+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Conjugal Sponsorship

armoured

VIP Member
Feb 1, 2015
A. Because it sounds like Marriage is “the only” option which is suppose to be not. Were people saying “Get married and or you should have gotten married instead”
As @k.h.p. put it, the law is without emotion in this regard, and to be blunt, your opinions on marriage are irrelevant from IRCC perspective.

It's fairly simple: spousal sponsorship is to sponsor spouses. If you're not spouses (by marriage or by common law), you are not eligible. Period. The only exception - conjugal sponsorship - is for those who are prevented or face insurmountable obstacles to becoming spouses. That does not appear to be the case. If you don't meet those criteria, spousal sponsorship does not apply and there's no 'planning to be spouses' program.

As I understand the law in UAE has been reformed to allow you to cohabit, and you are now doing so, the logical outcome will be a refusal for the reasons above and that you are not yet common law; effectively, you applied too early - you could have simply waited until you had the requisite 12 months of cohabitation. (If I understand correctly, one of you was in the Netherlands before that, so you won't really be able to claim that you were prevented from living together at that time, or factually living together despite the law prior to November - but I do not know the details of your timeline).

On the positive side: although I don't think there's any basis for the conjugal application to be approved (but perhaps it will, not my decision), in your particular circumstances, the refusal might not be a strong negative factor in future. When you re-apply later - either as common law or as married - you should explain that your previous application under conjugal was refused but that now you meet the spousal sponsorship criteria as married or common-law.

Again frankly - when re-applying in future, admit that you made an error in applying under and believing you qualified as conjugal and now are applying having met the criteria for spousal sponsorship. It likely will get some extra review (probably all previous refusals do). But at least in your case the refusal will likely be for a clear and obvious reason which can be easily corrected - by meeting the requirements for spousal sponsorship.

Note, this is crucially based upon you being able to reside together for 12 months continuously and being able to document this fully and carefully OR getting married before re-applying.

MJSPARV

Sep 17, 2020
Also in this thread or a different one where you asked this question you mentioned something to the effect of wanting to be sure about this relationship/how serious marriage is/wanting to explain that to IRCC as why you are applying conjugal if I understood your posts correctly. In my opinion that is a really bad idea. You don't want to give them grounds to think your relationship isn't genuine and have either this one turn into conjugal isn't applicable AND they have doubts about your relationship, nor that you get refused and then you reapply and they have doubts about the relationship based on your letter of explanation for this conjugal application. I'd assume that that they can and do look at a previous application when a second one is made.

macrice

Jan 2, 2021
Manila, Philippines
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
Sydney
App. Filed.......
03-06-2020
AOR Received.
19-12-2020
Med's Request
15-01-2021
Passport Req..
01-07-2021
VISA ISSUED...
01-07-2021
Hi

I just got decision made and got my PPR last july 1 2021 and I wanna share my Conjugal Application journey.

Short background, we are a same sex couple I am from the Philippines and she is a canadian citizen. We've met online aroun 2018 at that same year she flew to meet me in malaysia at that time i was a student there, we traveled to Singapore around that same visit and she met both my parents.

Around 2019 she visited me again in the Philippines as I finished my studying in Malaysia and is back in the Philippines, she met half of my family from my grandmother to my uncle and aunts.

Later that year, her father visited the Philippines and also visited my province to meet me along with his sisters, added all these evidences/pictures for our future application.

We decide to apply by the help of an immigration lawyer, our application was received by IRCC on June 2020, noted we submitted tons of evidences for our conjugal application examples are as follows:

- tons of pictures together with family, touring together, eating together etc
-Chat messages from different platforms (messenger, whatsapp, kik, Instagram) all in english
- Printed and handwritten letters with signature written in English from our families that dictates their approval of our relationship
- Remittances/gifts we sent eachother
- Multiple Facebook posts celebrating anniversary, messages of love, tags etc (some together in person, some online posts since we are ldr)
- we cannot open a bank account together or haven't found a way to since she lives in canada and seldom visits the Philippines (both of her visit to me only lasted 2 weeks) so she decided to list my name to one of her insurance from her job
- we both wrote a letter describing our relationship (how it started how we meant to eachother)

