+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Conjugal partner application

rorylangan

Mar 11, 2017
Hi all, I have a few questions im hoping could be fielded here.

I am Irish and girlfriend is Canadian. She is working and living in Canada after having spent four years in Ireland, during this time we met. We have been together for a little over 3 and half years now. and lived together for 9 months before she got a job back home.
I will be applying to train as a doctor there this time next year, PR status is required for this. I also have to spend time doing electives etc in the Canadian healthcare system prior to that, in the next 6 months or so.
Basically Im looking for any and all helpful information on the conjugal partner route. But have a few specifics to start with, because I keep getting conflicting information.

The difference between inland and outland? It is my understanding I can visit Canada while the application is pending. I want to use this time doing medical application requirements.
Once the PR is approved, is there an obligation or requirement to activate it or immediately live in Canada? As I will likely be working in Ireland when the PR would be approved. And should it be approved while Im visiting would i
The basics on how long it takes etc would also be helpful.
Any pitfalls or considerations in this application that are useful to know?

kcward7

VIP Member
May 4, 2017

I am Irish and girlfriend is Canadian. She is working and living in Canada after having spent four years in Ireland, during this time we met. We have been together for a little over 3 and half years now. and lived together for 9 months before she got a job back home.
I will be applying to train as a doctor there this time next year, PR status is required for this. I also have to spend time doing electives etc in the Canadian healthcare system prior to that, in the next 6 months or so.
Basically Im looking for any and all helpful information on the conjugal partner route. But have a few specifics to start with, because I keep getting conflicting information.

The difference between inland and outland? It is my understanding I can visit Canada while the application is pending. I want to use this time doing medical application requirements.
Once the PR is approved, is there an obligation or requirement to activate it or immediately live in Canada? As I will likely be working in Ireland when the PR would be approved. And should it be approved while Im visiting would i
First piece of advice is that you do not in any way qualify for conjugal so do not apply that route. Conjugal is a stream dedicated only to those who face immigration or legal barriers to a common law relationship or marriage. You do not.

Reactions: rorylangan

kcward7

VIP Member
May 4, 2017
For common law you must live together for 12 consecutive months for no breaks to qualify.
Marriage is straightforward, have to be married.

To apply inland you must both be inside of Canada.
To apply outland you can be in or outside of Canada.

There will be a timeline to land.

We are outland Irish as well so happy to help in any way.

WeegieInOttawa

Champion Member
Jun 11, 2017
Ottawa
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
London (UK)
App. Filed.......
24-10-2017
AOR Received.
08-12-2017
File Transfer...
24-01-2018
Med's Request
11-12-2017
Med's Done....
02-01-2018

A Conjugal application will not work for you guys..

A conjugal partner relationship exists where two people are in a marriage-like relationship but are not married and have not lived together for a period of at least one year due to extenuating circumstances. There are no such circumstances in your case.

Your options are to get married for spousal sponsorship, to live together for 12 continuous months (you could come here on visitor permit or try IEC dependnent on your age/county specifics) for common law sponsorship.

Inland - you must be living in Canada with your sponsor. You can include an open work permit app with your pr application, that would typically take 3/4 months to be granted.

Outland - you can be living in or outside Canada. No work permit option.

rorylangan

Mar 11, 2017
Wow this has been such a fast and great response, thanks so much. My understanding of conjugal relationship was two people with some sort of combined living arrangement. To that effect we thought because we lived together with combined bills and bank account that we could go conjugal, and our barrier to living together was basically rental agreements and academic commitments, she spent summers doing extra curricular stuff. So by the time it was appropriate to move in together we just had a lot going on. And we've been together for plenty of time too.

kcward7

VIP Member
May 4, 2017
Wow this has been such a fast and great response, thanks so much. My understanding of conjugal relationship was two people with some sort of combined living arrangement. To that effect we thought because we lived together with combined bills and bank account that we could go conjugal, and our barrier to living together was basically rental agreements and academic commitments, she spent summers doing extra curricular stuff. So by the time it was appropriate to move in together we just had a lot going on. And we've been together for plenty of time too.
No. Those are not appropriate barriers. An example of a potential barrier:

