+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Conjugal Partner Sponsorship - Canadian Female, American Male

blindstars

Sep 12, 2012
Hi guys,
I'd be forever grateful to any advice anyone might have. I know the approval rates for Conjugal Sponsorships are very low however my boyfriend and I hate being separated and this seems to be our only option at the (what seems to be a verrrrrrrrry long) moment. Let me explain why;

My boyfriend and I met online about a year and a half ago, however it didn't start being romantic until about a year ago. Currently, I am only 17 but I am turning 18 in a few months, which was when we were planning on putting in the application.
I am a Canadian citizen, college student and work full-time. He is an American citizen, college grad and works full-time also.

Our problem(s) is/are:

- It would be illegal for us to have been in a relationship in the states since I am still a minor. I obviously do not want him to go to jail >.<!
- I have financial restrictions which prevent me from moving to the States. (Student loans, I haven't always had a job, was in school)
- We can not marry in Canada until I am 19 years of age. (Which is another thing I'm confused about since in the cic manual it says that Conjugal partners should not intend to marry, otherwise they are to be considered Spousal relationships)

We have a lot of evidence that we are in a bonafide relationship. Skype calls, all sorts of chat logs, he has come up to visit me a couple of times, and we're currently in the process of tying together some of our financials. We have set aside money to start a life together.

I've read a lot of different stories, and seen some similar but I'm curious if anyone would have any personal insight or experience that they could share as I'm sure it would be a lot more helpful than the official manuals I've been reading endlessly for the past little while that all seem to say the same thing in different wording again, and again.

Thanks in advance :)

Sep 9, 2012
Why doesn't he try to get a work permit in Canada and move in with you on that first? That's exactly what I'm doing right now (though I'm not dealing with the age issue you are). I got mine from being a full-time student through an organization called BUNAC. If he recently graduated and was in school full time the last semester, he's probably eligible. I'm no expert, but I hope that helps.

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
I don't think conjugal will fly. You don't face any barriers to marriage. In all provinces except BC (I believe), you can get married at 18 without the consent of a parent. So once you turn 18, you can easily marry in Canada.

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Just to add - it looks like you can also get married in all of the US states (with the exception of Nebraska and Mississippi) at 18. So you're free to marry as soon as you turn 18 and definitely don't face any barriers to marriage. Hope this helps.

Creampop

Jun 15, 2012
Waterloo ON
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo closed &gt; Ottawa &gt; Finalized in LA
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
April 23rd, 2012
Doc's Request.
RPRF-September 14th, 2012
File Transfer...
7/23/12 &gt; Ottawa 10/9/12 &gt; LA
Med's Done....
April 10th, 2012
Interview........
waived
Passport Req..
October 9th, 2012
VISA ISSUED...
CoPR issued Oct. 29, 2012 DM November 6th, 2012
LANDED..........
November 23rd, 2012
http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/information/applications/guides/3900ETOC.asp#conjugal

Conjugal partner category is for foreign national partners of Canadian or permanent resident sponsors who would normally apply as common-law partners but are unable to live together continuously for one year, due to circumstances beyond their control, such as immigration barrier, religious reasons, marital status, or sexual orientation.
Being an American/Canadian couple there are no immigration barriers. Immigration barrier's would be like one of you was married but living in a country where divorce is not recognized. one being from a country that doesn't recognize same sex couples, things like that. the only barrier is your age but that would be anywhere unless you have your parents consent but once you 18 like scylla said no reason not to marry if your sure you want to come to Canada and make a life with him. there is also no reason you couldn't do 6 months him here living with you 6 months you living with him, or coming up on a visitors visa for 6 months and applying for an extention saying you wish to stay to explore your relationship further and have a year together to file common-law... I agree with scylla tho I don't think conjugal will fly either, only 1% - 2% even get approved.