+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Confusion regarding Q9 Form 5532

Shaarl9

Aug 30, 2020
While filling out the 5532 form (Q 9) yesterday a thought came to us that we did not do a wedding in the strictest sense (traditional or civil). We did what was 'real to us' within the constraints of our religious views (complete atheists) and the impact of COVID-19. We had an engagement ceremony (just the two of us) on the 12th of December where we exchanged a diamond ring, cut a cake and popped a champagne. That was followed up with a celebration dinner along with an exchange of gifts with our close family at the same hotel where we had the engagement ceremony. The Mumbai Registration office did not seem to mind that at all and approved that as our wedding date and legally registered our wedding on the 22nd of December with all three parents (2 of mine and 1 of my partner) acting as witnesses. Our marriage certificate shows 12th Dec as our "wedding" date and we are wondering if this will get us into trouble? Our proof of relationship is extremely strong and we have had multiple receptions/parties since 12th December to celebrate this union, including - a party with the family to recognize the registration of the marriage, a second reception/exchange of gifts party thrown by my father, a honeymoon weekend spent at a 5 star hotel, and a family outing to a nearby villa.

Background -> https://www.canadavisa.com/canada-immigration-discussion-board/threads/spousal-sponsorship-indian-citizen-and-canadian-pr.700462/