Divorce is illegal in the Philippines. An individual married but separated meets a Canadian. They cannot get legally divorced, and they cannot get a visitor visa to come to Canada as they are rejected for tourist visa. THOSE are true immigration/legal barriers because they cannot marry or cohabitate. This is just a rough high level kind of example but it demonstrates exactly what is meant by conjugal barriers. Academic and living constraints would not fall in this category. Nothing stops you from living together for a year or marrying.

Very few proceed successfully with conjugal. You need to go the marriage or common law route or else you will end up wasting a lot of time and money. Like I said above, we are outland Irish (married) and am happy to help you with any questions that I can should you wish to proceed :)

WeegieInOttawa

Champion Member
Jun 11, 2017
Ottawa
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
London (UK)
App. Filed.......
24-10-2017
AOR Received.
08-12-2017
File Transfer...
24-01-2018
Med's Request
11-12-2017
Med's Done....
02-01-2018
Wow this has been such a fast and great response, thanks so much. My understanding of conjugal relationship was two people with some sort of combined living arrangement. To that effect we thought because we liveud together with combined bills and bank account that we could go conjugal, and our barrier to living together was basically rental agreements and academic commitments, she spent summers doing extra curricular stuff. So by the time it was appropriate to move in together we just had a lot going on. And we've been together for plenty of time too.
No conjugal really has nothing too do with that.. It's things like religious barriers, marriage barriers due to immigration etc.

It really is a tough route to prove, even for those who "qualify".

You could technically move here, nothing is stopping you in terms of making you conjugal, hence why conjugal is NOT an option for you.

noscaf2014

Nov 2, 2016
As per CIC definition, a conjugal partner is:
  • a person who is living outside Canada,
  • in a conjugal relationship with the sponsor for at least one year, and
  • could not live with the sponsor as a couple because of reasons beyond their control (e.g. immigration barrier, religious reasons or sexual orientation).

rorylangan

Mar 11, 2017
As per CIC definition, a conjugal partner is:
  • a person who is living outside Canada,
  • in a conjugal relationship with the sponsor for at least one year, and
  • could not live with the sponsor as a couple because of reasons beyond their control (e.g. immigration barrier, religious reasons or sexual orientation).
thanks, i was looking for that, we had seen an abbreviated definition somewhere and we thought it actually changed in our favor to say that anyone who's been together a long time and could prove it were still considered conjugal, regardless of why they couldn't live together

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
thanks, i was looking for that, we had seen an abbreviated definition somewhere and we thought it actually changed in our favor to say that anyone who's been together a long time and could prove it were still considered conjugal, regardless of why they couldn't live together
No - it hasn't changed. As others have said, you don't qualify for conjugal and will be refused if you apply through this stream. Either get married and apply or live together for a year and then apply.

rorylangan

Mar 11, 2017
No. Those are not appropriate barriers. An example of a potential barrier:

Divorce is illegal in the Philippines. An individual married but separated meets a Canadian. They cannot get legally divorced, and they cannot get a visitor visa to come to Canada as they are rejected for tourist visa. THOSE are true immigration/legal barriers because they cannot marry or cohabitate. This is just a rough high level kind of example but it demonstrates exactly what is meant by conjugal barriers. Academic and living constraints would not fall in this category. Nothing stops you from living together for a year or marrying.

Very few proceed successfully with conjugal. You need to go the marriage or common law route or else you will end up wasting a lot of time and money. Like I said above, we are outland Irish (married) and am happy to help you with any questions that I can should you wish to proceed :)
Just following up the other day, have a couple more questions after talking with my girlfriend. If I lived there for a year with her or we got married? presumably the outland application would easily apply to us, as I would have to go home to locum as a doctor to keep a decent wage going. Cant do that in Canada unfortunately. And what is the landing timeline would you know? thanks again