Notes to consider: The first requirement we succeeded on the conjugal application was that we cannot get married since gay marriage is illegal in the Philippines, the next one was Immigration barriers Philippines/filipinos needs visa to visit canada

I just want to emphasize on the immigration barrier, (I have never been rejected a TRV before), I have never applied to visit canada before hence the no rejection. The immigration barrier as I have understood and in my opinion it is that, first I have no family in canada to visit to, second I am in a relationship to somebody in canada which indicate that the only reason I plan to travel to canada is because of her which could get me denied.

Immigration officers final decision is decided by alot of reasons weighing pros and cons and in my opinion if you believe in your applications strength and is as transparent to immigration as you can be, you will find success.

Check signature for my timeline :)
You can message me if you have any questions.

Last edited:
Reactions: Tintin and Snowy

ydd0713

Nov 5, 2018
Hi

I just got decision made and got my PPR last july 1 2021 and I wanna share my Conjugal Application journey.

Short background, we are a same sex couple I am from the Philippines and she is a canadian citizen. We've met online aroun 2018 at that same year she flew to meet me in malaysia at that time i was a student there, we traveled to Singapore around that same visit and she met my both my parents.

Around 2019 she visited me again in the Philippines as I finished my studying in Malaysia and is back in the Philippines, she met half of my family from my grandmother to my uncle and aunts.

Later that year, her father visited the Philippines and also visited my province to meet me along with his sisters, added all these evidences/pictures for our future application.

We decide to apply by the help of an immigration agency, our application was received by IRCC on June 2020, noted we submitted tons of evidences for our conjugal application examples are as follows:

-Chat messages from different platforms (messenger, whatsapp, kik, Instagram) all in english
- Printed and handwritten letters with signature written in English from our families that dictates their approval of our relationship
- Multiple Facebook posts celebrating anniversary, messages of love, tags etc (some together in person, some online posts since we are ldr)
- we cannot open a bank account together or haven't found a way to since she lives in canada and seldom visits the Philippines (both of her visit to me only lasted 2 weeks) so she decided to list my name to one of her insurance from her job
- we both wrote a letter describing our relationship (how it started how we meant to eachother)

Notes to consider: The first requirement we succeeded on the conjugal application was that we cannot get married since gay marriage is illegal in the Philippines, the next one was Immigration barriers Philippines/filipinos needs visa to visit canada

I just want to emphasize on the immigration barrier, (I have never been rejected a TRV before), I have never applied to visit canada before hence the no rejection. The immigration barrier as I have understood and in my opinion it is that, first I have no family in canada to visit to, second I am in a relationship to somebody in canada which indicate that the only reason I plan to travel to canada is because of her which could get me denied.

Immigration officers final decision is decided by alot of reasons weighing pros and cons and in my opinion if you believe in your applications strength and is as transparent to immigration as you can be, you will find success.

congratulations.

I am currently sponsoring my partner for 11 years. I am naturalized canadian (former filipino) and my partner is a filipina. Same sex couple as well. Hopefully our app will be as quick and smooth as yours.

macrice

Jan 2, 2021
Manila, Philippines
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
Sydney
App. Filed.......
03-06-2020
AOR Received.
19-12-2020
Med's Request
15-01-2021
Passport Req..
01-07-2021
VISA ISSUED...
01-07-2021
congratulations.

I am currently sponsoring my partner for 11 years. I am naturalized canadian (former filipino) and my partner is a filipina. Same sex couple as well. Hopefully our app will be as quick and smooth as yours.
Thank you, do your best submit as much solid evidence as you can, make it a goal as your intention is to be with your partner and her as well. Be transparent and declare everything. Wishing success for you and your partner.

Reactions: andycided

Lizcarl

Apr 29, 2019
Hi

Short background, we are a same sex couple I am from the Philippines and she is a canadian citizen. We've met online aroun 2018 at that same year she flew to meet me in malaysia at that time i was a student there, we traveled to Singapore around that same visit and she met both my parents.

