+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Conjugal partner sponsorship for a UK resident

Littlemiss

Mar 5, 2012
Has anyone had any luck with Conjugal partner sponsorship as I am not eliable for my partner to sponsor me as we have not lived together for year, we cant live together for a year as I cant not get a work permit for Canada and he cant for the UK as we are 32 and 33, the cut off is 31.

We have been together for a year doing long distance from the UK, we have pictures together all over europe, Uk and canada as we would meet every few months. Now I have come to Canada and I am living with him but I am on a tourist visa for 6 months, we dont have any combined bills to prove this and cant either as I am not a resident. We have 100's of pictures all over the world to prove we are in a loving relationship, does this help my case.

He owns a very expensive property in Vancouver and has a well paid secure job and was born in Canada.

Thanks,

tavora

Star Member
May 18, 2012
Category........
Visa Office......
CPP-Ottawa
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
09-07-2012
AOR Received.
N/A
File Transfer...
20-09-2012
Med's Done....
02-07-2012
Interview........
Waived!
Passport Req..
07-02-2013
VISA ISSUED...
10-05-2013
LANDED..........
31-05-2013
Littlemiss said:
Has anyone had any luck with Conjugal partner sponsorship as I am not eliable for my partner to sponsor me as we have not lived together for year, we cant live together for a year as I cant not get a work permit for Canada and he cant for the UK as we are 32 and 33, the cut off is 31.

We have been together for a year doing long distance from the UK, we have pictures together all over europe, Uk and canada as we would meet every few months. Now I have come to Canada and I am living with him but I am on a tourist visa for 6 months, we dont have any combined bills to prove this and cant either as I am not a resident. We have 100's of pictures all over the world to prove we are in a loving relationship, does this help my case.

He owns a very expensive property in Vancouver and has a well paid secure job and was born in Canada.
Conjugal has a very low success rate, as others on this forum will tell you -- like 1-2% of cases. The conjugal category is intended for those who are unable to live common-law or get married - i.e. countries that do not recognize same-sex marriage and the sponsored person cannot get a TRV to enter Canada to marry their partner. Are you not able to live common-law (6 months in each country together) or get married?

Sweden

VIP Member
Mar 31, 2012
Category........
Visa Office......
London
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
12/04/2012
File Transfer...
13/07/2012
Med's Done....
02/02/2012
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
Exempt
VISA ISSUED...
05/11/12, received in Canada 19/11/12
LANDED..........
24/11/12, PR card received 30/01/12
Littlemiss said:

Thanks,
Hey, and welcome to the forum.

I don't think you would qualify for conjugal relationship, as there is nothing preventing you from getting married ( at least from what you say), and/ or living together somewhere. CIC doesn't consider that not being able to work is a barrier...

So in your case, there are 2 possibilities: either you get married, and he can sponsor you right away.
Or - you wait a year to achieve the 12 months as common-law partners, by staying 6 months now in Canada, asking for an extension of your tourist visa before it expires, or going to the US and coming back and hopefully being given another 6 months.

You can not get bills, but if you receive mail at his address, have a common bank account ( or you are on his), and other proofs, you could prove that you live together even if you are not registered there.

Good luck,
Sweden

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
I agree with the others. Conjugal won't work for you.

You face no barriers to marriage and you face no barriers to living together for a year.

Littlemiss

Mar 5, 2012
Thank you for the advice, I just dont want to get married for a visa we want to explore our relationship in a normal context first and let that step happen in a natural way. It is so unfair that it makes people go into marriage just to be together.

I cant afford to not work for year and as much as my partner would support me I could not do that as I have alway made my own income and a successful career in media.

Has anyone had any success with studying for a year and getting a work premit along with it so they can work 30 hours a week too? after a year of this he could then sponsor me. Is that a viable opiton?

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Littlemiss said:
Has anyone had any success with studying for a year and getting a work premit along with it so they can work 30 hours a week too? after a year of this he could then sponsor me. Is that a viable opiton?
Yes - you can certainly come here on a study visa. Assuming you attend a qualifying school, you will qualify for an off campus work permit once you have completed six months of full time studies. An off campus work permit will allow you to work up to 20 hours per week.

Once you complete your studies, you can qualify for a post graduate work permit which will allow you to work full time (the length of this work permit will be determined by how long you studied).

Keep in mind that you will have to pay foreign student fees while studying here which are substantially higher than domestic student fees.

Rob_TO

VIP Member
Nov 7, 2012
Toronto
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
Seoul, Korea
App. Filed.......
13-07-2012
AOR Received.
18-08-2012
File Transfer...
21-08-2012
Med's Done....
Sent with App
Passport Req..
N/R - Exempt
VISA ISSUED...
30-10-2012
LANDED..........
16-11-2012
Littlemiss said:
Thank you for the advice, I just dont want to get married for a visa we want to explore our relationship in a normal context first and let that step happen in a natural way. It is so unfair that it makes people go into marriage just to be together.

I cant afford to not work for year and as much as my partner would support me I could not do that as I have alway made my own income and a successful career in media.
You have to look at this from the Government of Canada's point of view also. Giving a PR card out involves a huge commitment for health care, social services and countless other things that are paid for by Canadian tax payers. So they want to be super sure that the person getting the PR is deserving, and sorry but at least on paper a couple who is still in the "exploring their relationship" phase as you described it, should not qualify. There are simply too many casual couples in this world that vacation and spend lots of time together, that its impossible for the government to say which will result in a true family/marriage, and they have to draw a line somewhere. A "conjugal relationship" according to the CIC is for all intents and purposes the same as a marriage, and the only difference is that the couple is physically unable to get married or live together for 1 year. You are able to get married, but you choose not to.

I do agree though that the current procedures in place are too restrictive. I have no idea why Canada stops the work visa eligibility after a certain age. For you a 1-year work visa would be absolutely perfect as it would allow you to live and work in Canada for a year and give you a chance to be common-law while earning your own income.