+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Conjugal Partner Visa

alex10torres

Oct 24, 2016
Hello. I am Canadian and I live in the Portugal, I am thinking about to move to Canadafor the next year. My girlfriend is Portuguese, can she go with me and stay legal in Canada? Thank you

CDNPR2014

VIP Member
Mar 1, 2016
Category........
Visa Office......
Ottawa
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
LANDED..........
you've posted this question in multiple boards. please stick to one board and wait for a response.

if you and your GF are together in portugal, then you don't qualify as a "conjugal" couple. a conjugal couple refers to a couple who can not otherwise be together in the same country because of some immigration barrier. since you are already together, you have no barrier to becoming commonlaw or married.

can you prove you've lived together for at least 365 days to qualify for commonlaw status? if you can prove cohabitation, then you may qualify to sponsor her for pr as a commonlaw spouse.

otherwise, if she wants to qualify for pr you need to get married and apply for spousal sponsorship.

right now, she can only visit canada. if she requires a visa to travel to canada, she needs to apply for a visitor's visa. she can not work or study while in canada as a visitor. if she wants to work or study, then she needs to apply for a work or study visa.

Ponga

VIP Member
Oct 22, 2013
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Do you currently live with her in Portugal? If so, how long?

You would not qualify for a Conjugal Partner Sponsorship, because there's nothing (immigration wise) preventing you from living together to either establish Common-Law, or getting married.

If you have lived together for at least one year, or if you get married, you could sponsor her now, while living abroad.

She may be able to `visit' you in Canada, but she cannot legally `live' in Canada until her PR has been approved.

alex10torres

Oct 24, 2016
We are dating for 6 years and living together for 2 years.
if I sponsoring now, she can go to canada without problems?

Thank you

Ponga

VIP Member
Oct 22, 2013
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
alex10torres said:
We are dating for 6 years and living together for 2 years.
if I sponsoring now, she can go to canada without problems?

Thank you
If you have solid proof that you've been living together, you might consider submitting an Outland application package now. You'd need to also include things to show your intent to really go to Canada once her PR is approved. This could be proof of looking for work, housing, etc., which can also include letters from family/friends, offering to help with your living expenses (or providing a place to stay) until you can get re-established back in Canada.

Now...until she has been approved for PR, there's really no guarantee that she will enter Canada without any problems. She (and you) need to understand what Dual Intent is and how CIC/CBSA may use that in determining her entry into Canada.