We decide to apply by the help of an immigration lawyer, our application was received by IRCC on June 2020, noted we submitted tons of evidences for our conjugal application examples are as follows:

Hi! Congratulations on the success of your application! I hope and pray that we will also have the same positive outcome. I have some questions if you don't mind? I am applying for conjugal as well, like other applicants, a little complicated situation too. He had 2 previous failed relationships before, he was married before then had a common-law relationship after. Both ended already when we started our relationship. It was in 2008 when i moved to Canada. Was still married then but had been separated since 2004. Our relationship started in 2007. But we knew back then that that commitment is not gonna be a gf/bf relationship. Our communications had been very constant, phone calls, e-mails, text messages, video calls, we sort on different ways to communicate to each other and maintain our relationship. I have sent packages, remittances to him and to the home we were building in the Philippines. He also sends me financial help thru western union at times when i needed his help as well. We have been each other's comfort when things are bad, we support each other emotionally, mentally and financially . I have gone home 4 times since i came here and we always stayed together, inseparable during those visits. We both know that Philippine culture and law is harsh when it comes to relationship like ours. So we tried to keep the relationship outside the radar of my previous husband and anyone who is close to him. We have so many plans for each other, that our only hope of really being together without being penalized by our law and culture is to get married, bring him here in Canada. I divorced my husband in 2010 and my partner filed an annulment in 2016. We waited for so many years for the judgment of the court so we can marry outside the Philippines, because although i am divorced here, i am still legally married in the Philippines. So the plan was to get married in Hong Kong or anywhere where divorce is recognized. Last July, 2019, in anticipation of the finality of my partner's annulment that year, I applied for a Statutory Declaration of Single Status and submitted it to the Department of Foreign Affairs, Trade and Development Canada. There I stated that I intend to marry my partner in September 2019. But to our dismay, he didn't get the judgment until October of that year, the whole process including his marriage certificate annotated by the Philippine Statistics Authority, to show that his marriage is now null and void. We were able to gather the needed document this year,But with the pandemic and border restrictions, we are not able to proceed with our plan. Thus I am applying for conjugal sponsorship in hope that it will be granted.

Anyone here thinks we have a good chance? And upon filling out some forms, i came across the date we started the conjugal relationship? Do i write the date we started our relationship? Any thoughts? Thanks!

macrice

Jan 2, 2021
Manila, Philippines
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
Sydney
App. Filed.......
03-06-2020
AOR Received.
19-12-2020
Med's Request
15-01-2021
Passport Req..
01-07-2021
VISA ISSUED...
01-07-2021
Hi! Congratulations on the success of your application! I hope and pray that we will also have the same positive outcome. I have some questions if you don't mind? I am applying for conjugal as well, like other applicants, a little complicated situation too. He had 2 previous failed relationships before, he was married before then had a common-law relationship after. Both ended already when we started our relationship. It was in 2008 when i moved to Canada. Was still married then but had been separated since 2004. Our relationship started in 2007. But we knew back then that that commitment is not gonna be a gf/bf relationship. Our communications had been very constant, phone calls, e-mails, text messages, video calls, we sort on different ways to communicate to each other and maintain our relationship. I have sent packages, remittances to him and to the home we were building in the Philippines. He also sends me financial help thru western union at times when i needed his help as well. We have been each other's comfort when things are bad, we support each other emotionally, mentally and financially . I have gone home 4 times since i came here and we always stayed together, inseparable during those visits. We both know that Philippine culture and law is harsh when it comes to relationship like ours. So we tried to keep the relationship outside the radar of my previous husband and anyone who is close to him. We have so many plans for each other, that our only hope of really being together without being penalized by our law and culture is to get married, bring him here in Canada. I divorced my husband in 2010 and my partner filed an annulment in 2016. We waited for so many years for the judgment of the court so we can marry outside the Philippines, because although i am divorced here, i am still legally married in the Philippines. So the plan was to get married in Hong Kong or anywhere where divorce is recognized. Last July, 2019, in anticipation of the finality of my partner's annulment that year, I applied for a Statutory Declaration of Single Status and submitted it to the Department of Foreign Affairs, Trade and Development Canada. There I stated that I intend to marry my partner in September 2019. But to our dismay, he didn't get the judgment until October of that year, the whole process including his marriage certificate annotated by the Philippine Statistics Authority, to show that his marriage is now null and void. We were able to gather the needed document this year,But with the pandemic and border restrictions, we are not able to proceed with our plan. Thus I am applying for conjugal sponsorship in hope that it will be granted.

