+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Confusion :(

Sabeen99

Jun 14, 2018
Hello guys

I am quite confused on claiming points for my work experience.
Actually, I was in India while pursing my masters degree in University. But at the same time, I was also employed by another research centre in Bangladesh. They used to send me raw data and I have to analyse and help them on preparing reports. I used to work virtually (it's like a remote working)

My job title was "Research Officer" and job duties are quite similar to NOC 1254. It was mine part time job. So Can I claim points for this kind of work or not because I was physically present in different country at that period of time ?

navinball

VIP Member
Feb 26, 2018
Hello guys

Actually, I was in India while pursing my masters degree in University. But at the same time, I was also employed by another research centre in Bangladesh. They used to send me raw data and I have to analyse and help them on preparing reports. I used to work virtually (it's like a remote working)

My job title was "Research Officer" and job duties are quite similar to NOC 1254. It was mine part time job. So Can I claim points for this kind of work or not because I was physically present in different country at that period of time ?
i dont think you can claim points for part time work. you need to work atleast 30 hrs per week to claim points for work exp.

ishq74

Champion Member
Jul 18, 2017
Hello guys

i dont think you can claim points for part time work. you need to work atleast 30 hrs per week to claim points for work exp.
Sorry Navin I like your posts but this time you got this absolutely wrong.

Part time work also eligible for express entry if it is continuous and equal amount of full time work. Read below-

Minimum requirements
Skilled work experience
Skilled work experience means you’ve worked in 1 of these National Occupational Classification (NOC) job groups:
  • Managerial jobs (skill type 0)
  • Professional jobs (skill level A)
  • Technical jobs and skilled trades (skill level B)
You must show that while working in your primary occupation you performed the duties set out in the lead statement of the occupational description in the NOC. This includes all the essential duties and most of the main duties listed.

Your skilled work experience must be:
  • in the same type of job (have the same NOC) as the job you want to use for your immigration application (called your primary occupation)
  • within the last 10 years
  • paid work (This means you must have been paid wages or earned commission. Volunteer work or unpaid internships don’t count.)
  • at least 1 year of continuous work or 1,560 hours total (30 hours per week). You can meet this in a few different ways:
    • full-time at 1 job: 30 hours/week for 12 months = 1 year full time (1,560 hours)
    • equal amount in part-time: 15 hours/week for 24 months = 1 year full time (1,560 hours)
    • full-time at more than 1 job: 30 hours/week for 12 months at more than 1 job = 1 year full time (1,560 hours)
For part-time work, you can work more or less than 15 hours/week as long as it adds up to 1,560 hours.

We don’t count any hours you work above 30 hours/week.
https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/services/immigrate-canada/express-entry/eligibility/federal-skilled-workers.html

Regarding part time work calculation, original poster can refer to the following thread-
https://www.canadavisa.com/canada-immigration-discussion-board/threads/part-time-20-hours-per-week-acceptable.537871/#post-6640041

Sabeen99

Jun 14, 2018
I
Sorry Navin I like your posts but this time you got this absolutely wrong.

Part time work also eligible for express entry if it is continuous and equal amount of full time work. Read below-

Minimum requirements
Skilled work experience
Skilled work experience means you’ve worked in 1 of these National Occupational Classification (NOC) job groups:
  • Managerial jobs (skill type 0)
  • Professional jobs (skill level A)
  • Technical jobs and skilled trades (skill level B)
You must show that while working in your primary occupation you performed the duties set out in the lead statement of the occupational description in the NOC. This includes all the essential duties and most of the main duties listed.

Your skilled work experience must be:
  • in the same type of job (have the same NOC) as the job you want to use for your immigration application (called your primary occupation)
  • within the last 10 years
  • paid work (This means you must have been paid wages or earned commission. Volunteer work or unpaid internships don’t count.)
  • at least 1 year of continuous work or 1,560 hours total (30 hours per week). You can meet this in a few different ways:
    • full-time at 1 job: 30 hours/week for 12 months = 1 year full time (1,560 hours)
    • equal amount in part-time: 15 hours/week for 24 months = 1 year full time (1,560 hours)
    • full-time at more than 1 job: 30 hours/week for 12 months at more than 1 job = 1 year full time (1,560 hours)
For part-time work, you can work more or less than 15 hours/week as long as it adds up to 1,560 hours.

We don’t count any hours you work above 30 hours/week.
https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/services/immigrate-canada/express-entry/eligibility/federal-skilled-workers.html

Regarding part time work calculation, original poster can refer to the following thread-
https://www.canadavisa.com/canada-immigration-discussion-board/threads/part-time-20-hours-per-week-acceptable.537871/#post-6640041

So Can I claim points for this kind of work or not because I was physically present in different country at that period of time ?

bimale4bipeople

VIP Member
Apr 15, 2018
Hello guys

The Masters Degree which you have mentioned, was it obtained in Canada or in India ?

bimale4bipeople

VIP Member
Apr 15, 2018
I did my masters degree in India. In the same time, I was employed by another research centre in my home country (Bangladesh).
Ok, I asked it because if the Master's was in Canada you cannot claim for the Work Exp gained during the education done here...
But since you said you did your Master's in India, you could "possibly" claim it.. provided...as @ishq74 mentioned above you meet the required criteria and have documentation that you can provide along e.g. Letter of Reference.

Sabeen99

Jun 14, 2018
Ok, I asked it because if the Master's was in Canada you cannot claim for the Work Exp gained during the education done here...
But since you said you did your Master's in India, you could "possibly" claim it.. provided...as @ishq74 mentioned above you meet the required criteria and have documentation that you can provide along e.g. Letter of Reference.
I do have reference letter from my employer explaining my job duties, working hours and salary, but they used to provide me salary on cash on every 4 months when I go back to my home country on vacation. Does pay slips are necessary ?

bimale4bipeople

VIP Member
Apr 15, 2018
I do have reference letter from my employer explaining my job duties, working hours and salary, but they used to provide me salary on cash on every 4 months when I go back to my home country on vacation. Does pay slips are necessary ?
Salary slips are not necessary to be uploaded since your LoE already contains a reference from your employer....
I did not understand the Home country on vacation part ? can you please elaborate ?

Sabeen99

Jun 14, 2018
Salary slips are not necessary to be uploaded since your LoE already contains a reference from your employer....
I did not understand the Home country on vacation part ? can you please elaborate ?
As I used to be in India for most of the time, it was not possible for them to provide me salary (cash) on my hand, so on every 4 months I used to go back to to Bangladesh during my semester break and on that instance they used to give me my pending salary for 4 months period.

bimale4bipeople

VIP Member
Apr 15, 2018
As I used to be in India for most of the time, it was not possible for them to provide me salary (cash) on my hand, so on every 4 months I used to go back to to Bangladesh during my semester break and on that instance they used to give me my pending salary for 4 months period.
Oh ok, so you are from Bangladesh studied in India for your Masters... I assume it would have been a full time Master's course...
So that kinda raises the question, whether your work experience will be full time or part time... What does your Letter of Reference mention Full Time or Part Tme?

@DelPiero07 can you review and suggest ?

Sabeen99

Jun 14, 2018
Oh ok, so you are from Bangladesh studied in India for your Masters... I assume it would have been a full time Master's course...
So that kinda raises the question, whether your work experience will be full time or part time... What does your Letter of Reference mention Full Time or Part Tme?

@DelPiero07 can you review and suggest ?
It was full time master course. My worked part time (22 hours/week).