+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Conjugal Sponsorship

LadyLyn

Mar 5, 2020
Hi everyone! Hope somebody can help me answer some questions/concerns regarding conjugal sponsorship.

I am in a 3yr serious relationship with my gf in Canada (same sex relationship). Shes a permanent resident in Canada. I am married but separated from my husband for almost 6yrs now. We are not legally separated because divorce isnt allowed here in the Philippines. My husband divorced me in the US but technically Im still married here in the Philippines. Annullment is the only way to be legally separated here.

She visited me twice last 2018 and stayed at my place with my kids for 2 months and last Dec 2019 to Feb 2020.

Both of our respective families knew about our relationship. We have travelled together with our families, spent Christmas, wedding, birthday and special occassions together just to name a few.

I recently applied for a TRV (Nov 2019) and got denied because the Immigration are not satisfied I am coming back here in the Philippines and that i dont have a strong ties going to Canada.

We both are considering to apply for a Conjugal Sponsorship but we dont know if we are eligible to apply. We have joint bank account, proof of remittances (monthly), pictures, convos, call logs, even our families can testify about our relationship, plane tickets, etc.

Should we consider applying for a Conjugal sponsorship?

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Hi everyone! Hope somebody can help me answer some questions/concerns regarding conjugal sponsorship.

I am in a 3yr serious relationship with my gf in Canada (same sex relationship). Shes a permanent resident in Canada. I am married but separated from my husband for almost 6yrs now. We are not legally separated because divorce isnt allowed here in the Philippines. My husband divorced me in the US but technically Im still married here in the Philippines. Annullment is the only way to be legally separated here.

She visited me twice last 2018 and stayed at my place with my kids for 2 months and last Dec 2019 to Feb 2020.

Both of our respective families knew about our relationship. We have travelled together with our families, spent Christmas, wedding, birthday and special occassions together just to name a few.

I recently applied for a TRV (Nov 2019) and got denied because the Immigration are not satisfied I am coming back here in the Philippines and that i dont have a strong ties going to Canada.

We both are considering to apply for a Conjugal Sponsorship but we dont know if we are eligible to apply. We have joint bank account, proof of remittances (monthly), pictures, convos, call logs, even our families can testify about our relationship, plane tickets, etc.

Do you have status in the US?

LadyLyn

Mar 5, 2020
Do you have status in the US?
My ex husband was born and raised here in the Philippines but is an American Citizen. He divorced me in the US, but here in the Philippines Im still married. We got married here in the Philippines last 2008. The dissolution of marriage got approved in the US last 2015. He sent me divorce papers here in the Philippines for me to sign and i sent back the papers with my signature. Problem is Im still legally married here in the Philippines.

My current partner for 3 yrs and I are planning to apply for a conjugal sponsorship. Based on what i have stated, are we eligible? I tried applying for a TRV and it got denied.

armoured

VIP Member
Feb 1, 2015
My ex husband was born and raised here in the Philippines but is an American Citizen. He divorced me in the US, but here in the Philippines Im still married. We got married here in the Philippines last 2008. The dissolution of marriage got approved in the US last 2015. He sent me divorce papers here in the Philippines for me to sign and i sent back the papers with my signature. Problem is Im still legally married here in the Philippines.

My current partner for 3 yrs and I are planning to apply for a conjugal sponsorship. Based on what i have stated, are we eligible? I tried applying for a TRV and it got denied.
I do not know details re: conjugal but other potential option is to get married in jurisdictions that a) have same-sex marriage and b) would recognise your US divorce/dissolution. (Obviously also places you could get a visa to). I.e. in Canada, believe your divorce would be recognised and same sex marriages legal, so if you can get to Canada, one piece of the puzzle solved. But you can't get TRV, so that is one step to conjugal sponsorship.

Taiwan has same-sex marriage, dont' know how they approach marriage of foreigners and recog of foreign divorces. Resources that are LGBT specific may have more knowledge. (Similarly LGBT groups in Canada may have useful insights with regard to conjugal sponsorship)

Also note - I do not know whether there are potential legal issues for Philippine citizens with foreign divorces who re-marry in other jurisdictions.

LadyLyn

Mar 5, 2020
The marriage took place here in the Philippines. If the immigration will base on my marital status here in the Philippines since I am a Filipino citizen and i have never been in the US, I am still legally married under Philippine law. We are hoping that would add as a factor we cant get married here the fact that same sex relationship/marriage is illegal in my country. Plus, I also made an effort to visit here in Canada but no luck. My TRV got denied.

armoured

VIP Member
Feb 1, 2015
The marriage took place here in the Philippines. If the immigration will base on my marital status here in the Philippines since I am a Filipino citizen and i have never been in the US, I am still legally married under Philippine law. We are hoping that would add as a factor we cant get married here the fact that same sex relationship/marriage is illegal in my country. Plus, I also made an effort to visit here in Canada but no luck. My TRV got denied.
You'll need to check with lawyers. I understand some foreign divorces can be recognized there but dual citizen or not may be a factor.

Again, it is possible you could apply under conjugal. You need to demonstrate and document why you qualify for conjugal.

LadyLyn

Mar 5, 2020
You'll need to check with lawyers. I understand some foreign divorces can be recognized there but dual citizen or not may be a factor.

Again, it is possible you could apply under conjugal. You need to demonstrate and document why you qualify for conjugal.
We are going to hire a Visa Consultant/Lawyer to help us out with our application/case. Funny thing about my divorce paper, he didnt get the spelling of my name right, even my middle initial is incorrect. So I dont know if thats valid or void.

AUG19

Star Member
Aug 29, 2019
DR
Category........
FAM
App. Filed.......
29-08-2019
AOR Received.
28-09-2019
I also think they have a special provisions for Phillipines, I think I've seen some posts in the past regarding that situation, you might want to do a quick search to see if you find anything that can help you.

LadyLyn

Mar 5, 2020
I also think they have a special provisions for Phillipines, I think I've seen some posts in the past regarding that situation, you might want to do a quick search to see if you find anything that can help you.
Thanks for the advice! What do you mean by special provisions?

AUG19

Star Member
Aug 29, 2019
DR
Category........
FAM
App. Filed.......
29-08-2019
AOR Received.
28-09-2019
Thanks for the advice! What do you mean by special provisions?
CIC knows that divorce in the phillipines is not always an option, but as I said, because it's not my situation you might want to search on here for others who have gone through a similar process.

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12

You can apply for conjugal.

Reactions: canuck78