Anyone here thinks we have a good chance? And upon filling out some forms, i came across the date we started the conjugal relationship? Do i write the date we started our relationship? Any thoughts? Thanks!

Quite complicated, honestly I suggest going for an Immigration lawyer so they can assess your case and suggest the right path. As I understood you are both legally married still in the Philippines?

Lizcarl

Apr 29, 2019
Quite complicated, honestly I suggest going for an Immigration lawyer so they can assess your case and suggest the right path. As I understood you are both legally married still in the Philippines?

Thanks for the reply. His marriage is now annulled but I am still legally married as our law there does not recognized divorce.

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Hi

Would suggest people apply for TRVs. A denied TRV is not a 100% requirement but it would be much better. Covid added extra barriers that will not be there in the future.

Sahara18

Jun 25, 2021
Hi Everyone!

Just to share a bit of an update and our Journey here as it might help someone as well.

We got approved Last Nov 2021.

It was a roller coaster ride of decision makings, What is goodand what not, We have contacted a lawyer in Canada where ar almost convince to get there service.

But my Partner had strong faith, He drafted a letter overtime. With thorough searching related to our situation. So as including links and stuff to prove its legit.

We got PRE- ARRiVAL letter 3mos after submission.

And the rest follows. Visa On Hand now.

andycided

Star Member
Apr 16, 2022
Hi

Manila Visa Office?

ZareenN

Dec 5, 2021
Hello All!

New member here but would like to get all your opinions on my status.

My partner and I are in a same-sex relationship. She is a Pakistani citizen and I am a dual national (Canada & Pakistan).
I currently reside in Canada and she resides in Pakistan.

We started interacting with each other in April 2021 over social media and Whatsapp. We both grew fond of each other and eventually traveled to UAE Dubai to meet each other in February 2022.
Our relationship has now been 1.5 years long.
I would like her to come live with me in Canada as a couple, because same-sex relationships are punishable by law in Pakistan and I do not want to take that risk as it may even be life threatening.
She spoke to a consultant once about applying for a temporary resident visa, to which the consultant responded that her visa would be denied looking at her profile ( not enough money in account, no working status etc).

We are going to meet each other again in February 2023 in Dubai.

I would like to know what would be our options that we can consider in order to get her to Canada. Am I able to apply as a Conjugal sponsorship or not?

Please help me with any information, I would really appreciate it.

Thank you!

Reactions: Tintin and Snowy

ZareenN

Dec 5, 2021
Hello All!

My partner and I are in a same-sex relationship. She is a Pakistani citizen and I am a dual national (Canada & Pakistan).

We started interacting with each other in April 2021 over social media and Whatsapp. We both grew fond of each other and eventually traveled to UAE Dubai to meet each other in February 2022.
I would like her to come live with me in Canada as a couple, because same-sex relationships are punishable by law in Pakistan and I do not want to take that risk as it may even be life threatening.
She spoke to a consultant once about applying for a temporary resident visa, to which the consultant responded that her visa would be denied looking at her profile ( not enough money in account, no working status etc).

I would like to know what would be our options that we can consider in order to get her to Canada. Am I able to apply as a Conjugal sponsorship or not?

Thank you!

Tintin and Snowy

Star Member
Feb 2, 2021
Hello All!

Thank you!
Conjugal is best option. I did the same (from India).
Best,

Reactions: Jaise