+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Confusion in id requirements for citizenship application

aregm

Mar 31, 2019
Hi,
In 2 places (link1, link2) it says health insurance card is ok as 1 of 2 ids, in another place it says ids should have photo in it.
Which one should I consider right? My kid only has a PR card as a Canadian issued ID with a photo. I am wondering if I can use his provincial health card (no photo) as a 2nd id or should I use his foreign passport?

Flourpower

May 19, 2022
I am not an expert, but as I understand it, you can use a PR card with another Canadian govt issued ID ONLY and you can use a health card (including photo less) as an ID, as long as one of the two IDs has a photo.

PR card + foreign passport would not work. PR card with provincial health card should work

armoured

VIP Member
Feb 1, 2015
Hi,
In 2 places (link1, link2) it says health insurance card is ok as 1 of 2 ids, in another place it says ids should have photo in it.
Which one should I consider right? My kid only has a PR card as a Canadian issued ID with a photo. I am wondering if I can use his provincial health card (no photo) as a 2nd id or should I use his foreign passport?
Simple suggestion, include all three. In fact, I'd really recommend providing one extra as IRCC itself seems to sometimes confuse how these requirements interact.* We had one returned because they didn't count one of the docs for some unknown reason.

*Because they're terribly written and unclear, e.g. PR card may be used as ID only if the other one was issued by 'the Canadian government' - which is not clear because we live in a federal state and none of the other documents given as examples are issued by 'the Canadian government' but by provincial governments in Canada. [Note with exception of the few who may have travel documents issued by the feds, which with rare exceptions only applies to refugees.]