+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

conjugal partners?

cgb

May 4, 2010
Here’s the situation- I’m from California, my boyfriend of 1.5 years is from Scotland. We’ve been living together since January in Toronto both on temporary work visas. He’s a computer programmer and should be able to easily get an extension (the job is on the list of those exempted from LMOs). For me, it’s not so easy. I just graduated university in California and my temp work visa will expire in August. I have a job that I like a lot, but it’s more of an ‘office job’ that I doubt will give me a positive LMO. I’ve asked my employer to apply for one and they will, though they doubt it’ll be positive.

Here’s the question- Is there any other way the two of us can stay living together? We are not ready to get married, though in a committed relationship. We aren’t common law b/c we’ve not been living together for over 12 months and he’s not a permanent resident. He can’t work in the US; I can’t work in the UK. I’ve been looking at conjugal partners, but there seems to be very loose guidelines and I’ve heard it’s quite difficult to have approved. I could possibly stay in Canada living with him until it’s been 12 month, then apply for common law (but I need to work somehow, and again he’s not a PR or citizen so that might not even work…). If my LMO does come back negative, I’d like to know if there’s another option or if I should get started right away. Sorry for being long-winded. Any help or ideas?

jes_ON

VIP Member
Jun 22, 2009
Category........
Visa Office......
New York
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
06-May-2010
AOR Received.
13-Aug-2010
File Transfer...
01-Mar-2011
Passport Req..
30-Jun-2011
VISA ISSUED...
12-Jul-2011 (received 25-Jul-2011)
LANDED..........
03-Sep-2011
Australia? :) Just kidding.

Graduate school?

Look into the provincial nominee program...