Their first venture into that market, and with direct flights, was a short-lived partnership with Canadian Airlines (anyone remember them?) in the late 90s. The trip Vancouver-Manila would be on aircraft operated by one of those 2 airlines and the return trip would be on aircraft operated by the other.

Like the others have said, don't book via US. Having a Canada passport stamp or COPR won't count for anything. It's the country issuing the passport that counts and you probably would not be allowed to board a flight to US without a transit visa.

Also, unless it too has changed, you can fly Cathay Pacific, Manila-Hong Kong, and layover in Hong Kong (usually only a few hours) without a visa. I have done the trip, as well, on Eva Air via Taipei and China Air via Beijing, but always alone, so I don't know their rules for Filipinos (just, as it seems, I no longer know the rules for a lot of other places).

Liaze

Mar 28, 2024
Thank you all for your patience ☺
I tried to research it also but sometimes I feel
like I want to ask about other people based on their experience, and like for a sick person, I always want second opinion lol hahaha.
That's why I find this forum a big help for me.
Thank you again☺

Xilikon

Apr 26, 2018
Quebec City, Canada
Category........
FAM
Thank you all for your patience ☺
I tried to research it also but sometimes I feel
like I want to ask about other people based on their experience, and like for a sick person, I always want a second opinion lol hahaha.
That's why I find this forum a big help for me.
Thank you again☺
You are welcome! It just happens I did a lot of research about it this week and we are in the same situation as well. so I'"m glad to share what I know.

Liaze

Mar 28, 2024
Hi!
The COPR has the stamp not valid for travel thats okay. Right.
Thats still the COPR, I will present in Canada entry, right?

Thank you☺

steaky

VIP Member
Nov 11, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Hi!

Thank you☺
Yes, you would need to show your COPR at the airline counter and immigration at your port of entry of your Canadian destination.

Xilikon

Apr 26, 2018
Quebec City, Canada
Category........
FAM
Hi!

Thank you☺
The COPR document is for Canada Immigration (you need to stop there to do the landing interview and present the COPR so they can complete the process and start the PR Card process). The visa in your passport is the one to show at check-in to allow you to board the flight and to let you enter Canada.

Liaze

Mar 28, 2024
Thank you so much.
I'm just anxious what to present in immigration at manila airport. You almost answer everything.
Thank you so much again☺