+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Conjugal Partner

malcesine

Oct 31, 2008
Hi everyone! Can anyone expand on the Conjugal Partner? Specifically, what will an Immigration Officer be looking for?

thanks!

PMM

VIP Member
Jun 30, 2005
Hi

malcesine said:
Hi everyone! Can anyone expand on the Conjugal Partner? Specifically, what will an Immigration Officer be looking for?

thanks!
The main reason, what is the impediment to living together or marriage.

PMM

malcesine

Oct 31, 2008
is there anything else they are looking for in order to sponsor as a conjugal? immigration barrier is the issue at the moment.

RobsLuv

Champion Member
Jul 14, 2008
Ontario
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
Original:14Mar2007; Reprocess began after appeal:26Apr2010
Doc's Request.
Original:9May'07; Reprocess:7May'10
AOR Received.
Original:28Apr'07; Reprocess:26Apr'10
File Transfer...
n/a
Med's Request
Reprocessing:7May2010
Med's Done....
Jun2010
Interview........
n/a
Passport Req..
30Nov2010!!
VISA ISSUED...
31Dec2010!!
LANDED..........
31Jan2011
Immigration barrier in what regard . . . because normally just not being able to stay for a year in each others' countries is not considered by CIC as an immigration barrier. An immigration barrier means that you've both applied to spend time in the other's country and were denied a permit to enter. Don't know where you're from, but just to start with - very few conjugal partner applications are approved if the foreign national partner is from a country that is visa exempt to Canada.

Lapalooza

May 3, 2016
Immigration barrier in what regard . . . because normally just not being able to stay for a year in each others' countries is not considered by CIC as an immigration barrier. An immigration barrier means that you've both applied to spend time in the other's country and were denied a permit to enter. Don't know where you're from, but just to start with - very few conjugal partner applications are approved if the foreign national partner is from a country that is to Canada.

Hi all I am new to this forum and hoping for some guidance.

My partner is from NZ and I am from Canada and currently living in Canada. We are hoping to apply as conjugal partners outland. He came to Canada on a travel work Visa October 2014 and stayed here until December 2014 when his Visa expired. Since that time he has been home but we have maintained the relationship and I just recently returned from a trip there. Visitor visa's are limited to 6months so if that's the case how do we apply as I'm understanding that conjugal is not really feasible...If he moves here and lives here for 6months on a visitor visa he can't work and wouldn't that be then applying inland?

Couple of other questions as we start this process:
How recent does the medical have to be?
How many years should he have remaining on his passport when applying?
How recent does the police check have to be?
He is planning to come for a 2 week visit in October 2016, will that affect anything if we have an ongoing application filed?
Will it help to get a shared bank account while he is here?

Thanks in advance for your feedback, I just want to make sure we have everything in proper order and do this right from the start.

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Correct - conjugal won't fly if he's from NZ. You face no barriers to marriage or common law.

You really have two choices: (1) get married; (2) find a way to live together continuously for a minimum of one full year. The second option may mean that he comes to Canada as a visitor for six months and then extends his stay from within Canada for another six months so that you can apply once a year has passed. Since he's here as a visitor, he won't be able to work. No - this isn't the same thing as applying inland. First of all, you should apply outland. Secondly, you won't be able to submit either an inland or outland application until you are either married or common law.

Lapalooza

May 3, 2016
scylla said:
Correct - conjugal won't fly if he's from NZ. You face no barriers to marriage or common law.

You really have two choices: (1) get married; (2) find a way to live together continuously for a minimum of one full year. The second option may mean that he comes to Canada as a visitor for six months and then extends his stay from within Canada for another six months so that you can apply once a year has passed. Since he's here as a visitor, he won't be able to work. No - this isn't the same thing as applying inland. First of all, you should apply outland. Secondly, you won't be able to submit either an inland or outland application until you are either married or common law.
Thank you Scylla I really appreciate the feedback. So let's say he comes and is able to extend his visitors visa for a year then after that year we would be able to apply as commonlaw outland? Or getting married is the obvious easiest route I am assuming.

Thank you again!

Rob_TO

VIP Member
Nov 7, 2012
Toronto
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
Seoul, Korea
App. Filed.......
13-07-2012
AOR Received.
18-08-2012
File Transfer...
21-08-2012
Med's Done....
Sent with App
Passport Req..
N/R - Exempt
VISA ISSUED...
30-10-2012
LANDED..........
16-11-2012
Lapalooza said:
Thank you Scylla I really appreciate the feedback. So let's say he comes and is able to extend his visitors visa for a year then after that year we would be able to apply as commonlaw outland? Or getting married is the obvious easiest route I am assuming.
Either way is perfectly fine. Or you could live 6 months in Canada and 6 months in NZ to become common-law, the only requirement is the cohabitation must be continuous.

Choice to become common-law or get married is entirely up to you.

Rob_TO

VIP Member
Nov 7, 2012
Toronto
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
Seoul, Korea
App. Filed.......
13-07-2012
AOR Received.
18-08-2012
File Transfer...
21-08-2012
Med's Done....
Sent with App
Passport Req..
N/R - Exempt
VISA ISSUED...
30-10-2012
LANDED..........
16-11-2012
Yurie27 said:
getting married is not really important. the important is the relationship is genuine and how long you've been in relationship.
god bless.
Very bad advice. If you can legally get married, then a conjugal application will most likely be rejected. The main aspect of a conjugal app is not that the relationship is genuine (though this is important as well), it's that getting married or becoming common-law is impossible due to immigration or legal reasons.

Yurie27

Star Member
Nov 6, 2015
cebu city
Category........
Visa Office......
manila
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
16-10-2015
Doc's Request.
26-1-2016
AOR Received.
Jan 5 2016
Interview........
non
Passport Req..
Nov 16 2016
VISA ISSUED...
Nov 24 3016
LANDED..........
Dec 2 2016 thanks god
anyway, me and my partner we used to live together 11 months. we have 3 years relationship until now and luckily our sponsoreship is already approved. right now we are hoping to receive good news for DM.