+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Confusions about Super Visa application

aman.alam

Star Member
Nov 14, 2017
Bangalore
Hi Folks,

I am a PR holder, and I want to invite my parents to live visit with me on a SuperVisa.

But When I use cic.gc.ca to apply for their application, it asks me to go through the eligibility questionnaire.
In the questionnaire, and the wizard later on, I have some confusions:
  1. The wizard doesn't clearly ask how many people I want to apply for, although I have indicated that the primary applicant (let's say my father), wants to come in with an accompanying family member.
    Is that okay?
  2. The "Type of visa" field in the wizard doesn't have 'SuperVisa' listed in it. Even if I clearly state that the applicant needs to be a visitor for more than 6 months, the end suggestion is only a Visitor's visa for "over 6 months"
    Is this normal? How do I denote that I specifically want a Super Visa?
  3. What is a "Representative's Submission Letter" ?
  4. Proof of means of Financial support : My parents are retired, what should they show? Just their current bank statements?
  5. Can our passports be the documents showing that they're my parents?
If someone can provide me with any answers or logic that I am missing, it will be a great help :)

Thanks,
Aman

Last edited:

Copingwithlife

VIP Member
Jul 29, 2018
Earth
I’m going to let senior members answer your questions , however your parents can apply to VISIT you , they are NOT allowed to live here with you , regardless if they are all alone in India . You only VERY recently landed in Canada , like within the last six months , leaving your parents in India was a choice you made when immigrating . There is a program to sponsor parents , the PGP , but you won’t be eligible to go into process to apply and HOPEFULLY be picked for a number of years
As well immigration will see you only recently landed and it seems almost automatically you are applying for your parents to come and “visit “ you . You’re jumping the gun

aman.alam

Star Member
Nov 14, 2017
Bangalore
I think I got some of my answers, so putting them down here:

2. The "Type of visa" field in the wizard doesn't have 'SuperVisa' listed in it. Even if I clearly state that the applicant needs to be a visitor for more than 6 months, the end suggestion is only a Visitor's visa for "over 6 months"
Is this normal? How do I denote that I specifically want a Super Visa?
I figured out that the problem was in the "how are you related" field. I had filled "parent/grandparent" in it, thinking in my head that what they want to hear is something like "I am their parent/grandparent.
But looks like the what the question actually wanted to hear was something like "They are my child/grandchild"

Once I filled this up, the "Super Visa" and "Sponsorship of Parents" kind of options also started appearing.

1. The wizard doesn't clearly ask how many people I want to apply for, although I have indicated that the primary applicant (let's say my father), wants to come in with an accompanying family member.
Is that okay?
I continue applying on behalf of my father, and denoted that he wants to bring a family member (my mother),
But this remains a confusion. I'll probably open their separate profiles.

3. What is a "Representative's Submission Letter" ?
So any applicant can hire a representative, and in that case that hired representative needs to provide them a submission letter.
I changed my application to indicating that we haven't hired anybody, and we don't need this anymore.

4. Proof of means of Financial support : My parents are retired, what should they show? Just their current bank statements?
This field disappeared, which is great :)

The only question that still remains is : Can our passports be the documents showing that they're my parents?

Please help with it.

Regards,
Aman

aman.alam

Star Member
Nov 14, 2017
Bangalore
I’m going to let senior members answer your questions , however your parents can apply to VISIT you , they are NOT allowed to live here with you , regardless if they are all alone in India . You only VERY recently landed in Canada , like within the last six months , leaving your parents in India was a choice you made when immigrating . There is a program to sponsor parents , the PGP , but you won’t be eligible to go into process to apply and HOPEFULLY be picked for a number of years
Sorry if my usage of "live with me" was confusing.
I am aware of the sponsorship and other routes, but the point here was that I wanted to get an option of Super Visa, which allows them to visit for a max of 2 years in each visit, and 'stay' with me in my apartment (I'll edit the original question)

I figured out how to go about it, found a few of my answers myself, and posted them here

Reactions: amaterasu

subodhp

Jun 19, 2019
Toronto
I continue applying on behalf of my father, and denoted that he wants to bring a family member (my mother),

So any applicant can hire a representative, and in that case that hired representative needs to provide them a submission letter.
I changed my application to indicating that we haven't hired anybody, and we don't need this anymore.

The only question that still remains is : Can our passports be the documents showing that they're my parents?

Please help with it.

Regards,
Aman
You can use your father's profile to submit application for your mother as well. In questions where it asks if anyone else is traveling, you mention mother and it will start showing expected documents list for mother. An additional document will be required in family applications which will ask for your mother's consent to let father apply on her behalf as well.

