+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Conjugal relationship (Same-sex) sponsorship

ziajendaj

Jan 31, 2016
Hi everyone,

I have a question regarding conjugal relationship sponsorship. I've researched this forum about the topic and found many opinions that it is the hardest way of sponsorship. I realize that there are several obstacles that can be seen as reasonable for CIC to consider sponsorship through this way.

Our story:

We are both women (23 and 20) and she lives in Canada. I am from Europe and I live in one of the visa exempt countries, so as many people stated - it is harder if countries that qualify for it, although I'm sure I can only stay to up 6 months (maybe it is possible to extent, not sure). Basically let's assume that common-law could be achievable, but really is out of question. I'll start university in October and there is no way I can transfer to Canada due to financial reasons. The only thing we could get close to living together at this point is if I came for a semester there in my 2nd or 3rd year or try to push for a year.

I know many people recommend marriage as the best way, but I don't really think I can qualify for that. I live in a country where it is impossible to marry person of a same sex and marriages like that are not recognized by law. (Plus my parents are homophobic..)

Very soon our relationship will hit one year (basing on the first time we met in person), but we've talked long time before that. I believe it is possible for us to proof our relationship as we text, Skype and send each other pictures all the time. I've met all of her friends and I've been there 3 times. We are interdependent on each other in a way that we have the same friends circle, we try to support each other financially (I was short to pay my ticket, so she sent me money to help me buy it) and generally to put it in a way - we can't imagine our lives without each other.

She wants to sponsor me, so I can come in my 2nd/3rd year for semester or try to push it for a year (I could work so money is no longer holding us back). It is also possible that if I get PR, then I could transfer in my 3rd year and settle in Canada for life. If I couldn't transfer I believe that I'd still be able to get a PR (or more importantly, not lose my status) as I think the requirement is I need to live there at least for 2 yrs out of 5. Basically if sponsorship worked I'd get my PR by the time I end my year at university, so after finishing the 1st year I could move there (probably) for 1 year if not even transfer earlier if money allowed.

I hope I've described my situation clearly to provide the best insight I could give anonymously on this forum. I am really committed to this person and I wish it was possible for us to live together as soon as possible. I've made a lot of financial and personal sacrifices for everything to work out.

MilesAway

Champion Member
Jul 26, 2012
Category........
Visa Office......
Warsaw
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
15-09-2014
Doc's Request.
09-04-2015
AOR Received.
12-11-2014
File Transfer...
30-10-2014
Med's Done....
26-08-2014
Passport Req..
23-04-2015
VISA ISSUED...
07-05-2015
LANDED..........
04-06-2015
I don't think conjugal will work, unfortunately. You don't have any barriers to becoming common-law, other than financial reasons. You also don't have any barriers to getting married.

It does not matter if your country recognizes same-sex marriage, so long as the marriage was legal in the country it took place and in Canada. My partner is from a country that is very homophobic, but we got married in a third-country. All her documents in her home country say that she is single, because legally, she is. CIC had no problems with that.

truesmile

Champion Member
Jun 7, 2012
Category........
Visa Office......
MNL
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
25-05-2012
AOR Received.
18-07-2012
File Transfer...
24-07-2012
Med's Done....
18-05-2012
Interview........
WAIVED
Passport Req..
05-12-2012
VISA ISSUED...
08-01-2013
LANDED..........
02-02-2013
It definitely won't work, for the same reasons already stated.

sexychill

Aug 21, 2012
Visa Office......
EDMONTON - MANILA
hi there,

i have a friend of mine who lives in Canada and her girlfriend lives in the Philippines, they went to Norway to get married. Canada acknowledge their marriage and now they are living together in Canad.Why dont you ask your girlfriend to go to Norway it will be easy for her to get - visa.

acfajardo

Star Member
Apr 11, 2015
Category........
Visa Office......
Manila
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
19-11-2015
AOR Received.
15-01-2016 SA: 25-01-2016 AOR2 Email: 17-03-2016
File Transfer...
02-02-2016
Med's Request
Upfront
Med's Done....
10-11-2015
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
30-06-2016
VISA ISSUED...
14-07-2016
LANDED..........
03-08-2016
Agree with all of them. Same sex marriage isn't legal in the Philippines too where I live and I was denied a trv to Canada so we got married in New Zealand. Though there are those who succeed in conjugal sponsorship, I only know of one so far. They've been partners for 10 years though and the one living in the Philippines was denied a visa to Canada so they had that immigration barrier and couldn't qualify as common law.

ALMALL

Feb 10, 2015
Category........
Visa Office......
Mississauga/Manila
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
02-12-2015
Doc's Request.
15-04-2016
AOR Received.
29-01-2016
File Transfer...
8-2-2016
Med's Request
2-2-2016 received
Med's Done....
upfront
Interview........
waived
Passport Req..
13-09-2016
VISA ISSUED...
22-09-2016 on transit
I think in your case is hard to prove a conjugal partner coz your country is a visa exempt means there is no barrier in your relationship. Financial matter is not a good reason. Me and my wife went to Denmark for marriage coz we are not considered conjugal partner as her family and my family accept our relationship and there is no barrier about it. Anyway what ever your decision it matters talk to your partner if she is willing to provide a ticket for you to marry here since it will be easy to apply for marriage here in Canada. There is no harm in trying.. God bless with your relationship and application..