You can use passport family pages to show your relation with parents, yes.

aman.alam

Star Member
Nov 14, 2017
Bangalore
You can use your father's profile to submit application for your mother as well. In questions where it asks if anyone else is traveling, you mention mother and it will start showing expected documents list for mother. An additional document will be required in family applications which will ask for your mother's consent to let father apply on her behalf as well.

You can use passport family pages to show your relation with parents, yes.
Thanks!

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
You don’t have an NOA proving LICO so you won’t qualify for supervisa. Although it doesn’t specify that you need the NOA we have seen most applications without it refused. Canada also wants to see you established on your own before having your parents visit longterm or people would treat it as moving to Canada with their child. You should wait and apply in April/May if you are able to show your 2019 NOA meets LICO.

aman.alam

Star Member
Nov 14, 2017
Bangalore
You don’t have an NOA proving LICO so you won’t qualify for supervisa. Although it doesn’t specify that you need the NOA we have seen most applications without it refused. Canada also wants to see you established on your own before having your parents visit longterm or people would treat it as moving to Canada with their child. You should wait and apply in April/May if you are able to show your 2019 NOA meets LICO.
Thanks, that's some good insight.
Is NOA Notice of Assessment, and LICO = Low Income Cut-Off?
Sorry I am bad with these abbreviations.

If yes, then do I have to show that I have more than LICO only through NOA?
My employment letter and pay stubs can prove that I already satisfy the criterion.

And, is NOA generated only yearly?

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Thanks, that's some good insight.
Is NOA Notice of Assessment, and LICO = Low Income Cut-Off?
Sorry I am bad with these abbreviations.

If yes, then do I have to show that I have more than LICO only through NOA?
My employment letter and pay stubs can prove that I already satisfy the criterion.

And, is NOA generated only yearly?
Yes abbrev are correct.
Future earnings don’t count. You will have to show that you have already earned LICO amount this year beforeyou apply. Yes NOA is once a year since it is the assessment summary of your income taxes.

aman.alam

Star Member
Nov 14, 2017
Bangalore
Yes abbrev are correct.
Future earnings don’t count. You will have to show that you have already earned LICO amount this year beforeyou apply. Yes NOA is once a year since it is the assessment summary of your income taxes.
Thanks so very much, you saved me a lot of money.
I started working in July, so does that mean I should get NOA and apply only in or after July, then?

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Thanks so very much, you saved me a lot of money.
I started working in July, so does that mean I should get NOA and apply only in or after July, then?
You file your taxes in March or April 2020 and then will have your NOA2020. Will have meet the LICO with your salary from July-December 2019?

taniam00

Jan 26, 2016
Category........
Visa Office......
Abu Dhabi
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
02-05-2016
AOR Received.
Nil SA June 3 2016
File Transfer...
June 3, 2016
Med's Done....
June 21, 2016
Interview........
no interview background check started Oct 4,2016
Passport Req..
October 18, 2016, application approved Nov 14,2016
VISA ISSUED...
November 10, 2016 All the glory to our God!
can anyone tell me did they apply for their parents super visa online while you are in canada and your parents in their own country? i wanted to apply for my mom who is in india and i am in canada. am i able to do the form online and sign it? or does she have to sign it either online or on paper application?

aman.alam

Star Member
Nov 14, 2017
Bangalore
can anyone tell me did they apply for their parents super visa online while you are in canada and your parents in their own country? i wanted to apply for my mom who is in india and i am in canada. am i able to do the form online and sign it? or does she have to sign it either online or on paper application?
I am in the same boat.

This is a slightly different question that you have asked, but here's a quick answer:
So I will fill all their forms, using my computer and Adobe Acrobat Reader, and then send the PDF to them.
My parents will print the form, sign it, scan the signed form again, and send it back to me.
I'll use the upload copy.

All this, whenever I have NOA

aman.alam

Star Member
Nov 14, 2017
Bangalore
You file your taxes in March or April 2020 and then will have your NOA2020. Will have meet the LICO with your salary from July-December 2019?
Thanks!

No, from my Salary of July-December 2019, I won't meet LICO.

In the meanwhile, can I get them a normal visitor's visa? Will that be approved, in your opinion?

rana91in

Jun 11, 2018
I think I got some of my answers, so putting them down here:

I figured out that the problem was in the "how are you related" field. I had filled "parent/grandparent" in it, thinking in my head that what they want to hear is something like "I am their parent/grandparent.
But looks like the what the question actually wanted to hear was something like "They are my child/grandchild"

Once I filled this up, the "Super Visa" and "Sponsorship of Parents" kind of options also started appearing.

Please help with it.

Regards,
Aman
Hi Aman, When you selected the relationship as Child/Grandchild did you have to pay $170 biometric fee?

I am currently facing this issue, when I select the relationship as parent/grandparent, the biometric fee is $85 however when i change it to Child/grandchild it increases to $170. I guess I might be doing something wrong. Any help would be much appriciated.